Empty space next to fireplace!

Jenna Hart_HadarFebruary 17, 2013
Help please! My husband really wants a TV in this room and I want to HIDE it. We only have about 48" of space. Any ideas?!? Thanks
lizadiaz
I would extend the fireplace up to the ceiling and add built in cabinetry to the left of it. You can then place the television in the cabinetry to properly conceal it. The mantle should also be a different color so that it stands out and doesn't blend into the color of the wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:32AM
Jenna Hart_Hadar
I love your ideas! Unfortunately we do not have the budget to extend the fireplace, or do custom cabinets. I do think painting the mantel would be doable! Thank you!
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:40AM
hhwest
a big tall plant..even a realistic fake one .
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:48AM
fyrkit10
I would consider a mirror, about the size of the door on the opposite side, with a rustic finish or perhaps mirrored [houzz=
]. Regarding the TV, maybe on the wall opposite the windows? or.... above the fireplace. The mirror is lovely (I need one like that for my stairway ;-), but proportionally, it doesn't work for me there.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:23AM
Jenna Hart_Hadar
Can't place TV anywhere else :( should I gulp put tv over fireplace, gulp gulp
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:30AM
fyrkit10
I understand your hesitancy - I too wouldn't want to put it there, but if there is no other option, and it would work better than along side of it... Is it a flat screen? Does it 'fit' dimensionally-speaking?
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:41AM
lizadiaz
If you can't extend the fireplace, then mount the television above the fireplace. I would still paint the mantle. You then need to find something to fill the space to the left of the fireplace. A plant, or a cabinet?
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:42AM
Patricia Gold
The tv can be hung over fireplace and be concealed to look like a pce. Of artwork but the tv screen will shine thru when its turn on with a remote.
There are also tv boxes that can be installed over fireplaces to hide tv and again a piece of art work can be attached but with a remote the front of the box lifts up so you can watch tv. Much less expensive than the first suggestion.
Companies for both of these suggustions are online. For further info shoot me an email if you're interested i have them in a resource file . Best of luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:45AM
lizadiaz
If you keep the area of the television clean, it can really add to the overall comfort of the room. here is an idea to keep in mind.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:47AM
nononanna
I think that you have an L-shpaed unit, but is there any chance you could move the sofas 90 degrees right and put the tv to the left of the fireplace? Above the fireplace is better, but not too high because it becomes difficult on your neck to watch it if it's up too high.
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:55AM
Ramona
What size tv? I would vote for it being on the left. The stark white of the wall against that dark, dark stone bothers me. If tv cannot go on the left, or even it it can, remove all the molding, paint the wall a color which harmonizes with the stone, install the tv above the fireplace but make sure that it doesn't overwhelm the size of the fireplace. That would be a huge tv, so I doubt you will get one that big. A tv on the left will not overwhelm that huge fireplace. But your angle for viewing there might require rearranging your furniture. Hiding the tv costs quite a bit while getting on the left and de-emphasizing it will be much easier.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:58AM
I would not hang the TV over the fireplace. Instead, I would put a small console to the left of the fireplace and either set the TV on top or mount it above on an articulating arm. This assumes you can reconfigure the sectional so it faces the other way. Finally, I would replace the mirror with three matted and black-framed prints side by side to echo the black rectangular television now in the corner.
Martin Console
Reclaimed Wood Tall Console Table
1 Like    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:13AM
Find three images you like for over the fireplace. (I wouldn't use family photos here, but that's a personal choice.) Maybe don't even frame them. Have giclees printed in black-and-white and line them up.
Living Room / Dining Room.
Emma Harris Hunting Collection
    Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:26AM
What to do with empty space near fireplace?
Just moved in to a new place that has a large fireplace...
jdetellis
I have this exact fireplace next to an empty hole in the wall.
For years I've been hauling my This Ends Up 2...
gwen333
Empty space next to the desk
Dear Houzzers,I am pretty happy how my desk turned...
inna1975
8' of empty wall space
Hi Everyone! Any idea on how I can utilize this big,...
mhf310
empty space for tv... what to do with it??
I have a square cut out in my wall that was designed...
amyyou78
microwave in island
What is the opinion of having a microwave in the island,...
cosmokelleyr
Bad tile / grout job, thoughts?
Help! Can't believe this happened to me after...
D B
Porch help
Hello. We bought this house last spring. I am trying...
espiess1
Bed room
I need leg for aspelund
Jose Leon