Help finishing this design!
texastee
Trying to balance this wall, but not sure how to complete it with the arched entry to the master bedroom. Should we add built-ins in the niche? Bring the tile all the way to the ceiling/floor? Start over? Thought of using natural stone instead of the modular art dune tiles...but they were expensive and don't really want to scrap the tiles... Note that the tiles will be smoothed out with caulk btwn the seams. The tiles can also be painted. Open to ANY ideas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
dmilloy77
tile colored paint just in the rectangle behind tv,( to top of lower shelf and bottom of upper shelves), leaving wall color at shelves, should go a long way to help you like space better, and is the fastest cheapest idea i can think of to start with...
February 17, 2013 at 8:29AM   
Jill Coert
I love those tiles. I would tile even with the niche (to the top of the niche and to the floor). I would have even tiled the niche! Love the fireplace and the off-center shelf. If that is too expensive dmilloy77's idea to paint the niche the color of the tiles is a great one. I really like the color of the tiles - very beachy. I think I would take out the top shelves in the niche, and mount the TV on the wall. If you are going to leave the shelves in the niche, I would paint those too, and get seagrass baskets if the ones you have look too dark. I also love your fish! Great start!
February 17, 2013 at 9:25AM   
texastee
Thanks Jill - my husband made the fish out of metal! I like your ideas!
February 17, 2013 at 9:28AM   
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I would take the tiles from floor to ceiling. Instead of painting the niche, pain the shelving White like the tiles.

I would also remove the fish. They look disconnected from the space an they are the wrong scale. Move them to a smaller wall and put them closer together.

Replace the fish with a nice contemporary piece of art to really make that a feature wall.
February 17, 2013 at 9:30AM   
texastee
I agree with you re: the fish - they are definitely not staying there! Tile floor to ceiling great idea- do you think the mantle/shelf would need to be changed out or would a large art piece above suffice? Maybe witha tall ceramic type vase with tall bamboo sticks in the left to balance it out...? Also, built in cabinetry in the niche is an option (white contemporary cabinetry?). Thanks soo much Kevin - love your ideas!
February 17, 2013 at 9:37AM   
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I personally think it needs to be a little thicker. If you can't do that, add 2 more rows of wood to have a modern plank look:

February 17, 2013 at 9:46AM   
texastee
Awesome-I get the idea-I' m going to do it! I'll upload photo's when it's done. Thanks again Kevin for your help!
February 17, 2013 at 9:49AM   
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I look forward to seeing it! Be sure to let me know when it's done.
February 17, 2013 at 9:57AM   
texastee
Will do Kevin! Thanks again.
February 17, 2013 at 10:00AM   
.
February 17, 2013 at 10:16AM     
Jennifer Hogan
I feel your first instinct is dead on - the room is out of balance with the large white focal area being off center and two dark holes on either side that are different widths.

You need to brighten the entertainment area so that it is part of the focal wall space.

Just playing below . . . switched the fish around - made the back of the TV space deep blue, moved the TV up a little bit and added white where the drawers are - maybe clean white cabinet doors?
February 17, 2013 at 11:01AM   
texastee
Wow Jennifer - some awesome work - thank you!! I think it looks great! Groveaxle, just adding the vases really helps the balance issue as well. Jennifer, do you think being isn't the FTP tile up to the top of the niche would help as well? Thanks for confirming my thoughts re: the balance.
February 17, 2013 at 11:54AM   
I like the asymmetry of the wall. Play with the mantel decor. One or three tall objects on the right to balance the two fish on the left.

Try changing the baskets in the bottom of the entertainment center to white or cream. I think that might be enough. I'd hate to see you get too fussy and spoil the lovely geometry of the room.
February 17, 2013 at 2:11PM   
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would run the white tile to the floor and ceiling. Hang something large and round over the mantle on the white tile. Maybe a large (black?) framed mirror, to add another curve to the space because of the arched doorway. Paint the entertainment unit white later if you think it needs it.
February 17, 2013 at 2:23PM   
Barbara Griffith Designs
PS run the mantle all the way across the tiled area.
February 17, 2013 at 2:23PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I would not run the tile floor to ceiling, I think it is a great asymetric design. Running it floor to ceiling with further emphasize that it's not centered. You will have a little piece of wall with the doorway that is going to feel like a leftover.
February 17, 2013 at 2:29PM   
Jennifer Hogan
This is a beautiful example of typical danish asymmetric design.
February 17, 2013 at 2:59PM   
joannpb
What a great, asymetrical wall! I think Jennifer's ideas are spot on. Don't add more white tile or change the mantle, unless you're going for matchy-matchy "contemporary".
February 17, 2013 at 3:27PM   
texastee
Jennifer I think you're right about the floor to ceiling making the arched doorway area look like a left over. I think bringing the white over to the tv area is also necessary as Groveraxle says. Any ideas what to put above the tile on the wall? I think the fish need to be moved as the scale is a bit small. Thanks everyone soooo much for the excellent ideas!
February 17, 2013 at 3:55PM   
Jennifer Hogan
Do you need anything above the tile? Typically art should be hung at eye level. When I look at your room I think the eye level would be the mantle shelf.

That said, if I were to place something above the tile I would use a long narrow piece of art.

Remember - your home should reflect your personality, only buy a piece of art that truly makes your heart sing. Use that for your inspiration on the accent colors in the rest of the room.
February 18, 2013 at 9:39AM   
cam27525
Your fish remind me of 80's weekend at Bernie's style. They. Must. Go. Put your tv above your mantel.
February 18, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Design Dilema Update, 14mos later, I still need help finishing my room!!
Hello again!! It's been 14 months since I first posted...
I need help in designing and finishing a gameroom/wine cellar.
I don't have details per se as I would like to know...
Need help to finish LR design
Moved into a new house a few months ago and am working...
Need ideas for a backsplash
Just moved in to our new house. I want to change the...
Living Area
I am trying to arrange my living area and am getting...
Living room and new sofa help!!
Hi there! My boyfriend and I are moving into our first...
Remodeling our Basement...! I need ideas please
We are putting ARDESIA BLUE tile on our basement floor...