Laundry room - half-bath divider
beekay33
Part of a renovation to our house will include a small room that is a half-bath on one end and laundry area on the other. Would love to hear ideas for dividing off the laundry area other than bi-fold doors (take up too much space). Thanks!
Eagledzines
Do they need to be divided off? Use under-cabinet appliances with a folding area on top. Cabinets could be put on top if desired.
February 17, 2013 at 1:21PM     
Creations Nadia Interior Design
if you really need the doors - why not to put sliding doors? :))
February 17, 2013 at 2:18PM   
beekay33
One side will be stacking washer-dryer; one side counter/cabinet, shelves above. Sliding doors would close off one or the other; not easy to use the space.
February 18, 2013 at 4:27AM   
beekay33
eagledzines - This may be what we have to do. We would need to be much neater with the laundry area than we have in the past, though. ;-)
Thinking of a curtain on a hospital track as it could be pushed to the side of stacked washer/dryer most of the time or vertical fabric blinds. Thoughts on those? Or your creative ideas?? Thanks!
February 18, 2013 at 4:35AM   
Eagledzines
You could use solid French doors. I definitely would not use a hospital track system. I don't think vertical blinds could take that kind of use. They would be getting pushed in and out.
February 18, 2013 at 4:57AM   
I always dislike curtains as room dividers. They have a college-apartment vibe. What if instead of cabinets in the space beside the washer/dryer, you used a rolling laundry cart. Then you could use bypass doors. When you do laundry, simply roll the cart out; return it when you're done.
February 18, 2013 at 5:07AM   
Do you HAVE to stack your machines? It is possible to put them side by side?

That way you could build a counter on top as Eagledzines suggested. It seems there is no creative solution for your current predicament so is it at all possible to change the environment. You would have so much more space (visually as well) and you could add cabinets or shelves up top.
February 18, 2013 at 5:11AM   
Eagledzines
Do you have room in your bathroom for an organizer? This is a DIY project. The baskets also serve to separate the laundry by color, etc. It could be made taller if you needed it to be
February 18, 2013 at 5:38AM   
Creations Nadia Interior Design
then i would keep the machines open and put some cabinets on the wall above :))
February 18, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Blinds Direct Canada
Sliding panels work really well I use them quite often as room dividers.
February 18, 2013 at 6:34AM   
apple_pie_order
A curtain is likely to look very informal and make-do. I suggest you revisit your laundry organization plan. How about drawers in the bottom cabinet instead of shelves, so you can keep laundry soap and what-not in there instead of out on top shelves? Then add a closet rod above the counter for hanging things directly out of the dryer. An alternative that may suit your laundry style is a wall mounted drying rack. Some are collapsible, others stay in place. Some of the Italian designs are quite sleek looking, several wood varieties are informal looking (search amazon.com).
February 18, 2013 at 6:47AM   
beekay33
Thanks all! I like eagledzine's DIY laundry organizer and no, washer-dryer don't have to be stacked, so I'm definitely rethinking that. And I had thought of sliding panels also. So appreciate the ideas!
February 18, 2013 at 11:37AM     
February 18, 2013 at 11:49AM   
beekay33
Judy M - Thanks for the pics. These are excellent. I could definitely see this working.
Someone asked the room dimensions - will be approx. 6'7" wide x 10'8" long with a pocket door to enter on the long wall.
February 18, 2013 at 1:54PM     
half bath into half bath AND laundry room
The space is 4.5 feet by 8 feet - want to have toilet,...
Narrow half-bath transformed into narrow full bath
Our project house had been used as an office and had...
Half-Bath remodel help please
House is casual traditional - red brick f-place flanked...
Starting from scratch, Need help with this basic half-bath.
This small functional half-bath is the most used bathroom...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
weather new wood
How do you get that grey weathered look on new wood?...
Paint
Building a new home. I'm leaning towards a medium gray...
kitchen cabinet crown molding
My ceilings are 9 feet, upper cabinets are 42"...are...
Need help choosing a backsplash
Attached is a photo of my kitchen. There currently...