Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nagoose

Black kitchen walls?

nagoose
11 years ago
I just saw some really nice rooms using black. I am thinking of painting the walls of my kitchen black.

The countertop is unoiled soapstone, the backsplash is a gray-blue marble, and the cabinets are maple.

What do you think of black walls? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments (123)

• Vanessa Brunner
    11 years ago
    You can always try and introduce black via accents too! This ideabook has some great suggestions and specific paint colors to try: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/cooking-with-color-when-to-use-black-in-the-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~6289286
  • allthingsmodern
    11 years ago
    I love that you thought to face the cabinet flanking the frig with three vertical panels --- great integrating choice.
  • laurae1967
    11 years ago
    How about a modern patterned wallpaper in dark gray?
  • PRO
    WSCB, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Love your kitchen - it really is beautiful. If you feel the need to paint, the idea of gray would be stunning. Perhaps do the tile wall in a slightly different strength than the other walls - really make it the focal point (which it already is). Whenever considering paint, I always buy a sample, paint it on a few poster boards and then place them in varying spots to see how I like the color at different times of the day. Also, the mock ups people did for you with the black are great to give perspective - I would like to point out that the ceiling was black too in the mock ups which you prob would not do in actuality. My point being it wouldn't be as dark as the mock up. Please post pics of your progress!
  • PRO
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Black I do think you would eventually regret, dark contrast with subdued color however, I think you would love.
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    Painting any walls black should automatically come with a price tag of ensuring that there is proper lighting (if there isn't already). It can look beautiful in the right setting, but you must have the lighting to handle it.
  • riverrose
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I painted a single wall VERY dark charcoal, almost black, color is 'cracked pepper' it gives a look of blk but without the stark chalk board look and without looking grey. I love it. The rest of the walls are a slight ivory, which you would have that contrast in your cabinets. I'd refrain from doing the ceiling, besides the black up against the lighter ceiling lines gave a nice crisp sharp edge finish. However it was not a kitchen and my room has no natural light but looks great anyway.
  • kbardel
    11 years ago
    You have so much gorgeous light wood, and black walls or dark grey would look amazing!!!! Do it! be original, you can always change the lighting later if you really needed to. I love rich dark modern colors, so I totally get the look you are wanting to do. Please post photos, with whatever you will decide!!!! Its going to be fantastic, don't overthink it so much. Only you can understand your own style.
  • somethingelsebyd
    11 years ago
    black walls with stainless steel accents
  • katydidit
    11 years ago
    Not enough light in this room for black.
  • slsf61
    11 years ago
    Don't do the black with the countertops, it will detract from how great they look against the wood of the cabinets. How about wallpaper to bring in some black? You could do something modern with just a bit of black to coordinate with the counters. If not wallpaper, how about just a texture on the wall like florentine plaster?
  • Cassie
    11 years ago
    I think you should paint it grey, not black. Black might look ok at first, but it might make your
    kitchen look really really dark. And I don't think that the cabinets would look good with black. :)
  • ideahuntress
    11 years ago
    Hi
    Your kitchen does look very good and for what its worth here are my two-cents .
    I would have done the tiles farther up the wall. Either in line with the bottom shelves or in line with the bottom of your cupboards . I do love the shelves and think maybe the problem is the bare walls above . I think so nice artwork would compliment the shelves and make the wall look better overall .

As for the paint I am a lover of the quirky and not following the herd but I would definitely not go black . I think if you did a dark grey (with undertones of black) that the room would look nicer . I know there have been some pictures put up of black walls but a lot of the rooms are very big with a lot of light .

I think I'd put a lighter grey then on your other walls and then go for maybe a print material on your window furnishings with colours such as pistachio , purples , oranges even a steely blue all of which would compliment the grey well.

Have fun whatever you do as sometimes too much advice is a bad thing lol
  • hartz374
    11 years ago
    I have a friend who has a black kitchen and it looks quite elegant opening to her dining room. You could use some modern molding if you need a stopping point for the paint.
  • Sara Williams
    11 years ago
    I think a lighter warm gray paint would look good on the walls. Counters are dark, tile medium, then paint lighter...a progression (I hope that makes sense). And I like where the tile ends as is.
  • nagoose
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and mock-ups. The mock-ups really are helpful to see. I have Photoshop, but I don't know how to use it. Was it easy to do? Kevin, I like the art work you used.

I am definitely thinking a light to medium grey. I am thinking to paint the stove wall and under the cabinets on the fridge wall the grout color we used and then possibly a different color for the rest of the kitchen. The grout is by Mapei in pewter and I attached a sample. So the second color would start above the cabinets and to the left of the shelves.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    Good Luck. Post when you are done painting.
  • nagoose
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Or a lighter grey.
  • Kate
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen is very nice and I love the shelves. I like the idea of more tile. I think the shelves would look even better with more tile. Starting with a paint that is similar will help give you the feel and help you decide if the paint is enough or to go with tile to the ceiling. I think the other wall with cabinets should have tile up to the cabinets if you decide to add more tile to the stove wall. Would love to see the end result. :-)
  • susanvanderberg
    11 years ago
    I think the black will add an air of sophistication and flair! but why don't you "paint" the wall virtually and see what it looks like! there is a computer program available here on houzz where you can change the wall colors on the photograph, and then you will be able to see exactly what it looks like before going through all the trouble first!! Good luck - I think it will look stunning.
  • bat80233
    11 years ago
    This is a lovely kitchen. Love the shades of grey in the countertop and backsplash. They look great with the light cabinets. Once you gave us a closeup of the shelves it became more apparent why you had to have them. Please post an updated picture when/if you paint or add tile.
  • tashabug
    11 years ago
    You have a beautiful kitchen. I agree with using a medium charcoal paint. I love the first mock- up picture done by Kevin. It really highlights the maple cabinets.
  • Dana C.
    11 years ago
    A medium -dark "greige' (brown undertones on all the walls would look great. It's an earthier, more natural color than black. The shelves are great. Get your color cues from them and the tile. You can lighten up areas with "organic" fibers. The key is using fewer, larger items for impact and to keep it "clean". nice job!
  • PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    11 years ago
    Susanvanderberg how do I find the program on Houzz to change the colors of a picture? Thanks.
  • kimmey49
    11 years ago
    This is a lovely kitchen, and I can see how it grew up around the shelves, they're gorgeous. I'm a big fan of black but I do agree with others here that it may look a little 'stark', I would go with the 'shades of grey' idea, I think it would give you that 'edge' you're looking for but in a much softer way. Also I do think you should carry the look through into the eating area.
  • marilenab
    11 years ago
    Hey, I wouldn't paint it Black. How about orange, turquoise or green. If your backsplash has a blue tone, why don't go for a bright blue? I think, a nice color will give you a perfect morning or any time in the kitchen. Could you imagen, how depressing it could be, to wake up an have breakfast in a black room, when it is still dark outside? Or dinner? Probably it is full of light now, but what happens in winter and autum time?
  • missyme
    11 years ago
    I painted my kitchen walls black in my previous house and it was gorgeous. The painters were extremely skeptical. They thought I was crazy. I held my ground. No one could see it but me. THEN, when they put that first tentative brush stroke of black paint, they were shocked. They loved it. For the next year, my doorbell would ring and it would be one of the painters wanting to show off "their" black kitchen! I knew it would be awesome, but sometimes you have to just do it for other people to see it. When you first posted, you were thinking about painting your kitchen black. You have all the makings of a phenomenal space. Go for black. It will be stunning. Your kitchen, as is, is perfect for black.
  • LaTanya Garrett
    11 years ago
    I have to agree with missyme, when you say it people can't see it but once it;s done, wow! I let my daughter do her room and it was awesome i've since opened a salon and had the same experience. I wanted a very chic black with whit and chrome accents along with a bright color as accents and no one could see it but me until it was done and always remember it's paint, change it if you don't like it. Happy painting!
  • cibbb1
    11 years ago
    If you want a black wall kitchen I don´t think that painting the walls is a good idea, go for the extreme, go with black backspalsh tiles. I put it in my new white kitchen. I hope you like it because I love it.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    I love grey. My kitchen is light grey, my MB is charcoal. But I have to say that I think black would be stunning. You could bring the tiles up to the bottom of the shelves and paint black up from there. LaTanya is so right...."it's only paint". I can't wait to see the finished produt. I'm sure it will be wonderful whatever you decide.
  • soosieq
    11 years ago
    Yes to the black walls! I have black walls in my kitchen and love them!
  • cherstine
    11 years ago
    I can't think of anything more depressing! A black kitchen does not promote life, warmth & happiness or passion for food... and yeah the list could go on and on. The black will bring in the walls whatever you do! If you do go for black walls make sure you have plenty of lighting!!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I love your kitchen and am sooo glad you posted up close pictures of the shelves.... Which begs me to ask the question- do you NEED the shelves for storage of what's here or do you have some flexibility with items? The shelves themselves are an awesome design statement. If you could put pieces that complement them in style but don't distract from their beauty that would add visual interest while also providing a place to put things- think matching stacked plates/coffee cups, wine glasses... The "style" would mimic your taste but provide function as well as be appealing to the eye.
  • rnluvs2jetski
    11 years ago
    Both of Kevin's options are gorgeous!! I would definitely choose one of those!
  • Rhodalynn
    11 years ago
    I think a medium/dark gray tone would look great. I just painted my cabinets Benjamin Moore Rocky Coast #1595. They look fabulous. I don't think black would do it in your kitchen.
  • Lawrence
    11 years ago
    i like the comments of 'tennisanyone'. no black walls, add some matching wall cabinets on the left. the idea of using a tile is interesting, but from the ideas posted, a good paint color still feels best.
    i note with interest that your extra photos were taken at night & the windows are 'black'!!! yikes! just for the fun of it, why don't you print those out, & then use marker to color in black walls.
    hmmm, not so good. 'kudos' to all you folks doing the 'windows paint' mock-ups!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    As long as your stick to a black that has warm tones - rather than blue undertones to it.

You also need to be sure you have lots of high contrast - which, you currently don't have.

To use black in a space you need to ensure you have lots of natural and incandescent light. I've attached an article on using black in your space to help with this decision. If, in your mind its still the right thing to do then go for it.
  • debwill105
    11 years ago
    No to black - but you can find a dark, rich colour that's better. Check out Benjamin Moore "Willow" a brown/grey blend that is stunning. I've seen it done on the main floor of a home - fabulous! It will enchance the cabinet colour, pop the counter top and compliment the backsplash. It's warm, welcoming and inviting. Leave the ceiling a fresh white.
  • trudels
    11 years ago
    Only paint black if you have tons of natural light from skylights or massive windows otherwise no not black, sorry
  • PRO
    Design Alternatives, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Definitely no black in the Kitchen. It will show all the splatter and grease build up that occurs naturally in a kitchen.
  • Kelly Williams
    11 years ago
    I have a bathroom in my home with black walls. I think it looks very modern and unique. I say go for it!
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    Dark charcoal gray or black.....no green
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    Hands down - go for charcoal gray in a tone that works with the backsplash. It will be a beautiful compliment to the cabinetry. Do all the walls the same color or the stove wall a shade darker.
  • PRO
    Design Alternatives, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Black for a bath is a lot different then for a kitchen. More stickey grease involved.
  • PRO
    Trends and Traditions Inc
    11 years ago
    Go grey I say!
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Black can be appropriate for a kitchen if the kitchen is the right size and has a lot of natural light etc., but my personal feeling is that it isn't the best choice for your particular kitchen. The gray seems to unify the space where the black breaks it up. See the images below. The gray, to me, seems to be much more flattering. A colour close to the backsplash would be perfect, or tile the entire wall with the same tile on that side which would also be stunning. Again, we are all expressing personal opinions and ultimately it's your space and it should reflect who you are :-)

I really like the left image that Kevin posted.

Hope you post after shots.
  • PRO
    EB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Would you consider painting a deep eggplant color instead? It would look really nice off the silver and cabinet color...
  • Pamela Rakoczy
    9 years ago
    I am a very big fan of color, intense color. I think the cabinets and the shelving and the big windows opposite are fantastic.
    A greyish brown charcoal like color that coordinates with your tile and the lighter colors in the soapstone would coordinate and add drama to your space. Keep the ceiling light and give it a nice warm white to keep your space open. It doesn't look like your ceilings are exceptionally tall, so I would not paint the ceilings a dark color.
    Houses are to live in, not to worry that you have to stick to a specific decorating scheme/style. Again, as many others have said, paint is relatively cheap and can be changed easily. Get a few big poster boards and a few of the sample sized colors from your paint store of choice and put the painted posterboards up on the walls to either side of your stove area and see how you like them.
    Best of luck, Pam