Galley kitchen redo: tear down the wall?
Siobhan Roth
We are renovating the galley kitchen of our 1918 row house. I'd like some communication between the kitchen and the adjacent room --traditionally the dining room in these row houses--by tearing down the narrow wall shown in the photo and building a counter or bar.
How might we do that while retaining the style of the dining room moldings, retaining the (needed) radiator and not making it look too kitchen-y on the dining-room side. (Storage on the kitchen side, no matter how shallow, would be a nice plus. )
Many thanks for your ideas!
Allison MacPherson
Yes, take down wall but check to make sure it is not load bearing. A long Island with barstools would really open up the space and give you a lot more counter space.
February 17, 2013 at 6:03pm     
cwalbrun19
I don't know much about this, but it seems the radiator might be an obstical in taking down the wall. What I can speak to however, is that in old homes totally taking down a wall can seem awkard. My parents ended up adding more wall to an opening to create an archway and you would be amazed at the difference. It made the space make sense, where it wasn't quite right before. I would go with a arch in the space to keep it true to the style. Bonus, if this is a load bearing wall, that means you would need to leave a header, which an arch would have anyway, so you can probably remove part of it no matter what.
February 17, 2013 at 6:10pm     
Siobhan Roth
Thanks, both posters! I like the idea of an arch. Maybe a squared arch, if that's a real thing, to keep the feel of the moldings. This is a load bearing wall and will need a steel beam. An arch helps solve that issue.
Soon I'll be asking about flooring. I look forward to your opinions!
February 17, 2013 at 6:15pm   
Looks like you've got electrical to deal with too. Maybe you should imitate the front door and add a transom at the top. You'd have to seriously redo the kitchen for it to go with the green room. I don't see that it is a simple project.
February 17, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Siobhan Roth
Oh. To clarify, I'm only interested in knocking down the wall on the radiator side of the dining room.
One idea is to expand the doorway almost to the wall at right, which would echo the dining room's wide doorway into the living room (not pictured). The next question,then, is how to integrate the bar/counter and radiator enclosure with the edge of the door frame?
We're thinking white stone or marble counters in the kitchen with dark wood cabinetry. But should the wood on the dining room side be white? So awkward-seeming. Maybe we could flip the color scheme for this bar: white cabinet or legs with a dark live-edge wood countertop?
February 17, 2013 at 7:15pm   
More Kitchen Counterspace (cost to tear down closet and/or wall)?
We are in contract to buy a condo with plans to remodel...
Mr. Homeowner; Tear down that wall !
Old kitchen hadn't been touched for 20 years. The scope...
I need to open up my house. Is it expensive to tear down walls.
I need to open up my house. Is it expensive to tear...
Can new electrical wiring be added without tearing down walls?
We purchased a home, built in 1920 with some later...
Is this backsplash too busy?
We are in search for our new backsplash. Main goal...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Roof height with exposed trusses 2.5 or 3
Worried about our roof height of 3m with exposed trusses....
NEED HELP WITH kITCHEN.
I am remodeling my kitchen. My kitchen combines with...
What does it need ?
What does my house need ? Seems dull and want to brighten...