Caledonia granite, white cabinets......what color backsplash
jzurawski14
Hello,

We are remodeling our kitchen, and we are looking for a backsplash. Our countertops are caledonia granite, our cabinets will be white, and our floor will be chocolate brown (wood). Because the granite has a very tight, consistent pattern, we were thinking of a simple backsplash - perhaps a solid subway tile.

We want to keep the kitchen warm, and not emphasize the gray in the granite. Here is a link where the granite can be seen (http://www.marble.com/materials/granite/Caledonia). The attached is the kitchen before demo, but you can see the busy backsplash with the existing white cabinets (we were able to reuse the countertop). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
dalma darling
I think if you want to simplify the backsplash the subway tiles would look great. It's such a classic and clean look. The updated floors are going to make a world of difference - I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Please keep us up to date!
March 13, 2013 at 7:15AM     
Showcase Kitchens
You have an opportunity to bring brightness to the wall and even with under counter lighting, will add pop to the whole room. Attached is a kitchen we did using subway tiles in a cross hatch pattern. Adds interest without being busy.
March 13, 2013 at 7:45AM     
Stoneshop
If you want to diminish the gray in the granite, I would pair it with a creamy travertine subway tile. You could do a tumbled finish if you want more of a rustic look, or a honed finish if you want something a little bit cleaner.
March 13, 2013 at 7:47AM     
A. Peltier Interiors
Great suggestions above and really I think you are off to the right start. I would definitely go with a simple tile like subway tile. But you still have MANY options with subway or any other single color tile. Especially if you are going to choose a simple white tile it could look really nice to do a different pattern. You can try a herringbone or even a diamond like showcase kitchens. Here re a few photos for you so you can see how a different pattern can really add another ayer and dimension to your kitchen.
Angie Keyes CKD - DesignWorks- Kitchen & Bath
Modern White Kitchen
March 13, 2013 at 8:56AM   
Showcase Kitchens
Good suggestions from Peltier Interiors. What about a monochromatic pattern? See another backsplash we did behind a range.
March 13, 2013 at 9:01AM     
jzurawski14
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We decided to replace the caledonia with Giallo ornamental. Guess what........we are looking for a coordinating backsplash!!!! We may go with the same subway tile we used on our fireplace.
June 16, 2013 at 7:30PM   
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
patterned rug vs. plain
I am slowly getting my house back together after having...
Wall colour to compliment tile?
We have chosen these beautiful Moroccan cement tiles...
What are your thoughts?
What do you guys think about the color of the wood...