Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanderedthere

Box shaped floor plan

wanderedthere
11 years ago
Just bought a vacation retreat that needs a lot of work. The floor plan is basically a box with the two bedrooms down 3/4 one side with the remaining 1/4 kitchen space. The other side from the entryway is all open open space to the end wall. The current owner has two seating areas and then the kitchen table.. We don't need two sitting areas but what to do with the space ? Someone suggested another bedroom right by the entry but feel like it would really look odd. I don't have any photos to post yet; but this only the beginning of the renovation.

Comments (17)

• olldroo
    11 years ago
    wandered, probably the best way to start is to fully assess your needs - buying the property is one step, deciding how you will use it other than merely a vacation retreat, is another. The fact this is a part time home means you will want it to be as organised as possible so you can walk in/walk out with very little effort. Is it mountain/ski retreat or a beach retreat. In this respect I'm thinking you might need some of the living area at the front door to remove wet snow wear and store gear or cope with sandy feet and beach towels. How do you envisage living there, are two bedrooms enough for your needs or would you need the third? Will you have friends calling/staying. Might a Murphy bed or sofa bed be a realistic addition Are you the sort of person who mixes well so you might be entertaining other holidaymakers and need a large living area. So many variables that only you can consider. Sum up all the possiblities and then decide just what space you need. After that, you may even answer your own question, otherwise come back with some photos and your needs and we will love to help you.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    A library or office would be ideal next to the entry.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I do actually, if I have a little office in a vacation home I suppose I could spend more time in the vacation home. Just close off that office and relax at the end of the day

It really depends on what stage of life the home owners are in.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Good point, I guess it does depend on your attitude towards it - having it to continue working while on vacation is not good, but having it to extend your vacation - now that is a whole different thing.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Exactly ! that is a better way to put it olldroo :)
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Hey, wandered there, have you wandered off?? Tell us more.
  • wanderedthere
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I have been waiting for the floor plan to post and should have it later today. Thanks for all the comments.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Easy, I know a very good decorator who lives in one country and is working for a client in another country on his home in a 3rd country - and they are nowhere near each other. Thanks to the internet this isn't as hard as it sounds. I will send her across to this thread. Where are you and where is your vacation home? Do give us some feed though on your plans and needs.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Thanks roo, hi wandered by your postings are located longitude 0-40w? I am in Europe and can perhaps provide assistance?
  • wanderedthere
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Top floor is a total renovation and the wall with the sliding glass door faces the water. We're not sure if the bathroom can/should remain so open to suggestions. To avoid major costs, we would like to keep the kitchen in the same space. It has a small island but needs new countertops.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Is this top floor your living area? Is the bath a bathroom or a powder room. More info would definitely help us to help you.
    Is there a bottom floor...? What is on it? What is the building made of? These must be taken into consideration for helpful advice.
  • wanderedthere
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry. I thought I attached both floor plans. The first one is the top floor which needs a complete renovation and not sure if it's a full bath or powder room as we've only seen partial photos. Bottom is the layout just attached. Stucco outside which also needs a paint job which at this point is probably the least of my design problems. Many thanks !
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    On your lower level floor does the main room have any view – which side? Your plans show your lower flower as a rectangle but I think I have worked out by your staircase location that the upper floor has only the far right portion (over the kitchen area) that you have marked in yellow.
    Here is my next set of questions:
    1.What is the maximum number of people you would like to sleep in this home?
    2.Do you want fixed or temporary sleeping solutions (ie another bedroom – or fold out sofa)
    3.You say your place is by the water – I assume beach/lake? So it is a hot/warm climate?
    4.Upstairs seems to be an open room – will you have everyone come upstairs and use this as the main meeting room? Then what do you downstairs?
    5.If so, keep a powder room/bathroom but re-design it with a division so that it can act as a powder room separately and/or a bathroom
    6.Keep the kitchen in the same place.
    7.To avoid costs, don’t move any plumbing, bathrooms, kitchens or if you can, avoid any major electrical re-wires to other parts of the house
    8.What are your walls made of? In the US they are much easier to access = $. Where I am you need a jackhammer to route paths for wiring... = $$$
    What is it that inspired you to buy this place? The view? How do you imagine yourself living in it? Where would the main gathering place be? What activities will you be doing (swimming, hiking, surfing..?) How long will you be using it? Do you intend to rent it out? I think you need to meet with a designer and work these questions out to fully realize your project before you even think of starting work. Best of luck
  • wanderedthere
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Probably 6 adults and grandchildren at some point. Hot climate and on the bayside. We plan to redo all the decking from the second floor leading down to a patio area underneath. You have a view of the water from side of the house with the patio doors and kitchen window (see the bay it if you are looking out the kitchen window), Sliding glass doors on the second floor offer the bay view.Based on our past experience with entertaining, most of our friends prefer to hang out in/around the kitchen area or our balcony so I don't see moving everyone upstairs. I'm happy with flexible sleeping arrangements but my other half would prefer a 3rd bedroom. Main activities are going to be going to the beach and golfing. For now, we'll only use it during the summer months. Eventually, moving there permanently.Walls won't be a problem as they are drywall. Thanks so much. I'm new at all of this and very nervous on where to even start !
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Well just off the top of my head, with 6 adults, you will need 3 bedrooms so can you make the side door your entrance and close off the front door area for another bedroom. You could put a closet backing the closet for bedroom 1 to leave access to the A/C and then take the rest of the space in line with the wall between bed 1 and the common bathroom for the bedroom. The remaining space looks large enough for a living area with a dining area where the fireplace is. You will need generous space for 12 people. With 6 grands, could you convert the upstairs to a dorm or 2, leaving the bathroom intact.

When you do move there permanently, are you likely to have that many people all at once? I'm thinking in terms fo simple wall structures to make it useful now but that can be changed later if necessary. If the stairway is a standard metal circular staircase, I think I would consider changing that in time to a more conventional stairway - as you age it could become difficult to use. Not sure about fire codes either.

Lots of great ideas on Houzz

[houzz=
    Bunk Room · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Lake Conroe Spanish · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    could you envisage making all the upstairs your bedroom? With a library or reading area?
    Below you already have two bedrooms so you could turn your entrance (French door front) into a hallway and add another long room to its right as you enter up to the side door. This would keep your view from the front right through to the sliding glass door and allow room for your to house grandkids. This would mean you could keep parents and kids on that floor and you could hide away for privacy and quiet when you need to.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH