Kitchen-Cabinet finish/color and existing trim color
atcagh
We have finally decided on a layout for our kitchen redesign and remodel, but I am now stuck on look and finish of new cabinets. The current cabinets match the trim in the entire downstairs (which is not the color I would choose for cabinets), and our new kitchen will be more open than ever to the adjacent spaces. I'm not sure exactly how to blend the cabinet color/stain with the rest of the trim work-especially crown on cabinets and rest of kitchen and adjoining rooms. Does this make sense? I'm a decor dummy so this is probably a simple thing but I can't get my head around it! I'm attaching a few pics. The wall with the fridge and odd hole in the wall is coming down which Will open the kitchen into the family room which has both paneling and LARGE fireplace painted existing trim color. Hardwoods are going a darker espresso brown. What color for cabinetry and how to blend?? Let me know if more pics of my messy home would help :)
nancymcb
Same problem! I'm updating my worn maple cabinet kitchen. by painting them white. The trim throughout my house is the same color white and I've been told by some to paint the cabinets the same color as the trim. However, others have said definitly NO, paint them a slightly different color white for contrast!! Not sure what to do since there are so many white colors to choose from!!!???
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
What is the color of your trim? You indicate that the trim color would not be your choice for cabinetry. Ignoring the trim color, what color would you prefer for your cabinets?
   February 18, 2013 at 8:05AM
atcagh
The existing cabinets and Kitchen trim are essentially white. They are slightly warmer than white but not even as yellow as antique white. The white appliances blend seamlessly- For better or worse. I like the idea of an off white or cream cabinet, a warmer color, but am paralyzed by blending that with the rest of the more "true white" throughout the rest if the downstairs. Also I'm not interested in taking the trim of the entire downstairs as warm as the cabinet look I like, which has me leaning towards darker wood stained cabinets, That would blend with, but not match, the darker hardwood floors
   February 18, 2013 at 8:20AM
A. Peltier Interiors
I think Deborah asked a more important question. For now forget about your trim. You're redoing your kitchen and pending a lot of money on it. I would spend time on Houzz researching what you want your finished kitchen to look like. Once you know that, then we can decide how to blend your current trim with what you want your kitchen to be. Really even if you wanted bright red cabinets, usually your trim just butts up to the cabinet and you have a break in color at the two. I dont see any reason to base you cabinet decisions around your trim that you have. Go through the kitchen pictures on Houzz and start collecting ones you like. Focus on kitchens you like with dark espresso floors. These will be great examples for you to see what looks good with that type of flooring. Then you will be able to make a better decision on your cabinets and we can then decide how to deal with your trim.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:31AM
atcagh
Thanks for the comment. As I mentioned, I tend to like the antique white/creamy colored Cabinets, but am concerned about the cohesion between the cabinet color and all of the white paint I already have going on in the adjoining family room with the fireplace built-ins and wood trim. Does that seem problematic to anyone else?
   February 18, 2013 at 1:14PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Here is a picture of a kitchen we did a good while back. The cabinets are called Cappuccino and are a very creamy white (lots of yellow undertone) and all of the trim in the house is painted an offwhite. We use the old Duron Shell White which is a warm white, but with no yellow undertone. The walls in the room are Laura Ashley Sand 4 which is a gold/beige. The floors are stained darker than yours but yours would work with this color scheme as well.

]
   February 18, 2013 at 2:16PM
atcagh
Thank you so much for sharing these photos, it really helps me to be able to see it in an actual kitchen. The kitchen looks great and I appreciate your suggestions. Does it change your thoughts at all that the fireplace and the paneling in the family room, which will now be "part of" the kitchen are the trim color? Just means that it is a lot more widely used than just the door, window frames, etc.
   February 18, 2013 at 6:49PM
merngirl
The cabinet you choose should have a selection of crown molding to go on top, like you have now. If the manufacturer has a crown molding that has a design in it, such as vines, or bounded reeds, or anything that has a graphic design in it, that may help you distinguish the competing crown molding of the rest of the room with the cabinets. I see your dilemma of off-white next to white trim. Making the cabinet trim more distinct will help. Also the book case is fine in the trim color, but maybe you could paint the brick the color of the new cabinets to give that same contrast across the room. Good luck! Beefing up the crown molding around the room may help too!
   February 19, 2013 at 10:04AM
Jayme H.
I love white trim. We have replaced much our original "dark walnut" trim with wider, white painted trim, baseboard and crown...we have ordered 3 panel doors, and my husband is going to spray those white also..Colors look lovely next to white trim, even light colored walls.
   February 19, 2013 at 10:09AM
Cabinets 4U, Inc.
Here is an example of creamy white cabinetry against a slightly darker cream wall, and white casings. I love the warm, traditional look.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:15AM
atcagh
Thanks so much for the feedback. I've been looking at pictures and getting a better idea of what different cabinet and trim combinations might look like. Thanks
   February 21, 2013 at 1:06PM
Knotty pine...EEK!
I just moved into an older home, and am in love with...
vinyl plank flooring on staircase
Stairs used to be carpet. We are putting vinyl plank...
need help to set my my desk..pool area
can u suggest how I decorate my terrace around the...
Lighting over kitchen island-appropriate chandelier size??
Hello! I have a large kitchen island that currently...
Help! Ivory kitchen cabinets with white plank ceiling?
We are doing white plank ceiling in our kitchen and...