I did this same cool bar with wall cabs. How did you support the granite overhang? Please let me know!!!
malcolmd1
February 18, 2013 in Photo Questions
Terri Wills, Dip. Building Technology
Thanks for the question!
This is actually a quartz counter top product. Whenever I do a counter top overhang, I always ask the supplier if they want support for the counter top, and how deep I can go without it. In this case, I did 10" deep (from the cabinet fronts to the front edge of the counter top where you sit at). The supplier was fine with this depth, so I did not need to do supports. It is still deep enough to tuck the stools under, out of the way. On another note, granite can be more dense or heavier than quartz, so depending on the granite that you choose, the supplier may like a support . I find it is the classification of "exotic stone" that seems to be more brittle, and needs support. If you do need a support, -and because you can't apply brackets to the cabinetry underneath because of the doors, you can use a strip of metal that would be screwed/mounted into the top of the cabinetry, and come out underneath of the granite. Depending on the size of the actual overhang, you may have to do a thicker support. The supplier of the countertop would need to know this thickness, and then they can recess the metal plate into the bottom of the stone. Hope that answers your question!

Terri
February 18, 2013 at 1:25pm   
malcolmd1
Good to know! I found an I-brace product online that was very reasonably priced. Thanks Teri!!
February 19, 2013 at 11:11am