Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmevans2004

Need help finishing my Living/Dining Room

Brandi
11 years ago
I'm updating the 80's outdated home I just moved into and need help giving this area the final touches! I really love this room but feels it just needs a few things to finish it. I'm not sure what window treatment it needs, so for now, I've left the shears up.
Also, I know the light green carpet is outdated, but its still in good condition and not in the budget right now or a high priority since the entire house needs updated!
I would appreciate any suggestions to give this room the final touch!

Thanks!

Comments (53)

• cjohnston
    11 years ago
    Could you post a few more pictures showing all 4 corners of the room?
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    With the attached picture and the other 3 above, you should have all 4 sides of the room
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @nramsey - I agree with area rugs but wasn't sure if I needed them in both rooms? Solid or patterned? Placement in the dining room?
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @DIA - that is something different! At first I wanted them gone, but the more I look at them, I liked how it divided the room into 2 separate areas. I like the idea of the metal gates... That sounds unique!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ deco - I did have the table and buffet centered under the light but you couldn't see the buffet because the table was in the way. I know it looked odd not under the light but didn't like the look with it centered. I will see of I kept any pics of it. I know the furniture is big but its just a few months old and then we downsized houses so I couldn't use all the furniture that was in my old living room.
  • Claudianne Young
    11 years ago
    I would paint the dividers, the table, and the dining chairs black. New hanging light fixture that hangs lower. Gray curtains to hang on the sides of the shears.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @deco - this is a pic with the table and buffet centered under the lamp before I striped the wallpaper and painted the room. You can't see the buffet like that and I really liked it because it was an old dresser that I painted and updated the hardware. Any thoughts?
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ claudiann - I never thought out painted the dividers either, but I like the idea of them black!
    The light was lowered but I thought it looked odd since the table wasn't centered, so if I pulled it up it wasn't as noticeable. I was thinking some kind of long lighting may look better than the chandelier look but I can't find what I'm thinking.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    If you paint the railing and table/chairs all black I don't think they will show against the dark red background you now have. I like them centered under the light but you can still set them at an angle. Since your chandy needs to be lowered maybe you can add length and swag the chain so that it hangs 36" or less above the table at whichever side you like it.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @deco- I'm so bad at decorating, but Houzz will get me into shape. So you want me to center the buffet in the middle of the wall, center the table (but still keep it at the angle it is), but I'm not sure how to swag the light so it will be centered over the table?

If I center the buffet, will the corners in that wall seem empty and need something? Also, I would like an area rug in that room. Should it be directly under the table, at an angle? Should it be a solid color or some pattern? I really like the red wall and want it noticed when people walk into the room! Thanks!
  • Judy Bumbles
    11 years ago
    The railing needs to be removed. Maybe a nice runner for the carpet. Roman blinds?
  • Kris Hall
    11 years ago
    With the railing removed it would really open up the space!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    New lamps, remove the railing, new pillows, get rid of the greenery on the armoire. Lamps need to be a bit taller and more bulky. New chairs around table. Remove paper and paint walls a pretty taupe.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @bev - I just striped the wallpaper and painted the room taupe with one wall pepper red, maybe you looked at the old picture. The bad thing is, I just bought the pillows, lamp and dining room table for this room when we moved here a Month ago! Any other suggestions or what to replace greenery on armoire with?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Something like this for a coffee table?....If you DIY you can paint and upholster a picnic bench too!
    Kilim Bench, Anatole · More Info
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think what may help is to bring another color down from your art above the sofa. How about a golden/lemon yellow? Pillows and accessories. I think that would punch it up a bit. Also, for above the armoir, instead of the plants, a collection of baskets? I also agree an updated chandelier would give the dining area some oomph as well.
    DwellStudio for Target Peony Decorative Pillow · More Info

Mt. Shadows · More Info

Mamo Vase · More Info
  • dblapins
    11 years ago
    I would remove the carpet and add hardwood floors- and remove the rail...it makes the rooms feel really small
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Right now I want to focus on the red wall because I feel that wall needs some charm!

From the suggestions given, I'm going to center the buffet on the wall and take the picture, lamp and greenery off it. Then center the table under the chandelier, but still keep it at an angle and lower the chandelier to 36" above the table (I think, may need to look at comment again). I don't have an area rug right now, but I will place it under the table. I will leave the red chair where it is in the dining room.

Now.... What do I do with the red wall and the black buffet?!? My thoughts, and this is why I need help, are to put a large picture on the wall or is having 2 large pictures close together to much ( the other is on the left wall in the living room). What should I put on the buffet? Will I need something for the corners on that wall or will the buffet be enough? I can take away with the lamp since I have the overhead lighting.

Please help me with that room for now! Thanks!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also, I was going to wrap white paper around the inside divider spindles to see if I liked the look suggested before I paint them.
  • PRO
    Advanced Construction Enterprises
    11 years ago
    Paint all trim white including crown, chair rail and base and casing white. Take down spindles because the step defines the area.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Two pictures would look great if they are big enough. On the buffet maybe even the lamps in the family rom and new lamps in the family room. Candlesticks on the buffet on one side or the same on each side. If you put the two pictures above the buffet, centered on the wall, something simple in the center of the table for instance.
  • PRO
    Advanced Construction Enterprises
    11 years ago
    I'd like 1 large picture to tie the colors together. The frame should incorporate another color other than the focal color red. I like 2 to 3 colors. Center the buffet and on one side a lamp and the other candlesticks or a couple of vases, nicknacks.
  • Kris Hall
    11 years ago
    I would paint the trim white to make the room look more modern.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Nothing on the armoire. I am sure it feels something is missing but my designer took everything off my armoire and it bugged me at first but the room now feels very calm.
  • Sue So
    11 years ago
    Great idea on painting just the spindles white. How about hanging the art on the buffet? I would also remove greenery from armoire. How about putting it flush against the wall and centering the clock?
  • Sue So
    11 years ago
    Yes, try white paper or fabric on the spindles - or use simple photo program to paint them in.
  • PRO
    Citapore
    11 years ago
    Probably use some inexpensive Dhurries for your decor..
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    I think a good-sized mirror on that back wall directly above the buffet could be quite striking, especially when you were entertaining as your chandelier,candles and glassware would look great reflected in it.

I agree that the room may look better without the divider, but taking it out would probably ruin the carpet that you need to hang onto for now. What about adding a strip of wood along the vertical part of your step up for a cleaner look at the divide?

I know you have only just painted, but could you overpaint the red wall with a lower sheen paint mix? The reflections from the pendant light are a bit much at the moment.

If you refinished your armoire in a similar style to the buffet I think it would tie into the feel of your room a bit better, and less is definitely more when it comes to putting things on top of it. If you are worried about the black buffet looking 'lost' against the deep red wall, a solution might be add matching floor-level uplighter cans on either side of it to make it stand out more.

I agree on the area rugs, they would help either area.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I've made some changes to this room and will post updated pics soon.

I centered the black buffet in the middle of the red wall and centered the table under the chandelier (I want to replace the light someday) but left the table still at an angle. I wish you could see the black buffet better but the table blocks it. I removed the tree from the right corner. I bought a large canvas picture that I love, to go over buffet, but waiting for my husband to help hang it. I also bought a candlestick lamp with a burlap shade for the left side of buffet, along with a small red vase. For the right side, I have 3 golden vases/jars. I'm still looking for an area rug to go under the table. I'm looking for a mostly gray rug with a little black in it.

That is it so far but a start!

I have another question...we really do like the updated look of white trim and our entire house has this wood trim in it. If I paint the trim in this room white, do I need to do all the trim in the house? Then what about the wood window and door trim, does it need painted white also? What will that do for the look of the wood bedroom doors, kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity?!?

I'm not sure how to tackle the wood trim painted white thing! Help!!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I also removed everything off the dining table and was working on a painted wine bottle centerpiece instead.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    To start, just paint the white trim in the living space, including the door and window trim. If you can't see the hallway doors, etc, it won't be that "bad". But,l I think you'll find after paiting the LR and DR trim the white, you'll WANT to do it everywhere. :)
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Darzy - I agree, I really liked the wood trim, but after researching and looking at pictures the white trim really makes it look up to date! I know you had mentioned the room dividers before, I think you said just paint the inside spindles, do you still think I should start with that?

Then my concern is, the door casing on the left side of the dining room leads to the kitchen. Should I just paint the inside of the casing in the dining area and the kitchen area would have wood trim for now?

Then, the opposite end of the room leads the entry way would have the same door casing and wood trim you could see.

That is where I feel once I start with the white trim, at what point does it stop?!?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I think just painting the spindles white (leave the top and entry sides natural wood) would leave enough wood the "speak" to the wood of your dining table and tv armoir. But, if you see the entry door trim when in the living room, I'd do that white too. So, basically, stand in the room and if you can see it, paint the trim white. (not counting the hallway/doors). The kitchen side trim may be the wood, but the dining room side of the same door trim is white. Eventually, you may want to paint the whole house trim/door white : ) No hurry tho.. take your time and do one room a month!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much Darzy! I will start with your suggestions. I have since, stripped the entry green wallpaper and painted it green with a reprinted black bench in there, so the white trim would look good in there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone....I finally got around to making some changes to my dining room and living room. I also bought light gray panels for the windows, but didn't get them put up yet. I'm leaving the shears up and will have 1 gray panel on each side. I still want to paint the trim white and get an updated light above the table, but that will have to wait for now.

Thanks for all the help...I love this room!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Gorgeous pic above the buffet with the umbrella lady...and the vases. Looking great!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Bev.... I saw that picture the first time and loved it but wasn't sure where I would put it. I went back to the store 2 weeks later and Houzz helpers told me I needed a picture and this was on sale this time... I couldn't pass it up!
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Mountaincobra - it's a big picture in the room but I really liked it, and it was on sale too! I can't pass up sales, especially when I had coupons too!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I love the pic over your sofa too!
  • Sue So
    11 years ago
    Wow love what you decided to do here! Love the art esp!
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations. Cheery Curtains offers a wide range of quality curtains at affordable prices. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to our website or just contact me directly at nophie@cheerycurtains.com :)

Nophie
    Cheery Curtains
    Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Looks really good! Love the new art, lamps and vases. Great job. It's amazing how a few changes makes a big difference. I noticed the gray shag area rug as well in the LR. Nice.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Darzy...little changes really can make a room look different. I don't think I could have come up with this look without everyone's help! I really love the room and will post pics once I get the curtains up and trim painted.
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    i love your room, I think if you remove the banister you will get an instant update. I also agree with painting the trim white, in addition to that I would remove the painting, remove pillows and paint the red wall either the same color as the rest of the room or a color that is not so much of a contrast.
  • Brandi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions rivers, but I just bought the pillows, both paintings, furniture and painted the wall red, so my husband wouldn't be to happy if I changed it within 2 months! Lol
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    OMG, maybe its just those things in combination with the carpet that is making the 80s feel. Since I knew you didn't want to deal with the carpet right away I was trying to come up with simple changes...lol any chance of remove the banister and painting trim?
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    Wow I like the grey rug it really grounded the room, good job....also I like the angle of the table.
  • Beth Bourque
    10 years ago
    You've turned the room into a hallway. Take it back! Bring your loveseat away from the window and place it a few feet in front of the step to force traffic around it and make it feel more like a room. Maybe put a console behind it with a lamp. Maybe even put the sofa in front of the window. Bring the chair in the corner of the dining area into the living room where it belongs. Maybe next to that big cabinet near the window.
    Get rid of the railings. Period. End of that story. Be prepared to warn company about not falling, but it's actually a nice feature that is being ignored. Table centered is a must. I'd also like to see your dining light lowered if that is possible. Paint that dark trim to match the wall.
    In general, your furniture is a bit large for the space. Re-think it when you're in a position to replace it. Your lamps need to be bigger, too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Dead thread from last year, Beth.