Need help with living room layout
dayjackie
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into our first house and this room is very far from where I'd like it to be. (Please be nice and not critique my curtain length). I was thinking of doing shelving on each side of the fireplace, and that I'd like the couch centred in front of the fireplace (where the futon is in the picture) but as you can see, it looks awkward there. We don't really have any furniture yet so I'm looking to get ideas from the people of Houzz first.

I'm at a loss about where to put pieces so it doesn't look like I just shoved a couch against a wall and called it a day. Anything would be appreciated. Help me make this space feel cozy! =)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think you'll be happier with a couch in front of the window and a pair of chairs facing the FP on the wall between the door and window. That won't block it up. A small apartment-sized sectional could float 18" out from the walls in that corner too. Then you could flank the FP with a pair of chairs or float them opposite the window. Problem is the huge TV. Think about beefing up the FP with a large surround and mantel so you can mount the TV above it. Right now the TV is overwhelming things.. Non--matching coffee and end tables, new lamps, an area rug and a drum light fixture will have your room looking good.
Amoroso Design
Chikara Drum Pendant
February 19, 2013 at 5:15AM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Chris Lloyd
Hi I just happened on your question.....Hard room to design. I would, though, go with separate chairs more than a couch in the room. If you want a couch go with like a loveseat. (can't tell how big the futon is but I am guessing it's a 3 seater?) I would put nothing in front of the window (you need lot's of light). Add some fake greenery in one corner (or real). I also think move the curtain rod down to where the window frame is. It's too high. Can you hang a tv in the corner above where it is now? Love the paint color. Money wise: have you thought of shutters for the window? Gives a clean look and then you don't have to worry about the curtains hanging nice behind a chair etc...Good Luck!
February 19, 2013 at 5:21AM