how can i decorate this room open floor plan
jordinsgrandmaFebruary 19, 2013
we gutted an old condo unit and made it into an open floor plan. this area is off the kitchen, used as an office/guest room area. we are in Florida, condo on beach, lots of light large windows. We are going to buy a sleeper sofa. I just bought this carpet.walls are Benjamin Moore milk and honey, white crown trim. , floors are traventine in chocolate. the rest of the open floor plan is Tommy Bahama style furniture tans and browns husbands choice, I just want something like a pretty sitting room thats bright and airy, I'm not sure how to furnish, need opinion on carpet. My husband had brought home one that i didn't like at all, and we replaced it with this and not sure if I like this either. I envisioned a cpl of pretty accent chairs, plants, etc. just need ideas, and constructive criticism I can handle!! don't be afraid to tell me what you think of the carpet. and thank you!
Ole Fredrickson & Son
Define the area with a couch and a couple of chairs. Put a medium size plant in the corner. Have a cofee table to tie in everything. Carpet is too disstracking for me. Usually use 2 or 3 colors to tie everything together. Pick one for the focal point.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:32AM
JB House Photography
I'm going to assume that you're not from Florida originally, and suggest some decorative photographs from where ever you and your husband are from originally. It will give you a positive feeling towards your old home and tie it to your new life in Florida, and will also be a potential conversation starter for visitors.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:37PM
I'd like the rug in a feminine bedroom but not here. With TB style a sisal or this one of his would be better.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:52PM
cypress
This is one colorful carpet, if you keep it, use neutral colored upholstered pieces, pick a couple of colors in the rug to use for accents (pillows,pottery,etc). Once you get your furniture pieces in, the carpet will be toned down. But make sure you really like it, there are so many choices in area rugs, sometimes it takes several tries to get the right one. Good luck to you!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:54PM
jordinsgrandma
well we are from a little town in Upstate NY and raised 10 kids in a house in the country surrounded by woods. Our home was all country, oak plant floors, cherry beamed ceilings, wallpaper, fireplace, woodstove, dogs and all! Kids are all grown, we have 8 grandchildren who now look forward to visiting us on the beach. So living on the beach and going from a 4000SF, 5 BR home, and moving to Florida in a one bedroom and an open floor plan 1600SF with intercoastal view. We were tired of the country look. It was awesome then but now we are starting fresh. We have been here for 6 years renting we just bought the condo and totally gutted it, took down walls and relocated bathrooms, etc. . Our furniture is Road to Canberra Bahama collection for our living room, but chose brown leather torres sofa, Island Estates for bedroom. We now have stainless steel, huge open kitchen granite counter, marble walls. A designer came in and picked out color, for the walls. I'm just having a hard time with this one room, because it's an open layout, it's clearly seen from all angles and I dont want it to clash. the pic is from the livingroom area looking towards the room in question.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:28PM
cypress
Your place looks great!!! Thanks for posting the additional picture. After seeing it I think a sisal rug or a natural fiber rug would look good in the room in question. I'm sure you will get more responses from others on Houzz, and their ideas, just go with your gut! Enjoy your beach condo, sounds like a wonderful place to be.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:41PM
olldroo
LOVE that carpet!! What a bold choice but it looks like my perception of Florida. Do you remember Golden Girls and Blanche's wild leafy bedroom?? Your carpet made me think of that. I think it will also define your sitting area too, but you will need to keep everything else reasonably plain. I would take the blue and cream from your carpet for accessories, you don't seem to have colour anywhere else, and this would further define that area. Definitely add plants - large leafed ones.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:49PM
Susan Mills Design
Hello jordinsgrandma, sounds like a lovely way to raise a family, and now time for you to enjoy a new phase of life. Your home looks cosy and welcoming. With all those grandkids coming to visit, I would suggest a slipcovered sofa in white. I have one and it's easy to wash and can be bleached if necessary. Do test out the sofa bed before you order to make sure it's comfy enough. Go with the deeper mattress, say 7 inches if you can. You can also find matresses that are part air bed and part mattress.

I am going to post some suggestions for your room. One sofa bed, either 7' or 8' whatever you can manage in your room. Two chairs, a coffee table and if you are placing a tv in the space, an interesting way to hide when not in use. Cushions should be in small print or larger if a motif like the palm fronds can be a bit larger. I like the burst of color of this side table.

Your rug is beautiful, very vibrant. Keep the sofa and chairs neutral, add color with cushions, art, side table and enjoy this new next chapter in life,
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:24PM
Susan Mills Design
Cushions! I love cushions!
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:26PM
Susan Mills Design
Hmm meant to add slipcovered style. It's Pottery Barn, this is also available slipcovered. I chose the roll arm as in my opinion it's more comfy for naps;)
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:28PM
Susan Mills Design
A ceiling fan would add much interest as well.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:31PM
I like Susan's suggestion of white upholstery. On the brown sofa, looking into this room, I like the apricot pillows, but not the other two. Replace those with white ones, so looking into the new room you see white on the leather and the white furniture. Love the sisal rug, the table. I guess I just want white pillows on the leather sofa. Whew...
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:38PM
jordinsgrandma
Thank you for all the great comments! I love everything suggested! Now to ind the sofa in a sleeper! The room is about 13' x 14.5' so it's decent size the window is about 10' so it covers the entire one wall
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 8:21PM
Susan Mills Design
Bamboo blinds with white linen drapes if you go with white slipcovered look. A three on one headrail with common valance would keep it functional and allow you to open the side windows.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 8:30PM
jordinsgrandma
Susan where would I find those gorgeous pillows?
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:53AM
Susan Mills Design
Oh dear lost the link, if you google tropical cushions Florida, I am sure you will find plenty! Click on images to see them all!
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:29AM
Open Floor Plan Decor Help
We just bought a mid-century style home. The dining...
Shana Stanley
Open room floor plan. Need help with adding more chairs, Etc
Curved green leather sofa that each section reclines....
Martha Bryant
Open floor plan - tieing it all together and open shelving HELP!
I love my open floor plan. BUT I am not a fan of the...
kholl25
Should I extend open plan living room paint into foyer & stairs?
Hi. My front door opens to the open living and dining...
Zee Owl
need help to decorate a myrtle beach open floor plan living ding area
I have taupe ape walls, creamy off white ceramic tiles...
lzrock54
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
Need help deciding on new garage door
We are in the process of deciding on a new style for...
janetandmatthew
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Great Room Lacks Some Style
I'd so appreciate some ideas to fit my Mediterranean/Transitional...
lamujerdegary