Can I move the dishwasher?
Kayla ThomasFebruary 19, 2013
We're remodeling our galley kitchen. It's 12 ft long, and once you get to the middle you hit the sink, followed by the dishwasher, and then the stove. The dishwasher fits in it's spot, but it has gaps on it's sides where it doesn't fit completely flush, and we are putting an apron front sink it, so I'm afraid also that it would look odd to have all of that in a row. I'm wondering if it would look okay to switch the position of the dishwasher to the other side of the kitchen. The base cabinets on the opposite side are 24", so we could easily switch the positions of the two (plumbing is accessible easily enough in the basement to switch around). I just don't know if it would be appropriate for a kitchen layout to move it from next to the sink...?
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
The reason for the gaps is there should be a support panel between the stove and dishwasher to hold up the end of countertop run. Then the trim on either side of dishwasher would seal it in flush. If you are replacing just the sink and not the counter, you will definetly need to support the countertop on both sides of the dishwasher, it can't rest on top of it unsupported. You certainly could move it to the other wall ans swap out a cabinet, but same situation with needing an end supprot for countertop. You just need to decide if the layout will be akward from taking dishes from sink across to dishwasher or not. If you feel comfortable with it and have it plumbed and wired correctly, then by all means go for it.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:21PM
Kayla Thomas
It is built with a support up and behind it, it just doesn't have any frame work on the front. I'm afraid the gaps are small enough that any trim wouldn't fit to make it look finished. I'm aware that I would have to build the support and end piece by putting it on the opposite wall. Countertops are being replaced as well. The cabinets are the only thing we're trying to salvage in the room, and they are going to be painted.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:24PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Since you are painting the cabinets, is there any way you can move some of them around and get the d/w in to the left of the sink?
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:28PM
Amy Southard
Absolutely, move the dishwasher! However you will probably need to order another cabinet to have an apron sink, since it has a front. Plus if the apron sink is done right there is support on the right and the left of the cabinet, so it will support the top.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:29PM
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Could you post a pic looking straight on to the sinkfront, dishwasher, and stove? Show the gap you are referring to, may be able to give a better solution if can visually see gap.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:35PM
Bonnie
For the best workflow the dishwasher and sink should be next to each other...
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:43PM
Kayla Thomas
Yes. Sorry the first picture wasn't great. Our house was built in 1937. I don't think the cabinets are original to the house, but I do think they are probably from the 50's and have just been refaced based on the other renovations in wiring that we found while working on this project. I think when this dishwasher was added they just removed a 24 inch base cabinet and put it there. It only kind of fits, and as you can see whoever did the countertops cut them too short.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:45PM
Kayla Thomas
Here you can see the cabinets on the opposite side. They are two 24 inch cabinets. The space in the middle is used as a trash bin. It's only is a gap with a front that flips open. It's getting a bit of a makeover as well. I said, when we remove a 24 inch cabinet there is Lee way to build a frame around a 24 inch dishwasher and make it look like it is supposed to be there.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:00PM
aniluap2
I do think it is odd to have the dishwasher next to the oven. As someone else suggested can you move it to the other side of the sink and put in a new side strip on the face of the cabinet box to hide the gap. Since it is such a small space I don't think it will be visually noticeable if one side is slightly wider and since the cabinets are being painted the wood doesn't have to match. You could move it to the other side but it's awkward loading and then you have your refrigerator an DW lined up together.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:07PM
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Those gabs are completely acceptable, and, although I don't like the term... " within industry standard " I agree with Twisted Minds, currently there is no support on the right side of the dishwasher for the countertop. Its just hanging there and / or resting on top of the dishwasher. That needs to be fixed and typically with a panel.

99% of all dishwashers are located to the right or left of the sink ( along with rinsing off dishes ) because its convenient to pick up the hot water and drain that your kitchen sink uses ( air gap and venting among other things ) Dishwasher also needs power, which obviously is already in its present location.

Moving the dishwasher isn't impossible, but unfortunately its going to cost you some money
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Moving the dishwasher to the opposite will will create an unconfortable working kitchen layout. You might consider moving the dishwasher to the other side of the sink. The new sink you are thinking about installing will be heavier than your current sink and you will have to cut the cabinets below to install. Make sure all the dimensions work before you buy the sink and that by altering you cabinets below, you are not weaking them.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:16PM
Kayla Thomas
Of course you are right, and there is no frame. I was thinking when I pulled the stove out last time that I saw a frame back there. But that is what the issue is. It isn't wide enough to fit a dishwasher there with a frame built. It leaves it looking unfinished to have the dishwasher but it'd right up against the stove without any trim in between I think.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:16PM
Lizabeth
Do you really want to rinse your dishes and shelp them dripping across the floor to the other side of the kitchen?
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:17PM
Kayla Thomas
The problem with the cabinets on the left of the sink is that they are 36 and 18 inch cabinets. We couldn't simply move any of the other cabinets we have around to make that work, and as we are trying to salvage the cabinetry in this project, we cannot buy new cabinets to put in place that would match. The faces of these cabinets look like they were handmade.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:18PM
Kayla Thomas
The distance between one side and the other of this kitchen is a mere 3 and half feet. If it was directly behind and slightlying right of the sink, when the dishwasher is open there's only about a foot gap between th door of the dishwasher in the cabinets on opposite side. It really wouldn't be that huge of a change except for instead of just bending to the right you have to been to the right and turn to get the dishes loaded. Still pretty close. Shrug.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:20PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Can't tell from the pictures provided, but it looked like you could take the 18" cabinet that is to the left of the sink and move it to the right of the sink up next to the stove. Move the sink cabinet over to the right 6" (up against the 18" cabinet) and then place the 24" d/w to the left of the sink. It appears the sink cabinet is currently 36" and that it is centered on the frame in-between the two windows. If you moved it, the sink should be in the center of the window on the right. This also solves the support issue for the countertop to the right of the sink.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:26PM
Lizabeth
It is your call. I would not find that comfortable, the twist and turn would not appeal to me. But if I makes you happy. Where is the cabinet that the dry dishes are loaded into after they are clean?

I guess if it were my kitchen I would move the stove out of the corner and place it to the left of the sink leaving at least 24 inch of counter between the two places.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:27PM
aniluap2
It seems like you are going to have to change the sink cabinet box to support the farmhouse sink and new counter, can they tweak the sides at that point? If all else fails its not a big deal if you have your dishwasher on the other side...after all you are the one who has to feel comfortable with it. By the way the cabinets will look lovely painted. Good luck!
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:39PM
Kayla Thomas
I know I wouldn't be uncomfortable with it, I'm trying to make it work for someone else as well. My husband is a resident, and will be finished in a year and a half. We're going to try and hold onto the house through fellowship in the case that he comes back here for a permanent position, but there is a chance we'd sell as well, and I don't want to spend the time working on this kitchen to put in a feature that's going to seem very out of place to someone else.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:53PM
1st Choice Cabinetry/ Professional Builders
My first concern is the sink you select. Most farm sinks are under mounted and a laminate top will not work. I am a Kitchen designer and I would want to see sink details before you go and buy or move anything.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
Lizabeth
If you may be selling in 18 months I would take that into consideration. I know you want to "save" the cabinets but you can easily build an open box without doors to fill the 24 inch space if a cabinet can't be transferred. Have your carpenter build the size you need and leave it open without doors. Just a painted interior would look fine or matching oak plywood if you prefer. Or buy one at Lowes and paint it after removing the door.

If you really might sell then you want to give the kitchen appeal to the widest amount of buyers. I would have trouble selling a dishwasher on the opposite side. Just saying.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:10PM
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Farmhouse sinks aren't necessarily undermount, they typically refer to having the face exposed, and depending on manufacturer can be set in, flush mount, or undermount. You can undermount in laminate, but is coslty and as far as I am concerned, there is too great of chance of water penetrating edge seal and causing problems down the road. If this may be a house you will sell in near future, I would hold off on the farmhouse sink and put the money into fixing up the cabinetry and dishwasher issue. This will likely be a deterement when trying to sell.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:11PM
True not all farm sinks are undermount/ most are but if she is using her existing postform top it has not been fabricated to recieve this sink. I completely agree with Twisted Minds.. Figure out the budget first. Moving the dishwasher and reworking the cabinets is an eaiser solution.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:22PM
JO
I like the idea of washing off dirty dishes and placing them in the D/W next to the sink, no puddles on the floor. I am right handed so it works for me, turning around to place dirty dishes across from the sink will interfere with another working area. Hope you get an answer from one of the many responses.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:24PM
aniluap2
If I'm not mistaken I think Kayla said she is replacing her cabinets a did not specify what medium she is using so some of the assumptions above may not be applicable.
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 4:01PM
Kayla Thomas
The cabinets are staying. The countertop is changing. We are using butcherblock countertop and we are using the Ikea Domsjo sink that sits on top of the countertop, and is secured with brackets underneath
    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 4:25PM
Kayla Thomas
Tons of measuring later...I think there's a way to keep the cabinets and move the dishwasher to the opposite side of the sink. So, we bought both the single and double sink from Ikea b/c we had a weird size sink cabinet, and didn't know which one we'd be able to make fit. With this rearrangement though, we should be able to use the double sink that my husband wants.

Currently, as you walk in, the cabinets on the left go 36, 18, 34 1/2, dishwasher (24), and stove (30). The opposite side has two 24" cabinets, with a ~10" space between that was made into a trash bin storage area.

So, if we rearrange the cabinets as you walk in as 18", space for trash bin (~10"), dishwasher (24), 36" converted to sink cabinet, 24", stove (30") it should fit. Then the opposite we'll move the sink base over and keep a 24 cabinet.

Size wise on paper, it all fits. Logistically though...any reason we can't use the sink base cabinet as a regular cabinet? I know it doesn't have working drawers now, but we have drawer fronts, and the 36" cabinet that we will convert to the sink cabinet has drawers. I have family members who work with wood, so I'm pretty certain they could cut the drawers down to fit in the smaller cabinet. Does this sound crazy, or like a better plan to keep the dishwasher next to the sink?
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:59AM
Lizabeth
ok sounds good. Curious if you left room for any filler strips? or will you do any adjusting in that space for trash bin. And I would like to hear how the Ikea sink install goes with that heavy sink. I have looked at that sink myself. Good luck and are you going to finish the Ikea butcherblock countertops prior to install? I have read some interesting ideas about that on Ikeafans. I had the ikea countertops in my previous kitchen and I attach a photo for you. Had them 8 years and they were great. I did sand them just prior to selling that house. I used the Ikea sink with drainboard then so I didn't have any issues with water damage.
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:21AM
Lizabeth
oops could not get photo link a sec ago
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:27AM
Kayla Thomas
Any adjusting will be done in the area for the trash bin. How it is currently, it's really just a space left between the two cabinets, with a hinged door face on it. We're planning to make it into a pull out instead when we redo it (because tipping it out on a hinge ends up with spilled trash, a lot). I am planning to measure, cut, and then sand down and stain and seal with waterlox before installing the butcher block.

The only thing that has me worried is how it's actually going to fit. The measurements work on paper, but it's really not changing any measurements to the right of the sink from past to current, but adding another 1 1/2" to the sink base. I don't want the darn thing off center of the window. Measurements say it will work, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it actually will! I probably won't be able to see until we just pull the cabs out and start rearranging.
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:31AM
Kayla Thomas
Lizabeth- I love it! Can I have your range? ;)

I'm going to stain the tops to a dark walnut. I know they're butcher block, but the goal is not to use it as butcher block. The cabinets will be white (or gray??? I keep going back and forth. Ugh.), and I know you can't tell b/c I posted the original beginning kitchen pictures, but I've removed the valence and heavy molding, added some height, and some more simple crown around the tops of the cabinets. We've redone the wiring to have a single recessed light over the sink, and two lights the length of the ceiling, plus bead board for the ceiling. Also used a router to remove the centers of the doors on a few of the top cabinets to have glass fronts, and have a wall of pantry cabs to go along where the refrigerator is to make it look built in. I'm so excited to be able to get this done, and have it all just WORK!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:37AM
Lizabeth
It sounds like you have it figured out. And I have heard good things about the Waterlox. I think you are going to very happy with the kitchen. I loved my white cabinets and wood countertops.
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:37AM
jeannemara
Kayla, I think your kitchen will look marvelous!
    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:52AM
No dishwasher.. Need help
We have an 11 by 10 kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher....
Joshua Legg
I really want a dishwasher
Hello. Opinions Please. I live in a 950 square foot...
midnightcassie
Can I mix a Bosch Dishwasher and an ElectroLux Stove?
I really like the features of this Bosch dishwasher...
Hilary Belous
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Needs ideas for roof over front door
We want an extended area outside the front door with...
asfriend
Help finishing my dining room
Looking for suggestions on finishing touches in my...
mom2asillywilly
plain split foyer needs more curb appeal....any ideas?
traditional split foyer, brick on bottom/siding on...
karenj676
Retaining wall replacement?
I am purchasing a 1937 home with a tuck under garage,...
lissyanna21