To stencil or not to stencil?
caitlynrose0319
I live in a cabin from the 1890's. It was the original home on the farm and since it's original purpose, has also been a tack shop and a storage building. Lately, it has been used as a home for barn help and presently it is my home. :) We were "forced" to tear up the kitchen and bathroom to lay new tile, and install a new toilet and water heater due to the old heater busting. So then we painted the kitchen and cabinets and refinished the gorgeous wood floors; darn... We also were able to find a compact refrigerator that looked like it belonged in the small, short kitchen.
So now I have painted the 70's wood paneling in the living room a warmish beige, with off-white trim. And I am left with the 70's wood paneling in the bedroom. Upstairs the paneling is warped. The northwest wall had to be taken down and replaced with really pretty horizontal pine paneling. I'd love to do the whole upstairs in that, but it's simply not an option for my student/bartender budget.
I have plans to fill the gaps in the panels upstairs and then primer and paint. I need opinions on whether or not I should stencil the paneling to help hide the warped areas.
My favorite look for stenciling is a glossy painted stencil over the same flat wall color.
Is it a good idea to stencil warped walls or will it make the warped places more prominent?

Thanks!!
Barnhart Gallery
Hello CR! I'd opt not to stencil, as you're right, it would only accentuate the problem. Are there any handsome horse blankets around that you could hang?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:46PM
caitlynrose0319
Thanks for the advice barnhart! I figured as much with stenciling but it would dress up the room so much :(.
No pretty horse blankets, most of them get pretty beat up and are filthy until we wash them all in the spring. Horses have an exceptional knack for destruction. :)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:34PM
Barnhart Gallery
I have an english saddle displayed on a special saddle stand in my home, and under the saddle I've put a 2'x4'-ish chenille rug in a kilim style -- very "Ralph Lauren." I have to say, it looks expensive, but I got the little rug for a steal -- I believe it was meant for a kitchen or bath!

With your student/bartender budget in mind, I ran a quick search on ebay for a rug that might play into that look -- see what you think. Some lovely pillows came up too, which could help to sell the look.

(My saddle, which I also use, is an ebay purchase, and the listing never mentioned the brass plate showing that it previously belonged to Chuck Hagel -- it's a future political artifact!)
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:14AM
Barnhart Gallery
...or if you had a favorite stencil in mind, you could always go to town on a plain dhurrie with a slightly diluted fabric paint.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:24AM
caitlynrose0319
That's very interesting! But I'm trying to stay away from the equestrian theme, it looks like a horse farm, so I don't feel like the cabin needs to as well.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:50AM
Barnhart Gallery
Large canvas art then, perhaps? Any pix to share?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:38AM
What's on your nightstand?
What do you keep handy when you go to sleep at night?...
rredpenn
Trying to find this fabric for my little girls bedroom
Would love to find out where I can purchase this fabric-...
Tamara Fields
Help for tiny Bathroom !!
I got a quite narrow bathroom with bad storage facilities....
Fia Haak
Would this light fixture work?
I'm replacing my dining room fixture and found this...
jhundman