all white cabinets or traditional wood kitchen
alex4444
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a raised ranch, where the kitchen, dining room and living room are all on the top floor. We are planning on removing all of the kitchen walls and having an open floor plan with a large rectangle island in the middle. I see many white kitchens in magazines and online, but I'm not sure a white/cream kitchen would go. It is hardwoods throughout, and my style is mission/craftsman with a modern twist. I am looking to perhaps downplay the mission style-maybe a transitional look throughout the entire upstairs. I'm thinking of a cherry/red birch transitional kitchen with honed black granite counters, hardwood floor, and stainless Kitchenaid appliances. Brushed steel knobs/pulls.
Is this too dated? Should I try white/cream cabinets? I'm concerned for resale purposes. We plan on moving in 5 plus years, and it seems all the designers say is white is timeless and the best for resale. HELP!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
Hi Alex, go for it! A cherry, craftsman door style is also timeless--not every buyer wants a white kitchen. Also, unless you buy good quality painted cabinets, the finish may not look as great in five years when you plan on selling as with a stained finish.

To keep the kitchen looking more contemporary, the door should have wider stiles and rails--at least 3" wide vs. the traditional 2 1/4." Add modern hardware and enjoy.

I am attaching a photo of a kitchen that I did a few years ago and other than the bull nose edge on the counter, it still looks very current.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:47PM
feeny
I totally agree. Even though we put an off white Shaker kitchen in our house (to go with it's over all 1920's Georgian style and original white painted built ins elsewhere), I LOVE Craftsman kitchens and would have preferred natural cherry Shaker cabinets in a Craftsman style if I had lived in a different house. So if that's what goes with your house and your style, that's exactly what you should choose.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:52PM
violinist3713
Cherry cabinets would llok great if that is the kind of style you like. You really want to feel comfortable because the kitchen is where you are at most but if it were my kitchen I would go with the white cream. I believe that the look will be popular forever and It also really brightens up the space
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:10PM