Ideas for stairway/foyer
trishjamion
My husband and I just painted our foyer/stairway with Sherwin Williams Samovar Silver with Snowbound trim/wainscoting. Compared to the very dark color we had before, we love how it has really lightened up our enclosed stairway. My problem now is the very dark stairs. They are oak harvested from our own land and built by my husband. I can NOT paint them! However, what will it look like to strip them down to natural oak and simply polyurethane them? Does it look better to keep the dark/light contrast as I also have the dark wrought iron handrail, or go light? Apologize for the poor pictures..used phone cam.
carole
i would only add a runner,not to wide to keep showing the gorgeous wood
February 19, 2013 at 4:17pm     
What if you only stripped half down - do all the treads light rather than the whole thing - the dark will relate to the rail and the light will relate to the wall that way . . . you could also add a silver carpet runner just up the middle. Either choice would add contrast but make the job smaller. This is a beautiful rail, riser and stair - wonderful to have a talented husband.
February 19, 2013 at 4:20pm   
trishjamion
I hadn't thought of the light/dark combo with the runner. Is there a website where you can manipulate the photos?
February 19, 2013 at 4:23pm   
trebinje
Trust me, many husbands cannot do this, but since yours did, I'd do everything I could to respect his work and leave it alone. It's stunning as is, love the light/dark contrast.
February 19, 2013 at 4:25pm     
Toni Sabatino
I, too, love the light dark contrast. You could add a faint silver glaze to the "curls" in the iron for added interest.
February 19, 2013 at 4:52pm     
sandj7510
It looks beautiful as is! You are probably just shocked by the dramatic change. I would live with it for a while before stripping any wood. I love the dark wood with the light walls!
February 19, 2013 at 4:59pm     
sammiela
I would probably paint the rails white to balance the white wainscoating and leave the stairs.
A nice runner with the wall color and stair color would also look nice.
February 19, 2013 at 5:19pm   
Creations Nadia Interior Design
I would combine Carole's and Toni's ideas :))))
February 20, 2013 at 4:42pm     
What is best (white) paint for kitchen cabinets
I live in CA, and I think Dura Poxy from Kelly Moore...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Sunbleached buttercup yellow has to go!
We're looking for new paint colors and any suggestions...