Double oven range vs double ovens + cooktop
samherndon
What are the pros and cons of a kitchen with double oven range vs a double ovens and cooktop?
Ironwood Builders
A double oven range will send you to the commercial style lines. At around $150 an inch, they get pretty expensive. A double oven and cook top can be more economical. Mixing manufacturers makes it possible to use the commercial style cook top and a less expensive double wall oven (or oven microwave combo). You can also rise that wall oven up to a more comfortable height for loading and viewing. A range means less wall space for appliances, since it is double duty. The microwave/oven unit means no finding a clear spot on the counter, or devoting an entire cabinet to the micro. Hope this helps!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:09PM
Great points from Ironwood Builders. If space is available I always opt for a separate double oven which also gives multiple cooks in the kitchen a bit more space to work around.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:20PM
Dezign Studio Inc
If cost is no problem then , I would go with the luxury of a double ovens and a cooktop. This is possible and practical in a large kitchen with enough space for movement around all work centers. More than one cook can work comfortably at the same time.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:21PM
Eagledzines
A double wall oven or wall oven/micro combo takes up otherwise counter space. If you already have plenty of that it's not a problem. If you want as much counter space as possible, you can use two separate under cabinet ovens in one place and a stove top in another place.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:45PM
pridgley
Wall ovens are deeper often than range ovens I have a high end 48 inch range. Two ovens, small one is tiny and large oven is too small. I have had lots of repairs. I wish I had two standard ovens and a cook top range.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:02PM
trebinje
Another configuration option is a 36" 6-burner commercial range with a single, large gas oven, and a separate electric (or gas) oven - in wall or under-counter. I've found this combo to be very flexible for multiple cooks, holiday/party cooking (can be used as a warming unit), and those who prefer an electric oven for baking.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:29PM
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Agree with the general sentiment above--the 48 or 60 inch range is a visual showstopper, but the expense is enormous and the ergonomics not as good as separating these functions into different work areas.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:30PM
yvesun
Samsung makes an oven/range that has two sections inside. Both areas are convection, but you can use both areas separately, or together and at two different temps. It's kinda neat. It also has an induction cooktop.
I like the style of two smaller side by side ovens in a 2/3 hieght wall. I looks mighty slick. With so many options of cooktops out there, you're sure to find the perfect match.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:50PM
Eagledzines
@yvesun. That sounds AWESOME! Especially for those who prefer to cook for small intimate groups! Couldn't find one that had an induction stove but still I did find one with 5 burner top and the dual oven.
I had to go look. If anyone else is interested, the link is here: http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/oven-ranges/NE595R1ABSR/AA?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:04AM
Eagledzines
If you are talking about a double oven and a 4 or 5 burner stovetop, there could be huge difference in the range hood price range.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:15AM
DeWitt Architects
If cost and counter space are not an issue then how you cook on a regular basis is the key factor. I have a 48" five star range with small gas oven and large convection. I often use one oven to warms plates or keep warm dishes that I have cooked on burners. I often take pans directly from burners to oven and back, along with hot oven dishes out to cool on the burners tops. My microwave is upper and directly next to the range. This allows get all the cooking done standing in one place. I also prefer to have a minimum of 24" of counter on either side of the range to allow pot handles and other items to be right next to the range. Ovens in another location even if a step away would drive me crazy. Then again I am mostly crazy anyway.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:19AM
Cooktop and double wall ovens, or 48 in double oven range?
I have the dilemma, love the look of the range, but...
wall oven vs double oven under the range?
Building a house that we will be selling in about 4...
Double wall oven vs range + single oven under counter
Trying to decide between having gas cooking top (36")...
double oven + cooktop or range + electrolux high speed E30SO75ESS
hi, i'm designing a new kitchen and have a choice of...
Kitchen counter
Best advice on cleaning new granite
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
Tall walls! What to do
Just had walls painted in sw front porch. I have a...
Need help for my Den?
We are planning to install hardwood, built-in desk...
HELP! Door hardware
We are about to replace all of the old hollow brown...