Thoughts on adding cabinets to existing Kitchen?
Sian SampeyFebruary 19, 2013
Opinions wanted! We just bought a new house (haven't moved in yet) & we are looking at converting the kitchen peninsula bench into an island, extending the existing cabinets a bit further along the wall underneath the air-con, & popping in some wall cabinets above the fridge space & oven with a roller door underneath to hide a kettle etc. I'm confident that adding wall cabinets will be fine as I'm thinking frosted glass which will go with anything...it's the finishing of the lower cabinets I'm worried about. Will it look fairly seamless or will that be too difficult? So should I go the other way & aim for a feature? The cabinetry will be DIY using IKEA stuff. I'm big on neutrals, will add a stainless kick board & a glass splashback, walls will be light beige & we will fork out for a good benchtop. I love stainless benches but I'm undecided...
Please see below pics with sketches & comment away!
dalma darling
Go for it!! I can't encourage you enough to make the change. Your plans look great. We just renovated our kitchen using IKEA cabinets and I highly recommend them. Make sure you're measured down to the last cm and order away. Use their kitchen planning program to make sure you get all the pieces you need and you'll be good to go.
For your kitchen, I think what you have sketched out looks great. I'd update the wooden pantry door to match the rest of the design of your kitchen. If it's a standard door, you should be able to find that at IKEA as well.
It looks like you might lose the fan above your range, be sure to plan for that in the design. You could do a hanging microwave there with your cabinets which also can work as a fan for the range. You'll also gain more counter space that way which is always a plus.
I'd also suggest planning for something on the wall between the two windows (under the AC). Either art, a mirror, or open shelving.
Best of luck, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:31PM
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
I totally agree with Dalma above. If I were doing this kitchen I'd see if the peninsula cabinets are going to fit along the wall under where the air-con is. If they do, I'd place them there and start fresh with the Ikea cabinets for the island. The reason being that Ikea cabinets are sometimes not as high as custom made cabinets, a slight difference that will not be noticed at all if placed in an island situation. Good luck! You're on the right track to making a 'new' modern kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:53PM
Sian Sampey
Thanks! Yeah I'm looking at one of those pull out rangehoods to go under the cupboard! For the pantry door I found a FREE white wood & frosted glass door on Gumtree that fits it exactly! So excited about that find!

I'm really stuck with the art/shelves/ mirror under the AC though?! I want to put something there as well but I have no idea what would work & what if the AC drips? Any ideas??
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:57PM
Ed
Congrats on your new home! Please update with photos of the progress. :)
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:53AM
kitchen layout adding cabinets back splash under cabinet lights
I am removing the L shaped section cook top stove &...
dreamer2action
Your thoughts on kitchen ideas?
Actually we have come up with an idea's going to be...
Kathi Whitner
Buying House and Kitchen cabinets block flow -- help please! - any thoughts??
Hi - Am buying house and the kitchen cabinets (which...
tomkobak
Need help to figure out if I should build cabinets that match my existing kitchen.
I have an older home (grew up here!) and have a small,...
irenelane
What to do with entry?
See pic below, suggestions welcome
lc21
Choosing furniture size
Just built a disability house--no halls and easy wide...
bettymcgee1113
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch
open up kitchen and dining room Baltimore duplex
I have a brick, traditional duplex with a 9'x11' kitchen...
John Merson
Awkward Entryway Decor Advice
We just purchased this home and the attached picture...
maryb56