Is the microwave too high
foreverreno
February 19, 2013 in Photo Questions
Is the microwave too high for a 5'3" woman? How high off the floor is the bottom of the microwave? And is the microwave a Viking with a vent under the microwave?
Thanks
Turan Designs, Inc.
i think you should consider getting microwave in the base cabinet level or on the caunter top.the micro in picture is standard high and there is a vent.thx
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:19AM
Christy Jennings
I love this tile backsplash. What is it?
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 8:16AM
mabel5833
What is the standard height for the microwave over the range? Also, can you tell me the distance between the countertops and the cabinets? 16? 17? or 18"?
0 Likes   February 11, 2014 at 11:03AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Bullding code states that above a gas range space should be minimum of 30", which this looks like it may not be as it looks to be about 18" from gas burner. This wouldn't be to code for Canada.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 3:48PM
Fred S
@Marie please read this carefully and then show me the code you are referring to. http://ebook.source2.org/clearances-from-gas-propane-and-electric-ranges-municipal-affairs-w5305/

Microwave Ovens
The Alberta Building Code 2006 does not regulate portable plug-in appliances such as over-the-range microwaves. The manufacturer’s installation manuals for over-the range microwave ovens typically cover clearances and other specifications related to their installation, and they should be installed in accordance with those instructions
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 4:35PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hey Fred,
Here is the weblink: January 2011 Alberta Safety Tips and Clearances from Gas, Propane and Electric Ranges http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/documents/ss/Revisedclearancefromgasandelectricrangesbrochure-Final.pdf

We're referring to the same brochure! LOL -
It states right in here to have 30" clearance to combustibles. I take that as needing 30" from gas to bottom of anything flammable - don't you?

Under Combustible Material Clearances -
"The minimum clearance required directly above the range is 750 mm (approx 30") to combustibles. This clearance can be reduced to 600 mm (approx 24”) when the finish is protected as per Article 9.10.22.2. Vertical Clearances above Ranges of the Alberta Building Code".

Not sure if there are additional codes or regulations with regards to combination microwave and hood fans, as I personally know ours was not installed correctly and it is over a gas stove at the old 18". We've now burned through 3 microwaves - so I know it isn't enough space from gas burner to microwave clearance, let alone what is "to code".
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 10:37PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Here is the comment regarding standard heights from this brochure - am I reading it wrong? Because I believe it says 30"...and I also believe that a combination vent hood / microwave isn't considered a "plug-in" it is vented to the outside. Maybe its in another category? Let me know if you find something to the contrary...thanks!
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 10:45PM
Fred S
Hey Marie, that is the same thing I posted, just couldn't find the direct link URL with my not so smart phone :)
First page, first column, last paragraph.
It says (what I quoted above) that microwaves above ranges are to be installed per manufacturer instructions. All of them that I have ever seen say that the CABINET height is to be 30" above the counter (66" off floor) and the microwave hangs BELOW the cabinet.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 10:51PM
Fred S
Combustible material refers to cabinets and and site-built items that don't have an approval from a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 10:53PM
Fred S
One should always read both the stove instructions and the microwave instructions very carefully and error on the safe side. Without knowing the specific models of both, I can say that there is something lacking in the system there. I am actually arguing that the factory reps for another stove company can't even understand their own directions on a separate post right now. So, I would agree that your gas range is probably too powerful to have a microwave over it, but that has nothing to do with "code", and may even be to manufacturer specs, but it certainly can't be a good pairing if it keeps ruining the microwave.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 11:10PM
TV above fireplace......how high is too high?
We would like to put our TV above the fireplace, even...
Rain Shower Height - How high is too high
Our master shower has a ceiling height of 10'. There's...
How high is too high for pot filler?
Sculptural hood fan ends 6 inches from bottom of upper...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Media storage unit suggestions
We have a 60 inch TV and looking for a media unit ideally...
Vinyl windows
I need help on how to paint my house windows. I want...
Designing the Living Room for our Mom
For our mom's birthday she asked my sister and I to...