HELP with my area decor!!!!!
ahesson08
Does the decor above the open bar look too busy? How r the other walls? If too busy above the bar, what should I put where? Do y'all think my windows in this room need curtains of some sort???? If so what kind and color? Also accent rug? Color suggestions??? Oh and the area in the corner behind the accent chair where the canvas boxes are stacked up im going to add a large bookshelf....tall should i go wwith blk or expresso? Thx ..... We went from a very lg space to extremely small, my child's toys are in one corner of the room..... Tried to make it look organized but and suggestions are welcome for anything in this space! I just need help!!!!! It's such small area I don't want it to look too cluttered but we need to fit our basics :)
ahesson08
More angles
February 20, 2013 at 6:35AM   
AMN
Hello. You've got a great start, but I think there is too much stuff over the pass through. I would remove all of it. You want to focus the attention at the human-scale.

I would like to see you at drapery panels on either side of the window or windows in the room. It might be a good idea to set the rides at or near the ceiling. I would go with a color that is a light beige or cream, and bring color into the room via a rug.
February 20, 2013 at 6:35AM     
AMN
Please pardon all the typos above. Trying to use my phone's dictation feature, but it stinks. Also the mobile version of Houzz discussion has no edit button.
February 20, 2013 at 6:40AM   
Citapore
A beige shaggy rug may look nice
February 20, 2013 at 6:45AM     
All About Interiors LLC
Hi,
I recommend also you remove the items on the pass through the wall accessories above the bar are busy too and perhaps you could remove. If you have a lot of "stuff" and going into a smaller place, you need to minimalize. Your eye needs to rest once in a while when looking around the room and too many things doesn't give it the chance to focus on main focal points such as your windows. Which brings me to the next point. Definately need either a valance and drapery up high towards the ceiling to trick the eye the window is larger than it is or just drapery. Something to soften up the space and bring in color and texture. An area rug to coordinate with the drapes is also a must... again to soften up the room add color/texture etc. I understand using the space as dual purpose and having it kid friendly. Perhaps a storage ottoman to store toys away when it is being used by adults ie; entertaining. I hope this helps. www.allaboutinteriors.org
February 20, 2013 at 6:48AM     
ahesson08
So u think I should not have anything above the bar? I have sliver curtain rods already, u think that would look good? With a long curtain? Would u mind posting a pic of an ex that u think would look good in the space? And then suggestions on the decor on the walls what should I put where? Thx :)
February 20, 2013 at 6:57AM   
cam27525
It does look very busy to me above the bar....too many fleur de lis and crosses and small objects. That is a tricky space to decorate. As is, it seems like it's accentuating the fact that it's not an open floor plan. If it's not possible to knock out the wall to make it open (very doubtful, ha!), then I would consider leaving it bare or one long piece of artwork or sign. You have no artwork in this room, you need it!

Also, yes, you do need some curtains. Hang them almost to the ceiling and wider than the window to make your ceilings appear taller and room larger. Probably a cream color since it seems a bit dark with all the browns and wood. Also, the fleur de lis on the left side of the window is off center. If you're going to have something there, then you need something on the right side to balance the room.

Would it be possible to move your sofa away from the wall? and rearrange to go in front of the bar area? To quote an article I just read: "The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to move your furniture away from the walls. Nate Berkus said it best once on Oprah, "When you have all your furniture lined up against the wall it looks like it's under arrest". Let it breathe, and create a conversation area. You should avoid an arrangement that forces you to walk through the room to get to another room or the patio doors (if possible)."

If you do plan to get a bookcase (black to match the nesting tables), then you probably need to eliminate the two furniture pieces flanking the bar. Place the nesting tables to the right of the sofa instead and take away the looks like child size? cubes. Also, what's up with the green chevron blanket? It doesn't match anything. I would get a rug with a couple of colors from the chair and get some pillows from colors of the chair to throw on the sofa for pops of color. The plain brown pillows are very blah. Also, get rid of the big gold vase holding the sticks or spray paint it another color. I notice there are no lamps, maybe a floor lamp would be good in that space.
February 20, 2013 at 6:59AM   
cam27525
I notice your sofa and loveseat don't match. Would it be possible to slipcover them both a lighter color so they match?
February 20, 2013 at 7:01AM   
ahesson08
Should I put the rods like an inch from the ceiling? Or how far so it looks good, and PLEASE someone post some curtains or drape pics or colors I should go with for that?!!!!! Or styles :) thx!!!! I just want to be done with this room and I think I'm super close!
February 20, 2013 at 7:04AM   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
1. Nothing above the pass-through window. I would also take out whatever is in that corner between the pass-through and the brown couch. 2. If you don't have another location where the kids' toys can go, then find a small storage cabinet for them. 3. A bit too much iron, I see this often. Substitute some different materials for all these "hard" surfaces, like a glass or ceramic lamp in place of the one with the wrought iron base. It's also a way to sneak in some color. 4. Take pillows off brown couch and come back with just 1 or 2 in a solid, pulling colors from your chair fabric. 5. Hang the curtain rod high, not necessarily 1" from ceiling, but well above window frame. Curtains should either be solid or if a pattern, one that is not too busy. Very wide rod so that they can stack leaving window fully open when desired; that will make it look wider. 6. No chevron throw. Post a picture when you've made all the changes, would love to see it. Good luck!
February 20, 2013 at 7:51AM     
need help decorating my dining area...
i know i will need some kind of wall art, mirror......
need help on decorating my long and narrow area
need help on decorating this long and narrow area
Need help decorating my living/dining room area
I inherited this furniture but they are both very different...
Need help with my kitchen and living area decor
I have a two bedroom 750 SQ Feet condo that has plenty...
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Front Door Makeover
Our indoor renovation is completed and now we are on...
Bachelor's First Condo HELP!!
Mid 20s young professional who just recently purchased...
Help with setting up a narrow rectangle living room/ dining room combo
Hello, I am looking for some designer insight as to...