What Color to Paint Front Door
mcollom
So, I have a brightly painted house- Porpoise(brown), Flower Pot (orange), avocado all with a dark purple trim. So how do I paint my front door to not look like a clown lives here? Right now I have it so it is sort of painted as if it was wood but it clashes with the Porpoise. Any ideas? Help! Thank you all :) I have attached one idea that I did in photoshop but I think it might be too much.
mcollom
Here is a picture of the entire house so you can see the porpoise(brown)
February 20, 2013 at 9:07AM   
Terri Symington, ASID
Interesting choice of colors... what look and style are you trying to achieve?
February 20, 2013 at 9:33AM   
mcollom
Our house was kind of blah, we wanted it to reflect our energetic and fun personality. We are modern meets nature. Our house is color blocked to make it look larger. I probably wouldn't have done the purple trim in that shade but the paint was already purchased...
February 20, 2013 at 9:40AM   
graciel57
I do enjoy color, but you really throw down the glove! :) I actually like the brown sidelights. Why not paint the door the flowerpot orange. It would stand out while the brown to the sides would tone it down so it wasn't an overpowering blast of color. I would not do the green because the door would be lost in the front of the house. I like a contrasting color for the door, but the purple seems like it would be too "much", hence my preference for the orange.

Congratulations for being bold with color! You're doing what a lot of people would like to do, but don't dare. :)
February 20, 2013 at 9:53AM     
Sue So
I like your photoshop idea - and love your clown joke even more. What a fun house!
February 20, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Terri Symington, ASID
I'm not so sure painting the door or trim is the way to go. I like the wood and I think it grounds the rest of the colors. I would perhaps add some bold colored address numbers to the horizontal panel on the front door. You could try it in a mix of your color palate, or select one color from the group.. such as the persimmon.

Then add some tall glazed pots to the sides of the door in a deep or cobalt blue... and add seasonal color in the pots.
February 20, 2013 at 10:06AM     
Terri Symington, ASID
I've "blocked" in some color so you can see. I also darkened the porch a little.
February 20, 2013 at 10:18AM     
mcollom
Thank you for the ideas, really like the tall pot idea! Landscaping is also part of the project.
February 20, 2013 at 10:24AM   
allthingsmodern
I think painting your flanking window areas green looks modern and upscale --- Bravo to you!--- intimate, interesting, fun and inviting. It may feel even more complete if you paint the insert panels below the windows the same as you have the door panel inserts
. --- The reason this design works so well is the small color blocking contrasts with the large color blocking on the rest of your home.
February 20, 2013 at 10:33AM     
SPACIALISTS
Hi mcollom,

I think you should try a metal door, stainless steel. you already have vibrant colors around your home. Hope this sparks some ideas.

SPACIALISTS
February 20, 2013 at 11:13AM   
mcollom
I do like the metal door but I am on a "paint budget"
February 20, 2013 at 11:39AM   
mcollom
Terri- you stained the concrete on my front porch in your rendering, can this actually be done? Now my 80's concrete is really bothering me; alas another project :)
February 20, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Aegean Designing Whims
I like the black, but would also think about doing a darker green. Chrysteen
February 20, 2013 at 11:46AM   
allthingsmodern
you can paint the concrete but you'll probably need to redo it every couple of years
February 20, 2013 at 11:50AM   
Terri Symington, ASID
Yes, you certainly can stain existing concrete, either by a professional or DIY. You should be able to find plenty of info online to help you in the right direction.
February 20, 2013 at 11:55AM   
allthingsmodern
With the green flanking windows, even just a large, black, rectangular doormat could anchor the space-- although I definitely like the idea of staining the concrete. An idea that could bring out a more sleek entry, modern awning look would be to paint just the "front facia board and downspout' above the door black-- although I can't see how the facia runs along to the right, hopefully there's a visual stopping point.
February 20, 2013 at 11:59AM   
Terri Symington, ASID
I love the metal door... but no amount of metallic paint is going to make a traditional, wood paneled door look like metal.

If you are willing to go to the expense of replacing the door then a contemporary wood door would look fantastic...!
February 20, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Complete Master Bedroom / Bath Makeover
We will be redecorating our Master Bedroom and Bath...
need help with wall color
My kitchen wall needs color. The area I prep and cook...
Need help with our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
Average cost of a design
Hi I really need to redo my backyard. The covered porch...
Multi chevron rug impossible to match
I picked up this rug because it has colors that allows...