Sofa Layout
grelou
I am a first time owner and I am currently furnishing our penthouse. I've got an open kitchen/dining/living area with three doors - main entrance, archway leading to hallway and a sliding door leading to the front terrace. My main concern is about choosing the correct sofa layout. The TV unit (already purchased) is about 9ft and I was planning to place a sectional in the middle of the room as shown in the sketch attached, and perhaps a small ottoman or a tufted bench to break down the space between the living area and the passageway. What would you suggest?

Another dilemma is about the wall behind the tv unit. Since I have to leave a passage way between the living are and the main entrance, I would like ideas how to break the wall in between the two. Perhaps using a different wall colour?

Any suggestions are deeply appreicatied!

PS. Kitchen is ordered and is to be fitted next week.
The furniture layout you have looks fine. Here are 2 examples of a screen to give a bit of separation between the main entrance and seating area.

Ranch Lite

Greenwich Village Townhouse
February 20, 2013 at 9:41AM   
grelou
Thanks for your suggestion but I'm afraid there isn't much space to install a screen. There is only 6ft 5 passageway. The tv unit is something similar to this sketch. My concern is that since the unit is not centered I need something to define the wall space. I'm thinking something like different paint colour , wall paper or panelling...
February 20, 2013 at 9:58AM   
Carey & Co
Paint the wall behind the Media unit and the adjacent wall with the main entrance a medium/dark color (warm grey - neutral and very hip at the moment). Is the media unit tall or low with tv above? Place a large plant in a colorful planter next to the unit (art will possibly get hit by the door opening) and then place a large art piece on the wall next to the door. The darker paint on those two walls should make the room feel like its on its own. What type of window coverings are you anticipating?
February 20, 2013 at 10:27AM   
Serra Design Inc
Hi

You have committed design suicide. First mistake, purchasing a 9' entertainment unit for such a small space. 2nd mistake making the entertainment unit the first thing people see when they enter the space. The room is not welcoming to family and guests. Loose the 9' unit and use the 6'2" wall where you would have made a better choice for the entertainment wall and orient the sectional to face that wall with the sectional floating in the room with a sofa table behind the sectional. I am not sure how large your family is however there will be people walking in front of the TV to exit/enter the door to the left. I hope that large rectangle is a rug because you need an area rug to define the space in the living area and to ground the room. Where do those two doors lead to? There are 3 portals on one wall, this is not you fault but you have a large problem to work around, is it possible to remove one of them? The next thing I see is those over-sized doors leading out to the terrace are killing the space
Third mistake, I would never put a dining room table into this small space, I would put in a large Island flanking the kitchen wall, with seating outside the kitchen area on the island. You have a dead space on the kitchen wall use the entire back wall and loose the "L" cabinet. for a true galley kitchen. What are the object on the 5'4" wall? Are you trying to squeeze three pieces onto that wall?
The coffee table/ Ottoman is an unimportant matter. Choose the ottoman if you like to put you feet up or choose the coffee table if you like books out.
Painting the room two different colors is the least of your dilemmas, and in a small room I would not choose to define the rooms with a vertical line, If you like two paint colors paint the wall behind the entertainment unit only as an accent wall.
February 20, 2013 at 12:27PM   
grelou
Serra Design Inc - Thanks for your constructive comment. I know it is a challenging room but I have to work it out somehow.

The left wall has only one opening which leads to the hall way. The other two are tall windows not doors. That is why I put the shorter part of the sofa in between the two. I decided to place the tv unit adjacent to the entrance door because I do not like the idea of traffic passing through the living area. I find it much more intimate the other way round.

As regards to the big rectangle - yes that is a rug to ground the area.

Re that piece in the 5ft4 wall, that is a like a small pantry with three doors which I will be using to store foods.

I also decided to place the dining table in the middle of the kitchen because I do not have a separate dining area and I also want to make sure that we can watch tv from the table. I would have loved to do an island but a dining table is a must so I had to go for a dining table instead.

As regards to the breakfast bar, it is on the small side 5ft tall and 3 ft wide. We dedided to go for the bar because it helps to define the kitchen area from the hallway and living area and can be used as an extra space for baking.
February 21, 2013 at 12:24AM   
grelou
Carey & Co - Thanks for your ideas. Let me give you some info about the colours that I have. The kitchen is in laminate walnut with white gloss top cupboards and thick white surface. hence kitchen colours similar to this -

The wall behind the kitchen is a sort of a feature wall (not just backsplash in between cuboards) and it is in beige wavy tile very similar to the one in the picture attached.

The wall unit is with beige gloss cupboards and mocha bottom cupboard like the one in the picture attached but on a smaller scale. Floor tile is beige, gloss, 60 x 60cm.

Up till now everything is in brown / beige / white so I was thinking about introducing grey-brown and a touch of red or orange as an accent colour. What would you suggest?
February 21, 2013 at 1:17AM   
Carey & Co
Wow - I'm loving this! I think you are right on. Make sure that the wall color is a warm grey - get some samples and paint onto a poster board, move them around during the day to make sure they work all day with all the elements in your rooms. I like the way the wall in this photo is just a bit darker than the unit - not so much contrast as to shout at you. I also like the red or orange accents and while you're at it - use both. Get a large colorful painting with those colors for the wall next to the door - attached a photo of one from md.canvas.com - it comes in 3 sizes (large is best) with suggestions on others you might consider.
February 21, 2013 at 7:27AM   
grelou
good idea.. I will install the kitchen cabinets and the wall tile first and then choose the wall colour (behind the tv unit) to make sure that the new colour blends in with the rest of the room. Any ideas for window treatments? They are long and narrow about 130 x 80cm each and I do not wish to do heavy drapery as that would block natural lighting
February 22, 2013 at 12:18AM   
Carey & Co
Drapery would cut into your space anyway. I think a simple roman shade might work well like the one attached.
February 22, 2013 at 6:04AM   
Serra Design Inc
Hi Gerlou

Wow, this is a game changer, you have a lot of good components to work with, that were undisclosed in your first posting. I like the vibe you have going on in this space. I had given more thought to this small space and was wondering is this a Condo or Townhouse you own? Or a home where you can make changes without going through a Condo board or committee?
If a home had you thought about closing the Terrace in as a light conservatory, removing the doors and putting your dining out there?
February 22, 2013 at 10:08AM   
grelou
It is a penthouse, top apartment with two terraces, one at the front and one at the back, and a roof which I can later transform into a garden. Therefore it is in a condo and no I cannot move walls or close the terrace. That is the space so I have to work with that. The plus side is that I've got lots of natural light coming in.
February 24, 2013 at 11:53PM   
What new sofa/s and layout, and help with a big entrance wall!
Wonderfully enough, my parents have given me the green...
New sofas / new layout
Need some ideas for lay out and new sofa furniture,...
whats the layout of the house to make a sofa like this worthwhile :)
what is the layout of the house. I love the multi sided...
Need Help Finalizing My Kitchen/Nook
Hi Houzz! I am moving into our new build home and...
House design
Just bought a field (505m2 = 5443sf) with lot of nature...
Bistro colors
Nutrition, health spa is opening a healthy type menu....
Small Space
Keep neutral colored walls for small spaces. Small...