paint color for a small condo

t3tanyaFebruary 20, 2013
It's time to paint and I am completely blocked. I have existing decoration schemes to consider - gold bedroom, scarlet bedroom, white/purple/turqouise living room. I LOVE each room as it is, except for the wall color.. The current wall color is Primer White (yes, primer, shame, shame!) I like the brightness of the white because I get SADS big time (winter depression). I'm looking for a color that will tie in my scarlett bedspread, my gold bedspread, and the living room colors. OR should I use a different paint in each room? (initial reaction is Uggh! unless you can convince me otherwise.) Is there one unifying color and then I can paint an accent wall in each room. I will recarpet in 2014, and may even repaint then. The carpet color now is grey and I will choose a greyed mushroom color.
Barnhart Gallery
Given your SADS, I could see all of the spaces in Good Vibrations from Benjamin Moore.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:36AM
t3tanya
Hi barnhartgallery. Yes! that's a pretty color - although I prefer the more pale shades similar to it in the Benjamin Moore site. Would that yellow go with the red bedroom? I was thinking that the living room can be any color because it is basically white with replacable accessories.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:41AM
Barnhart Gallery
Sure, you can go lighter. It'd be more pastel-ey, but yellows are funny in that the more surfaces you paint yellow, the more yellow each looks -- does that make sense? I think a golden tone would look nice with your beautiful bed in the room with the red comforter -- is there any of that color in your art? It's hard to see. If that's a piece that will stay, make sure your wall color is in there in a close hue value. I'm not a huge fan of white walls, but your LR actually works as is with your bright moments of color. It would also work with the yellow, referencing your mantel items.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:48AM
t3tanya
@barnhartgallery. Well I'm looking at those now and what you think of a yellow/brown color. I'm looking at the painting that sort of abstract. And I'm thinking it could go well with the gold and my white living room and the gold bedroom. The color I'm thinking of is in the lower right corner of that one painting
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 12:17PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree about yellow it looks perfect in a small sample and it really amplifies when painted on walls. I would lean more toward BM Candelit Dinner..It reminds me of French vanilla ice cream. Please remember, ALWAYS buy a sample and paint it on a poster board (2 coats) and tape on all the walls of a room..look at it in day and night light. Keep in mind..your space will get much larger if you paint the ceiling the same color.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 12:27PM
t3tanya
Am I correct/wrong in wanting to paint the walls of my 1000 sq ft condo all in the same color? I see that Candle lit dinner goes with Mink and butternut squash. I can see that as a pallet....
1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 12:32PM
t3tanya
The related shades to butternut squash - especially French Manicure and Creamy Satin. I think this goes with the three color schemes, is warm in tone, and is not such a leap away from my tried-and-true white. Opinions?
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 12:41PM
I like working a color strip to death, so that should do it for your dilemma. Personally, I think a rearrangement of the furniture and elimination of the artificial plants would do a lot for your spaces.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 12:58PM
hollybar
Testing colors in the room(s) is key. One of my favorites in this yellowish range is BM Milkyway. It has a quiet clarity and a freshness that I really like.
Good luck on finding your happiest shade.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:02PM
t3tanya
@decoenthusiaste. Funny you should say that about the plants. I recently took them to church for a special event and lived without them for a few weeks. It felt bare at the time, but now it feels like a Micahels store!!! Too much. I have zero confidence with visual decisions,but thank God, my sister is visiting me soon and she's the bomb!!! I even asked her to help me with my forest when she comes.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:03PM
t3tanya
@ hollybar. I agree that Milkyway is a good pure color. I think I like the rose undertones to the French Manicure to pick up the red in one room and the rust in the other. I feel content enough with that choice to go out and get a sample for the foam core swatch.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:06PM
Ann Alderson LLC
Decoenthustiaste is right, do stay on one color strip and remove the soul-sucking artificial dust catchers (every last one of them!). Nothing wrong with seeing the corners of your rooms! Also, removing the dark curtain valence in your bedroom would lighten and update that window treatment. Do all this before your sister visits so she can work with what's left. Have fun!
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:24PM
Design Find
I'd do the bedrooms different colors. Contrary to popular belief, yellow has been shown to make people anxious and irritable! Something to consider with your SAD. It typically does not have that sunshine happy effect on people...if you do go with yellow, I'd choose a white with a hint of yellow in it to get a mellow, creamy yellow and not something too sunny. I use Behr "Raffia Cream" for a mellow yellow. I've attached a pic where I used in a room that was windowless and cavernous...
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:35PM
t3tanya
@Bona Properties - Beautiful laundry room - it's such a warm, inviting nuetral. I did not know that about yellow's agitating qualities. Good to know!! I think the red bedroom is screaming out for a light,yet cool toned taupe. I just didn't want to do the same to the gold room and was looking for one color. Maybe I don't have to do that. Good advice - thanks.
@Ann - Remove the valance - yeah... that's been up there for about 10 years. Maybe I should ask sister to really rethink every thing. I am doing a homeexchange in Amsterdam with another single woman for six weeks - in about 50 days. These pics are from my home exchange site, so maybe I shouldn't change too much before she arrives. Her home is more streamlined than mine.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:11PM
mamachers
I have sads also during the wintery months. Most of our home is ben moore goldtone. It is in our bedroom and I wake up happy every morning to a beautiful and cheerful room.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:28PM
Design Find
Yeah, it's a study I read about. Yellow is very stimulating and in some people can cause irritability! Who knew...some neutrals that are a soft beige that I like are Benjamin Moore "Shaker Beige" Behr "Sandstone Cove". I'd attach photos of the colors but right now Houzz won't let me! I'll try again later!
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:43PM
cyn222
How about a color to blend with the comforter. Seems bright and soothing.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:45PM
t3tanya
Thanks to all of you for your great comments. I think I would wait for my sister to give me her fabulous advice.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:45PM
maureenb93
Your home swap sounds super-cool, btw! Enjoy.
    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 10:01PM
Help with living room in a small condo !
We are desperate for some decorating help with our...
eamc01
accessorizing small condo
We recently painted our condo a light grey by farrow...
tkelly31
New floor colour for small condo. Ideas?
I need to change the flooring in my small condo. A...
viennah
What color should I paint a small condo with NO direct light?
We just bought a 850 sq ft week-end condo with the...
bdlek
1967 Small Condo budget friendly decorating update
1967 condo. Low ceilings, baseboard heaters, single...
kilby001
Dining room advice
I need staging advice for my dining room. Is it too...
angelcreek11
Need help with bedroom furniture
Need help selecting bedroom furniture for a room with...
Tina DeLonga
Do you love your pot filler?
I'm thinking of including a pot filler in my kitchen...
barrowp
Need help with kitchen cabinets
renovating my kitchen. The designer is suggesting eurogloss...
slaterirwin
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor