I need a porch!
Judy C
We need a roof over the stoop at the least. I think a porch the entire length would be best. (House down the street has two-story porch with balcony off the bedrooms!) Landscaping is overgrown and needs replaced. Also needing to replace or paint siding. Any suggestions?
Gerry Brown
I'm a porch person, even though my house doesn't have a front porch! We built a 20X20 covered patio on the back. I also would take out the bushes in front of the door. That, to me is so uninviting. To me it says, "Stay away from my house!" You could also make a curved sidewalk from the driveway to the front door and make a pretty flower bed between the house and sidewalk. At the very least at stoop to invite and protect from the elements.
February 20, 2013 at 12:20pm     
judy, I agree you need something to break up the front. I hope Dytecture or Ironwood Builders sees your post. You have a hip roof, obviously, but your front is not flat. I found this pix that best shows (not necessarily the correct solution) what I think would look good. The porch roof is above the overhang. I am not even sure if you could do that, but a roof right over your door might be too low….

February 20, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Judy C
I love the balcony look, but there is a house just a couple doors down with one and it is more Spanish Mission-y looking than ours. I think a slanted porch roof that starts right below the upstairs windows (on the siding). Your picture is very intriquing...
February 20, 2013 at 12:54pm     
Judy C
Gerry's advise re: the horrid square bush is right-on! Not inviting at all!
February 20, 2013 at 12:56pm     
misecretary
Are your shutters and front door burgandy?
February 20, 2013 at 3:50pm   
Judy C
Shutters and front door are burgandy, trim is white. Siding is yellow/tan/faded/ugly. Garage doors are grey with burgandy trim.
February 20, 2013 at 3:57pm   
nukiegirl
Looks like your roof pitch is low so not sure it would be a covered porch. Check out my pixs of my back porch. It is 35 long. Im trying to figure out a design for mine for my front makeover. I have the same issue I believe with my roof line. So I am planning on taking a window out and do french doors and have an open deck with the ballisters I have on the rear of the house. Maybe it will give you an indea to check my pixs out. GL
February 20, 2013 at 5:22pm   
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Here is a possible view of a before and after project I completed last year - it may help!
February 20, 2013 at 5:32pm     
Gerry Brown
That looks great! My neighbors in IL did that to their house and it was a wonderful improvement!
February 20, 2013 at 5:39pm   
Judy C
Love it! What do you think with brick/vinyl siding? Brick pillars?
February 20, 2013 at 5:46pm   
All those pictures are wonderful, but do not take into account that the front of your house is not flat front. You want something over the entry and you either need to see an architect or have someone here on houzz who knows building chime in.

February 20, 2013 at 5:53pm     
Judy C
agreed. Not sure what to do. Gotta do something!
February 20, 2013 at 5:57pm   
Ironwood Builders
Better late than never. Ollds, I'll post an update over there. judyc221, you do have the opportunity to put a shed roof porch over the front of the house...it can go full length or a portion. A shallow hipped roof is another possibility. Given that there is a cantilevered second floor that the roof will need to hang from, an engineer will need to do some calculations to make sure the weight of the roof does not drag the second floor down too much. Worst case, a beam and some additional posts or columns would need to be added to hold the cantilever section steady for the length of the porch roof. I see an opportunity to build a particularly nice front porch and give your home some curb appeal. I recommend a discussion with an architect to check on the cost of design work...or asking a design/build firm to put together a proposal. One issue that the local guys can address with you is zoning and setback requirements. The local government has specific guidelines for development near property lines, so an exploration of the regulations for your neighborhood may be the first step. Contact your local building department to determine zoning and setbacks. Unfortunately, plans for permits and construction aren't a benefit offered here on Houzz in the forums...but there are many local pros listed that can help.
February 20, 2013 at 11:56pm     
traditionalguy467
Hi Judy! First, realize this is a traditional facade on the home, and I assume you found something appealing about this when you purchased it. Consided a porch coming out at approximately the roof overhang or just below it with a Chippendale railing around the top. It basically would be an inverted letter U on top, sitting on two round colonial pillars, and the Chippendale railing would be around the flat top of the porch. It would extend just wide enough to include the two front light fixtures, which should be replaced with two larger coach lamps, again just a little larger on fixture size. This treatment will immediately give the home a stately presence. Porch should remain the color white. Also consider a cupola on the garage wing, cupola should be white as well. This will continue the refined stately presence. Make sure light fixtures on the side of garage doors are compatible with front porch fixtures, yet proportionate to garage wing. Not too small, not too large. I agree with Gerry Brown, a winding walk toward the driveway is the route to go. Consider a larger coach lamp, one on a pole, outdoor type, at the beginning of the walk, for a little charm. The bush is large, but can be pruned into a round or square bush, assuming it is not in the way of the proposed, new walk. Consider a slate blue for the trim, as well on garage doors. Clean up the yard, and prune the tree, and your good to go. The home has beautiful lines, congratulations on picking a charming home! Another idea as money will allow in the future, would be to put a natural eight panel colonial door on the entrance door stained a darker cherry, and eventually put on two natural wood paneled garage doors stained the same color as the front door, giving a very rich look, again as money will allow, as these are expensive changes. Best of luck!
February 22, 2013 at 2:59am   
kar313
My house is very similar, only 5 windows across top though. We added a porch right after we moved in. Sooo much better. Had to start the roof of the porch right under the top windows to get enough pitch. I'll try and find some before and after pics and link them here.
February 22, 2013 at 8:47am     
Judy C
This is an older picture - taken before we closed and moved in. The light fixtures have already been switched out as well as the one at the garage. (Bigger is better!). I like the idea of the founded porch with top railing. Had never considered a cupola. Great ideas, everyone...thanks so much for the comments. Will keep you posted.
February 23, 2013 at 4:34am   
nancy22032
I've always been a fan of shutters, but that row on the 2nd floor is too much. Either a much lighter shade of paint on them or remove them. They would distract from your new porch. You want attention on your entry, not on those upper windows. The lower shutters are OK. Lovely home - don't get too far from original style.
February 23, 2013 at 5:27am   
I need a porch expert!
The porch on my family's recently-purchased house is...
I need help with a porch ceiling
We are building a porch and I want a stained wood looking...
Help i need advice on my porch / patio area
This is our braai area, outside by the pool. I want...
I need a porch!
My husband and I are planning on purchasing this little...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Finishing Touches on Dining Room
I have my table and buffet for dining room. I am looking...
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Countertop Help
Searching for a countertop to go with our kitchen....
Yay or Nay? Indoor fairy lights
Are you a fan of using fairy lights indoors? The twinkle...