Kitchen floor ideas
nfdebbie
I have maple hardwood on the living room and the living room flows into the dining room and kitchen. any ideas of what i should put on the floor in the kitchen/dining room. i will be keeping the maple in the living room. I would like to put a nice laminate floor down in the dining/kitchen, but not sure if it would look good next to the maple hardwood of the living room
Ironwood Builders
Laminate flooring (printed paper with plastic over it) will not look good next to the real thing. I suggest you have new maple spliced in to your existing and refinish the entire floor to unify the open plan house you have.
February 20, 2013 at 8:11pm   
nfdebbie
do you mean i would have to redo the existing living room floor
February 20, 2013 at 8:34pm   
Ironwood Builders
Refinish is not re do. If it is true hardwood, 3/4" thick, refinishing is a viable option. Less money than new, more money than laminate...but unifying the space is a important.
February 20, 2013 at 8:55pm     
nfdebbie
thank you. do you think that is the way to go, or should i consider putting ceramic or slate on the kitchen/dining
February 20, 2013 at 9:00pm   
Innova Cabinetry, Inc.
To me, ceramic or stone tile is always preferable over wood in a kitchen. A dining area could go either way, but since they are connected, there's no reason not to do both in tile. The tile will look good much longer in those spaces. I love slate, but it can be a bit uneven, so if you go that route, abe meticulous on the installation. Check it carefully and pull any tiles that are high so you don't have injuries down the road. Also with natural stone, be sure and seal the heck out of it. Ceramic is the most inexpensive and carefree option here.
February 20, 2013 at 9:16pm   
nfdebbie
thank you. your comments were great. i am going ceramic.
February 20, 2013 at 9:18pm   
Ironwood Builders
Interesting...Tile (even ceramic) n my area is as expensive if not more so than natural wood flooring..and is hard...causes leg fatigue and more broken glassware...many discussion on the pros and cons of tile and wood floors in kitchens. nfdebbie..do some more research!
February 20, 2013 at 9:32pm     
onthefence
I agree with Ironwood on all points.
February 20, 2013 at 9:42pm   
nfdebbie
Now I am confused. Wood will scratch and ceramic can mean broken dishes?..
February 20, 2013 at 10:08pm   
onthefence
Yes to both of the above. However, as a hardwood floor owner, I can tell you what I know (the professionals can tell you a LOT more). Some types of wood are harder than others -- and more difficult to scratch. With a good surface coating, you have to drag something very heavy across the floor to scratch thru that coating and have the scratch go into the wood. And if it does - and it's a scratch that really bothers you, it's fixable.

Ceramic can mean broken dishes. The worst part to me though is the wear and tear on the knees and back. If it bothers you to stand in one place on a cement floor, you'll feel the same about tile. If you spend much time prepping while cooking, it can catch up with you.

We have tile in 3 rooms in our house - 2 bathrooms and the laundry room. The rest is hardwood and I've been happy with it for 25 years.
February 20, 2013 at 10:16pm     
Ironwood Builders
Sure! There is no one perfect solution. All materials and installations have their positives and negatives. We discuss this stuff daily with homeowners here on Houzz...that's why I suggest you do more research on your own before deciding. You are the only one that can make the decision what trade offs you are willing to make for a specific material selection...we can tell you our favorites and our favorite horror stories...You need to live with it!
February 20, 2013 at 10:19pm   
evelyn
I have ceramic tile on my kitchen floor. In 27 years we have broken less than 6 items that fell on the floor (four kids). What does happen though, is that the glaze on the ceramic chips when cutlery falls on it exposing the clay under the glaze. (Usually happens when loading or unloading the dishwasher.) We have also had some items break when they fell on the maple dining room floor. So, I don't think broken dishes should be a reason to exclude tile. If I were to tile a floor again, I would use porcelain because the color is uniform throughout. In your case, I would match the dining room floor with the other wood floors or with whatever you use in the kitchen. It really depends on how the rooms are related and the effect you want to achieve. In no case would I use laminate.
February 21, 2013 at 7:46am     
need ideas on kitchen floor
I have a large kitchen with a chinese slate floor....
Need idea for soundproofing floor in upstairs condo kitchen
I live in an upstairs condo. Have sheet linoleum floor...
What is good soundproofing material? Don't want carpet...
Need Flooring ideas for kitchen/diningroom/hallway
We are redoing the house - white trim/black doors &...
Need help on how to improve our curb appeal in Minneapolis
Needs new siding. Thinking bout walk-out deck to the...
If you could change one thing about your house...
...what would it be? Tell us in the comments! If...
Landscaping raised house
Hi I am building a new house on a sloping piece of...
Time to paint Rosecottage kitchen
The white wall primer has been on for a year now since...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...