Wood countertop next to granite
jken
I am planning my kitchen and will have an L-shaped island, with the longer L portion being a prep/seated area (wood counter). I am having difficulty because the shorter L shape will be a different material (most likely granite) because the sink and dishwasher will be stationed there. I have concerns with the wood moving and the crevice between the wood and granite collecting food debris. Anyone have a similiar layout, comments, suggestions? Feel free to comment or make suggestions to overall layout/design as it is not yet finalized. Thanks for any and all input.
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Maybe continue the 42" wall to form a separation between the two countertops, or even make that wall a u-shape to encase that area?
February 21, 2013 at 2:17PM   
Majestic Kitchens and Bath
HI Jken, I had that issue on an island. what I did was to make the wood overlap the granite and sealed under the wood with clear silicone. The wood was 1 1/2" and the granite was 1 1/8" and we never had a movement issue.
February 21, 2013 at 2:42PM   
jken
Thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I considered extending the wall to seperate the two areas, but I feel that corner of the L will be where I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen and it will feel too closed off. I do like the idea of overlapping the materials. However, living in the midwest I have a hard time believing the wood won't have movement, which is of course my main concern.
February 21, 2013 at 3:20PM   
Mid Century Ranch - Need exterior color ideas
Looking for exterior color ideas. I am leaning towards...
Help on ideas for my entryway.
This is a very old farmhouse that has been remodeled....
smooth out orange peel textured walls with USG Tuff Hide Primer
Hi everyone We recently bought a 2002 standard tract...
Server/buffet
I want to get a server/buffet for my dining room but...