Wood countertop next to granite
jken
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am planning my kitchen and will have an L-shaped island, with the longer L portion being a prep/seated area (wood counter). I am having difficulty because the shorter L shape will be a different material (most likely granite) because the sink and dishwasher will be stationed there. I have concerns with the wood moving and the crevice between the wood and granite collecting food debris. Anyone have a similiar layout, comments, suggestions? Feel free to comment or make suggestions to overall layout/design as it is not yet finalized. Thanks for any and all input.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Maybe continue the 42" wall to form a separation between the two countertops, or even make that wall a u-shape to encase that area?
February 21, 2013 at 2:17PM   
PRO
Majestic Kitchens and Bath
HI Jken, I had that issue on an island. what I did was to make the wood overlap the granite and sealed under the wood with clear silicone. The wood was 1 1/2" and the granite was 1 1/8" and we never had a movement issue.
February 21, 2013 at 2:42PM   
jken
Thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I considered extending the wall to seperate the two areas, but I feel that corner of the L will be where I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen and it will feel too closed off. I do like the idea of overlapping the materials. However, living in the midwest I have a hard time believing the wood won't have movement, which is of course my main concern.
February 21, 2013 at 3:20PM   
More Discussions
Mid Century Ranch - Need exterior color ideas
Looking for exterior color ideas. I am leaning towards...
Help on ideas for my entryway.
This is a very old farmhouse that has been remodeled....
smooth out orange peel textured walls with USG Tuff Hide Primer
Hi everyone We recently bought a 2002 standard tract...
Server/buffet
I want to get a server/buffet for my dining room but...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™