Need help designing mudroom in new home!
andrewandreaFebruary 21, 2013
We are building a new home and I need help designing our mudroom. Please see the attached floor plan, the room size is 11 x 16. The layout of the mudroom can be completely changed, except for the placement of the exterior door. I would like to have a broom closet for the vacuum, swiffer, broom, mop etc, another closet to store coats, shoes, boots behind doors so I don't see the clutter. I'm thinking of a bench with hooks for the kids backpacks and maybe one jacket for each person in the family. We have an 8yo son and a 6yo daughter. I also have an upright freezer and the potential for a second refrigerator that I would like to go in the mudroom. I am trying to decide whether or not to add a craft area with a counter top and storage for craft supplies that would double as a charging station for phones and other electronics. I am thinking the craft area could also be where the crazy amount of papers could go (maybe each person has an in/out box) instead of on our kitchen island, which is where they end up currently. I would love any thoughts and ideas!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
88 Atelier for Architecture
My only comments are that the location of the door to the half bath means that the toilet will be visible from the kitchen when the door is open. At the very least I would reverse the swing, better yet move the door if possible. Generally mud rooms work better if you force people to walk thru them when entering the house from the yard or the garage, so the dirt stays in them, hence the term "mud room".
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildfan
That is a nice big space you have to work with. In our last house the garage led into the mudroom/laundry room and I hated it (walking into the laundry room). If it were my home I would prefer to walk into the mudroom and have the laundry room off to the side in a seperate room. We had wood lockers that I loved. One for each person with a cupboard on top and a drawer and shoe storage beneath. Also, a tech area would be nice for plugging in storing phones/electronics.
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:54PM