Buying a new house with kitchen that needs help - ideas???

Julie FischerFebruary 21, 2013
The appliances are being replace by stainless, plan on new countertops and back splash. Wondered whether to go with white cabinets, reface or replace existing with wood. Wood flooring will also be added
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julie Fischer
The color scheme will also be changed to beiges, browns with a blue accent color
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 6:24PM
PRO
JWinteriors
Hi Julie...i am a fan of staggering the heights of the upper cabinets. A straight, linear line is quite dull. I would add a crown to the pantry bump out, paint it an accent color and replace door with glass..make sure trim around door matches cabinetry. Add panels to the front of the peninsula for detail. Change out your recessed cans to pendants over counter for task lighting and bling...as far as how to treat your cabinets, you could unscrew the cabinets you want to raise to stagger...prime and paint. Color will depend on granite choice. Dark slate gray cabinets with a lighter granite or lighter cabinet color with a darker granite. Use a backsplash to unify the two. Use the kitchen photos from Houzz and focus in on the details...what do you gravitate to...
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 6:40PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
If your budget allows, you can change the cabinets. Upgrade them to cherry ar maple wood cabinets. If you are not happy with the layout, you can make slight changes , like moving the sink more to the left so you have distance between two workstations. Also you can move the refrigerator to the left, and have a bigger counter space on the right for small appliances, unless you are ok with the Refrigerator in the middle for visual balance. You can have a deep cabinet above the refrigerator. Matching door panels on the back of the island.
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 7:11PM
violinist3713
Hey Julie. I would personally go with white shaker maple cabinets, a black countertop and some latte paint ( from restoration hardware) Trust me, we installed this type of kitchen into our old house and loved it SO much that we are putting it into our new one as well. I highly reccomend this!!!!!! It brings such a bright, and happy feel to the space!
    Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:04PM