OLLD 2/22
olldroo
February 22, 2013 in Other
Good morning chooks and roosters - you know we'll always be good friends because you all know too much!!
olldroo
Talking my language!!!
February 22, 2013 at 3:52am     
creeser
Morning ladies! Roo, that is funny!
February 22, 2013 at 4:10am     
olldroo
Hi Creesey, where have you been?
February 22, 2013 at 4:12am     
Morning roo! I'm so happy that your paint and colors are making you happy! I really can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like a great storm you're expecting. Could be a great day to just relax and enjoy the weather! Put something good in the crock pot and smell it cooking all day. When do you start your kitchen, and what all are you doing in there? Cabinets? Appliances? Floor?
February 22, 2013 at 4:35am   
creeser
Morning roo, bobbi! Roo, just been hiding under the bridge with the rest of the trolls..*L* You're planning a kitchen remodel? You are a brave woman!
bobbi, crock pot cooking makes me so hungry with the smells all day that it drives me nuts! *L*
February 22, 2013 at 4:42am   
handymam
Hello bobbi and everyone else here! I found you! Would never have found this if you hadn't given me directions to join you!
February 22, 2013 at 4:48am     
olldroo
Well I was hoping we might start the kitchen around August - September, but now BH will be o/s might be this time next year. All going to be around finances so will just have to see. Might be nice to just space out for a while and get absolutely everything else finished plus will have time out with dd here middle of year. Absolutely everything is going, at the rate it is falling apart there won't be much left to remove -haha. My kitchen is pretty small by US standards - or maybe that is Houzz standards - and I am really happy to leave it that way, the layout suits me fine, so I won't be changing much except I found a fabulous idea here for my pantry. I could do with more bench space for appliances so this gave me the idea of extending the pantry and making a U shaped bench in it and having all my small appliances there with power points ready to go. Will take so much out of cupboards and then I can have pretty much all drawers which allowing for the fact you can usually put 3 drawers instead of 2 shelves will hopefully give me more space than I will ever need.

Hopefully we will also do the laundry up at the same time, we always intended tiling the floor but never did so it is just shiny concrete, which of course is now trendy. At least I can say I was 45 years ahead of my time!!! lol

Haven't got a crock pot anymore, never used it for years so I gave it away. Haven't really missed it and it is going to be 28 deg and probably massively humid so not that sort of food weather anyway.

]
February 22, 2013 at 4:54am   
Handymam! Yeah! Glad you found us, and welcome to our craziness. We talk about everything from our houses to our kids (well, they were kids once!) to recipes. We try to keep it light and try not to talk about other Houzzers so as not to cause a problem.

So, I'm in Northern California, olldroo is in Australia and creeser....I forget, South Carolina? Tell us something about yourself!
February 22, 2013 at 4:55am   
Roo, I would kill for an appliance pantry. One or two appliances per shelf and everything already plugged in and ready to go! Wow! Imagine??? If I took out the peninsula in my kitchen I could set something like that up. Unfortunately I don't have any extra flooring to fill in where the peninsula was. Bummer.
February 22, 2013 at 4:57am     
astraea
Have another early morning meeting, but wanted to check in, so I'd get notifications for today's posts. I'm kind of caught up, so I'll be back later .. hopefully!!
February 22, 2013 at 5:04am     
handymam
Thanks for the welcome! I am in Maryland, married and have 3 "kids" age 24 to 15. I am the handymam at our house, hence the name. We own our home and 2 others, and are looking to buy another one soon for my daughter to live in as it would be cheaper to buy than rent! Currnetly, my husband likes this one house that is pretty much all finished, but I wnat the ugly duck of the block that I can do some magic on. It's like a disease, lol. But really, it is a way to express my creativity and get out some stress!
February 22, 2013 at 5:06am     
olldroo
Yeah, handymam, glad you found your way. I've liked a lot of your comments so I think you will fit right in here - sense of humour vital too.

Oh dear, Creesy, hope you have no storms your way and get washed out.

I'm so over everything, it doesn't fuss me at all pulling out the whole kitchen. With my "love" of cooking the kitchen will probably breathe a sigh of relief anyway. My family room adjoins the kitchen and I can reorganise the bit of furniture I have there easily, so I will just put the fridges and microwave in there and rig up a bit of a bench space. With the laundry adjoining, hot water will be on tap so I can just get a plastic bin to sit in the deep laundry tub to wash up in and my existing sink which I would like to keep has a separate drainer that I can sit on the other laundry tub to drain things. BH loves to put shelves together so he can create to keep minimal dishes on hand, the rest can go in the dining room which isn't that far away. I actually have a bookcase in the room too, so I can put some books away and use those shelves. It is all very doable. I will go to the Club for dinner a few nights, cook up some dishes and freeze them or live on take away or maybe even go annoy DD a few nights. Of course if it is hot then it will just be salads and that is easy.
February 22, 2013 at 5:09am     
handymam
So, olldroo, what time is it where you are??
February 22, 2013 at 5:11am   
Handymam, it is like a disease, and believe me, there's no cure:)) I think once you get started it's hard to stop. My hubby had no interest at all in fixing/changing things but I think he's beginning to change, he asked me last night if we had any projects we could work on this weekend. Either that or he doesn't want to spend money on something else, I'm not sure. We bought a typical California ranch house last year and have been painting and replacing all the too normal things indicitive of a ranch style home. It was a flipped house and the flipper was an idiot and should stick to fly fishing or something else harmless.

Other olld members: Astraea lives in my beloved New Jersey (I was born and raised there, I'm an unwilling California transplant) and let's see, Ironwood lives near me in Sonoma, eztia lives in New Mexico, lisalovesquilts is in Scotland and I can't remember anyone else it's too early here! OH, and judyg lives on the Cape.

What projects do you have going on in your home now?
February 22, 2013 at 5:15am   
Hi there ladies - a photo that reflects a lot of my activity on Houzz
February 22, 2013 at 5:15am     
ASV, I love that!
February 22, 2013 at 5:16am   
;-)
February 22, 2013 at 5:18am   
creeser
roo, lots and lots of rain, but no storms. We're to get 2-3 inches the next couple of days and then more rain on Monday. Great time for indoor projects.
February 22, 2013 at 5:20am   
creeser
ASV, I need to post that photo up on my wall. It's my mantra. *L*
February 22, 2013 at 5:20am     
olldroo
Oh dear, another geography lesson for me - for some reason I thought Maryland was a town in Tennessee!!! So handymam you are over near Astraea - she is in New Jersey. I would go absolutely mad over there buying property when it is so cheap and then having the fun of doing it up. It would be a dream come true.

Bobbi - translate please, what do you call a peninsular? Is it like a counter that comes out into the room like a divider??
February 22, 2013 at 5:21am     
olldroo
Handymam - it is 12.25am Saturday morning here. Taking West Coast time we are presently 5 hours behind but a day ahead. Of course I should be making zzzzzzzzzzzs but too much happens here at this time.
February 22, 2013 at 5:27am   
handymam
Right now we live in a 1970 brick cape cod. I love it, but I probably need to do something about the blue tiles in the bathroom. Some days, I think leave them, they are fine, because truly they are. And other days, I get caught up in the "your house is dated! Rip out those tiles and get glass tiles! Paint everything white! Paint your fireplace!" Honestly, there are days since I have come to this site where I wonder if the world has gone insane? All the "experts" want to do away with all creativity and paint every front door and shutter black, lol!

P.S. I am a new York native transplanted to MD, so fuhgheddaboudit!
February 22, 2013 at 5:29am     
handymam
olldroo! Gotta wrap myhead around that time difference!
February 22, 2013 at 5:30am   
olldroo
Bobbi, you are getting worse than me. Busy is in Scotland too, olldcan is in Canada, trasgorshek is in Kansas, Michi - is she in Michigan?? and ASV (Antoinette) is in Switzerland. Where is mp?? Not sure where Kutchie is. OK don't yell at me if I've forgotten anyone .......... oops J22 is in CA too.

Astraea - Not another meeting - you are really arousing suspicion!!!!
February 22, 2013 at 5:33am     
roo, a peninsula is almost like an island but is attached to other cabinets. [houzz=
]

Handymam i predict once all the wood and brick in the world has been painted, natural wood and brick will become THE thing! You've heard of the Rustoleum restoration products? They have a new one specifically for tile, you could look into that. I painted my tile kitchen countertops with Rustoleum hammered copper paint and I love it. It was previously ugly floor tile, it looks much better now.

roo, seriously, how do you stay up so late???
February 22, 2013 at 5:34am     
Roo you are always up so late!!! I only really learned about how vast the US was by living in it. It is 14:25 here in Switzerland and cold and grey.
Creeser - I try to think that procrastination is really allowing me more thinking time... but then I totally forget!!!
February 22, 2013 at 5:35am   
handymam
W are far flunghere, I can see I am going to have to keep a list of where everyone is!
February 22, 2013 at 5:35am     
creeser
ASV, a kindred spirit! *L* Absolutely. Just taking our time as we might change our minds. IF we remember.
February 22, 2013 at 5:37am   
astraea
Roo; real estate prices are relative. This past week, one house in a small beach neighboring town went under contract in only 3 days, at $2.9 million .. the listing said "6 houses away from the beach". It was built in 1950 & the annual property taxes are $16,000. It's a corner lot with the side on a busy thru-street, but does have a nice 1/3 acre lot. Is that a "bargain" .. it probably needs updating?
February 22, 2013 at 5:37am   
handymam
I have heard of the Rustoleum products but haven't looked at the in the store or on line yet. Will have to do that.
February 22, 2013 at 5:38am   
Ironwood Builders
Good morning all! Bobbi, got your email. I'll cogitating on it for a while. Right now I'm working a deal to buy some massive pieces of reclaimed redwood. I have an idea for some coffee tables. The platelet thing is not good...they make you stop bleeding. They'll come back up! Time happens and I have functioning bone marrow! Welcome handymam! I've liked your comments too. I'm heading off to Stanford this morning, wish me luck!
February 22, 2013 at 5:39am     
olldroo
Handy - that is funny, only the other day we had lessons on the Aussie accent and US dialects. Don't start Judy off again.

I think Bobbi worked it out that there is 19 hours difference that that is too hard for me, I prefer my way. If you are on East Coast time you would add on 8 hours and not 5. One of my joeys lives in LA so i am used to working the time out that way before I call her. Of course with you going onto Daylight Saving soon and us coming off it that adds another 2 hours.
February 22, 2013 at 5:40am     
Roo, Maryland a town in Tennessee? You're probably thinking of Graceland!
February 22, 2013 at 5:40am   
Dave! Good luck and prayers are with you!
February 22, 2013 at 5:41am   
Ironwood Builders
Oh, did you guys see my response to the post about the 15,000 sq ft house? Did I leave out any rooms?
February 22, 2013 at 5:42am     
olldroo
Bobbeeeeeeeeeee - of course I know where Graceland is - doesn't everyone???

Good luck Dave, fingers crossed for you.

Bobbi, the time just flies when you lot all get up, I was determined to be in bed by 11.30 and actually got quite a shock when I saw how late it is. At least I absolutely crash when my head hits the pillow.

OK so you have a kitchen bar. If you didn't need the bench space and putting a wall in didn't darken your kitchen, you could use that space easily as a pantry and you would have so much extra space with things a lot more accessible. My original kitchen had ordinary cupboards along the wall where I have my pantry now, but it made the kitchen too wide and I felt I was walking miles each day so I made the cupboards deeper to get a pantry in and the rest of the space up to the doorway I divided in half and put a broom cupboard at the back at the doorway and a full length cupboard for crockery and stuff at the front. I put half shelves in the middle shelves too which were an absolute boon for storing cups and bowls and gave me heaps of extra space. Now I'm looking at putting those two cupboards into the pantry. I will still have that space in the pantry to put crockery and glassware in, I don't need that much for food, but I will also have drawers for it too elsewhere in the kitchen. As far as the floor goes, as it would be in the pantry, you could pretty much use anything that co-ordinated.

I have a sewing cupboard in the family room that I never use now and have culled all my sewing stuff down so I will make that 1/2 broom cupboard and 1/2 general storage.
February 22, 2013 at 5:56am     
olldroo
Astraea, I know prices are relative. Some areas would be more expensive than others but the thing is you can buy homes over there for prices we haven't seen for 20 years. The only downside to your properties are the annual taxes - they are huge compared to ours. Structured totally differently.
February 22, 2013 at 6:01am   
olldroo
Haven't got that far yet Dave, I will check it out in the morning - sounds a hoot.

Night all, have a good day - don't do anything I wouldn't do.
February 22, 2013 at 6:02am   
mpoulsom
Welcome Handymam! I'm mp, (even though bobbi FORGOT about me! well I never!!! thank you Roo for remembering me! tee hee) Creeser and I are both in SC, which I call South Kakalaki. Was born here, but lived near Bobbi for about 13 years, in San Fran and Oakland. MOved back here about 15 years ago.

Don't think I answered a Judyg ? yesterday. Won't know about out Olld Houzz til March 15th. :(
February 22, 2013 at 6:03am   
Ironwood Builders
Hey! ASV won the Ireland holiday! Non-designer me came in second! Antoinette, are they going to use you to actually do the makeover? Hope so!
February 22, 2013 at 6:06am     
creeser
Ironwood, you're going to have to show photos of the coffee tables when you're done. I'd trade a couple of in-laws for one of them!
MP... I'm the grammar police... it's Cackalacky! *L* http://www.palmettotrading.com/blog/new-products-south-cackalacky-t-shirts-and-gifts/ C'mon gf, all of us sand dollars and even the geechi girls know that!
February 22, 2013 at 6:10am     
mpoulsom
Creesy, I am too Californian in heart i guess....really NOT a southern belle! HA! Just born and raised here! :)
February 22, 2013 at 6:15am   
mpoulsom
Tras,is really getting the snow now. Saw that on the news. Hope the kids are having fun in the snow!
Dave, I'm sorry your platelets (sp) are low. Take it one day at a time and easy does it mister!
February 22, 2013 at 6:17am   
mpoulsom
Actually creesy...my kakalaki looks more Greek, eh? lol
February 22, 2013 at 6:19am     
creeser
MP, you are forgiven then. ;) Bet if you spent a weekend in Charleston with me, those dormant Carolina genes would kick in and you'd be drippin' with sweettea, wearing palmetto moon gear and have a hankerin' to go muddin' down at Pocotaligo Swamp. Just sayin'...
February 22, 2013 at 6:22am     
Ironwood Builders
Is olldcan about? Got a post here on other looking for a 4' tub in Toronto.
February 22, 2013 at 6:23am   
creeser
Now that you mention MP, it does appear a bit Greek. No wonder I was craving ouzo and baklava. :)
February 22, 2013 at 6:24am   
mpoulsom
Projects....???? of course I have projects bob, I always do. I still haven't framed the pics for the guest room yet. I am off today and doing a laundry project right now...uughhhh.....as in actually washing clothes, and my coverlet that Dali piddled on this morning. I may get to the framing and hanging of pics though. It's rainy and cloudy and gross outside. Of course it is, because it's my day off! But right now, I need to take a shower and really start my day. Almost finished with my java addiction for the morn.
February 22, 2013 at 6:25am   
Hi Dave - your idea of redwood slices as coffee tables sounds wonderful (I am an absolute nut for deadwood and driftwood and keep collecting bits of wood wherever I go). But why not use some as vertical screens? I have seen so many coffee tables and although I love them, I would like to see something more from them. If they're massive can you make them dining tables or even conference tables?
February 22, 2013 at 6:29am     
mpoulsom
oh creeser I only drink unsweetened tea, slightly sweetened with sweet & skinny of course! lol
Listen I had some of the best baklava last weekend. J and I went to The Pita House in Greenville. It's a small restaurant and market. Bought some great spices, curries, etc. But they had a bakery and I got 3 different desserts. Holy Moly! Best I've had in years. My old neighbors were Greek when I was in H.S. and we used to raid a freezer in their pantry filled with greek pastries made by her mom and aunts. Oh yeah! Deelish!
February 22, 2013 at 6:30am   
mpoulsom
ASV, I love deadwood and driftwood as well. I want to make a circular ball from driftwood to put around a globe light I have out on the beach porch.
February 22, 2013 at 6:32am   
creeser
MP, I'll have to make note. I do so love baklava. I've made it before, but it's just never the same as what people that know what they're doing can make. And don't get me started on gyros! Love them!
February 22, 2013 at 6:40am   
Dave, I saw that response and I was literally laughing out loud!! The only room I didn't see on your list was the servant's quarters, or maybe I just missed it? What is the Ireland holiday?

Roo, I don't need the bench space at all, I just don't have any more flooring material as it was installed before we moved in. Bummer.

MP, I'm sorry! I would never forget about you. But in my defense, it was a bit early! I love baklava! It's not that hard to make, either, once you get the hang of the phyllo dough. Lot's of butter!

I had the funniest experience this morning at midnight, I was laughing out loud. Woke up with my throat so dry I could hardly swallow but didn't want to get out of bed for a drink. So I just kept at it til I cured it, curled up to go back to sleep and then got the mother of all hot flashes. That' it for the night. Got up, went to put my contacts in and at a crucial moment I sneezed and sent the contact flying! OMG, it was funny!
February 22, 2013 at 6:46am     
Roo and MP - would you ever do this? It's kind of neat but I can see all kinds of things going wrong...... http://homeguides.sfgate.com/splatter-ceiling-59206.html
February 22, 2013 at 6:51am   
Linda
I'm in Chicagoland. Around here, the restaurant industry is heavily Greek, so finding good Baklava is pretty easy. There's lots of Greek run fast food places with gyros and shish kebobs, although much of the kitchen staff is Hispanic
February 22, 2013 at 6:55am     
mpoulsom
I might do it in an art gallery or something, but prob not in my own house....lol
If i ever open a gallery bob, I'll consider this for the ceiling....which would be done first before I moved in of course. :)
February 22, 2013 at 6:58am     
Linda, funny, around here we have pizza places that specialize in gyros and shish kebobs! And the Chinese restaurants all have Mexican cooks. So if Mexicans make good cooks, why doesn't my hubby ever cook? hehehe
February 22, 2013 at 6:58am     
MP, I can see it done on canvas and then hang/frame the canvas, but the ceiling? How do you keep from getting it all over yourself? Every time I paint a wall I get more on me!
February 22, 2013 at 6:59am     
mpoulsom
You DO get it all over yourself! That's the fun of it! I'm sure I would want a group to do this and an all out painting fight would begin!!! lol
February 22, 2013 at 7:10am     
Linda
I've taken the week off from most productive activities. We spent Monday sorting and organizing the basement at the new home base. The prior owner was a contractor and left tons of buckets of paint and primer so I went through and put about 8 different primers into one five gallon bucket. I ended up with 4 gallons of a brownish toned, off white primer. I was going to do the same with some of the paints, but just got distracted before getting there.

Finally, we got an answer from the bank on the offer we had in for a short sale property. We saw the house in December 2011 and immediately put in a cash offer for full listing price. Then, it took the bank 14 months to come back with an answer...after something like 4 or 5 rounds of BPOs (broker price opinions), they decided to ask for another $3,000. I think the house has probably gone up in value more than $3,000 in the past year as prices are starting to trend upwards, and that $3,000 won't even pay the additional property taxes for the year the bank has been holding on to that house.

we had almost given up on ever getting that house so we were thinking that the new property would be the home base as it has a decent sized garage 20x24 for material and is in pretty good shape inside, although the prior owner left several unfinished projects. Of course, all plans are subject to change so now it looks like we'll be moving again in another month of so and painting up this house for sale. The short sale house has a giant 22x31 foot garage with a floored attic...we don't buy houses, we buy garages!
February 22, 2013 at 7:13am     
Oh, MP, I can see flying water balloons filled with paint! Or SuperSoaker water guns! OMG that would be so much fun, especially if we were all wearing yellow raincoats and boots and hats. WE MUST DO THIS!!!

Linda, you are so ambitious! Where do you get your energy and will you please share some? It's a good thing you weren't in a hurry to hear back about that house since it took more than a year. Why do banks take so long to respond to offers on short sales? Don't they want these houses off their books?
February 22, 2013 at 7:18am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Welllll.........a good morning to all from here in MEMPHIS in the house.....yall missed my crowing at the sunrise, the neighbors weren't none to happy but they can't aim for crap either.....they needed to get up anyways.

Dave, wishing you the best at Sanford today. Take care and listen to your body language.

So far it's a good day........wouldn't you know it, my house cleaning day and I feel fine.......today it may just get a quick drive by cleaning. I've had this image of the Puffin on the rock cliffs in my head since yesterday and want to get it sketched out.......

Welcome handymam to the hen house.......i'm one of the roosters here, so stay in line will ya....actually that's my big illusion. In reality I'm just an old retired Architectural Designer / Project Manger / General Contractor hen pecked Domestic Special Project Manger now that enjoys giving the hens a hard time and watching the tail feathers flutter in the wind.

And Roo.....even though I live in the land of Graceland.....would you believe, I've never been there....don't even have an inkling to go there......it's tacky as all get out. Didn't even bother visiting his birthplace when I worked 3 blocks away from it in Tupelo, MS while the wife was in law school at Ole Miss.

M are you in Greenville? I got my start in this Architectural profession many many moons ago with Fluor Daniel.......lived there about 5 years in a previous life at the base of Paris Mountain. Loved it.......last time I was through there though I was astonished at how much it had changed. Will have to make a point of getting back through there...........maybe next late summer's road trip......late spring trip is already planned .........fly fishing with my brother through southern and mid Colorado on our motorcycles......

Well, it's time to change the laundry loads and do something...............carry on ladies.... but behave.
February 22, 2013 at 7:27am     
Dave, when you get back from Stanford, please let us know how it went?
February 22, 2013 at 9:08am     
I JUST JUMPED ON AND WOW CAN YOU GUYS TALK!
mp, she forgot you, but I was an afterthought. I felt like Valentine's Day in school and everyone gets one except you and mine was already opened!

Mam, welcome, have read some of you comments. You do indeed belong here. My DD was stationed at Bethesda Naval Hosp for two years. One of my favorite trips to go to MD and then do a day trip to Frederick and go antiquing.

ASV…my office floor should be on that poster. 1099's (income tax stuff) mixed in with Benjamin Moore paint chips. A total mess.

crees, where have you been? Have you been out trying to steel something off the truck?

bobbi, morning, sorry, afternoon, cutie.

roo, I hear zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's all the way from Australia.

Linda, short sales are so annoying. We helped out daughter's friend go through the process. It puts "making an offer" into a completely different realm. We did learn that some banks are much more accommodating than others and, a few, are just down right nasty. I don't understand why it takes so long. I would think a good cash offer would work. Why a bank wants to carry real estate is beyond me.

Dave, maybe it is meds causing a low platelet count. :>)

Off to look at wallpaper for the client's master bedroom. I thought of doing a wall paper accent wall behind her 4 poster bed, an Eldred Wheeler piece with a crochet canopy. Have you seen Anna French papers, though Thibaut? I thought something from her collection would work.
Japonica Francis
February 22, 2013 at 9:39am     
creeser
judy, you caught me. I got busted and just made bail. *L*
February 22, 2013 at 11:09am     
busylady1
Hi all, Well I am definitely going to have to retire, because I just can't keep up with you all and go to work as well! I am still answering yesterday's posts!

Bobbi I have never heard of tres leches cake ( does that mean " very milky"?) I am picking up an all round education here. Geography, language skills and accents,and cookery, not to mention design, well you are never too old, or should that be OLLD!

Judy thanks for the recipe, loads of calories, but sounds sweet, moist and delicious! Ina Garten always uses " heavy cream" and I didn't really know what it is, but it must be the equivalent of our "double cream". Hey, I am supposed to be on a major diet, and have to get on the scales tomorrow morning! Loved the Anna French wallpapers, specially the first one.

Dave, congrats on your functioning bone marrow, may it go from strength to strength. Slices of Redwood? Could you make wonderful chunky mantelpieces.

Roo, where do you get your energy and ideas from. They sound great and I look forward to seeing the photos.

ASV, how fantastic, a holiday in Ireland. Just over the sea from us, shocking that we have never been. My grandad was born in Dublin and my sister is going over in 2 weeks time to try to trace the family tree.

Handymam, welcome to the group! Hope you know you are never going to get things done, because you will be checking what the group is chatting about several times a day.

So cold here in Scotland today, I am snuggled under a throw, with a hot water bottle and the heating on full blast!
February 22, 2013 at 11:24am   
judy, I didn't forget you on purpose. What do you want for 3 AM???? I love the first wallpaper but not the second, I think it's unanimous.

busylady, tres leches translated is three milk! It tastes like cake and ice cream all in one bite. Super yummy! And yes, you must retire! Aren't you ready to?????
February 22, 2013 at 11:54am   
ez, you are amazing. Your knowledge and interest in facts is incredible. Did you tell us what did professionally?

Bobbi, do you think the cake would be okay with the boxed white? And, how could forget someone like moi? And on purpose, no less. :>)

Once I saw the wallpapers in person, I changed my mind. I don't think I can find the one I will present to them. Then I ran over to our carpet store and picked out a Smart Strand carpet in a beautiful silver grey, called Lone Star. This suite is moving along (at least for me) and the couple will be down tomorrow to see my choices. There is not one thing more fun in this whole world than spending someone else's money.
February 22, 2013 at 12:16pm     
Is this cute? For you all across the Atlantic.

February 22, 2013 at 12:18pm     
judy, gimme a break, you know I'm OLLD!!! No! No boxed white cake! It must be a sponge cake. Go to the bakery and buy a plain one, why not?
February 22, 2013 at 12:19pm     
astraea
Roo – 2/3 of our property taxes fund the school systems .. that’s why they’re so high. How are the schools funded in Australia?
February 22, 2013 at 12:34pm   
busylady1
I like the picture Judy, it would look good in our family room, which needs a bit of brightening up!
February 22, 2013 at 12:56pm     
handymam
busylady, you are correct! Since I have joined this fun group of people I have found every excuse to get on the computer and see what is going on. And I am getting nothing done except enjoying myself getting to know all of you!
February 22, 2013 at 1:20pm     
Good job handymam! We get nothing done either!
February 22, 2013 at 1:21pm     
handymam
At least now I have an excuse!
February 22, 2013 at 1:23pm     
Ok, here's a question for everyone. Does anyone know of a dual coffee maker that makes both a pot of coffee AND a single cup using the K-cups? Hamilton Beach makes a dual coffee maker but it doesn't take the K-cups and that's the closest I could find. Help?
February 22, 2013 at 1:28pm   
mpoulsom
If you find one it will prob cost $3000! but if they make a coffee maker and shower head all in one, i'm sure they make the duo you want! ;) I bet R can find one!!
February 22, 2013 at 1:47pm     
handymam
A coffee maker and a shower head in one? What's next a combination microwave and clothes dryer? :)
February 22, 2013 at 1:55pm     
MP, you're right! You're crazy, but you're right! Post the pic if you can for handymam!!!
February 22, 2013 at 2:02pm   
hmam, you weren't around when this crazy OLLD discussion was going on…read this and think twice about joining us nuts. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/279702/OLLD-12-26
February 22, 2013 at 2:11pm     
Good one judyg!
February 22, 2013 at 2:12pm     
I'm worried about David!
February 22, 2013 at 2:17pm     
I think I have asked this question before, but how do you keep track of everything you have commented on? Bobbi, you are so fast at responding. How do you know when there has been a comment made that relates to you…in any convo?
February 22, 2013 at 2:18pm   
Judy, I keep three windows open all the time. One for email, one for discussions and one for research. As soon as the email comes in I open it and respond if I have anything to say. Is that what you mean?
February 22, 2013 at 2:20pm     
mp….The winner will be revealed during the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway 2013 special on March 15, 2013, at 7 pm ET.

I have started packing, although no perishables like my limes for the tequila…just in case the trip is called off.
February 22, 2013 at 2:20pm     
You started packing? You goof!
February 22, 2013 at 2:24pm     
bobbi, I didn't pack the limes…..

And here is one for you, because you have not started dinner yet. 3 x 5 Yikes. CP couldn't even turn around :>) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/363707/Need-help-with-a-small-bath-
February 22, 2013 at 2:45pm   
judy, that shower is tiny, poor thing. I think even R's shower is bigger than that.

Uncle! It's 70 degrees outside. I'm taking out my summer stuff and washing sweatshirts. Next week is supposed to be even warmer!
February 22, 2013 at 3:15pm     
I think Houzz is a little behind in the email's again. STK, I just got the notification of your post from eight hours ago!!!
February 22, 2013 at 3:18pm   
bobbi, Dave is on a lot of meds…that might be causing a low platelet count. Even some diabetic stuff can do that. Valproic acid
Methotrexate
Carboplatin
Interferon
Isotretinoin
Panobinostat
Other chemotherapy drugs
February 22, 2013 at 3:38pm     
I know but I could be a professional worrier! Not warrier, worrier!
February 22, 2013 at 3:56pm     
trasgorshek
Oh my gosh, I can't even begin to catch up. It's like reading a novel. I'm trying but it might take me awhile to catch everything. From yesterday's I caught that we've had some serious illnesses to take care of. STK and Judy how are you guys doing now? Dave, please let us know how everything goes! And Princess, we haven't heard from you today...what's going on? Have you had anymore pains and did you get into the doctors?

Well, it's been Snow Armageddon here. We can handle snow no problem, usually get couple inches each time but wholly molly when it's come in big quantities, it shuts the city down. I love it. I know most people dislike it but I find it really enjoyable. Kids have to stay home, oldest couldn't get out if she wanted to. She actually joined us for fun. We've been playing, cooking, sledding and EATING. But, once the streets opened up, off she went. :( Oh, to be young again.

Judy, you always crack me up. What I thought of was Valentine's Day when the school hands out secret roses. At our school you could buy one for $1 and have it sent to a selected person. We used to buy them for all our dear friends. It was always so sad when you didn't get any. I often thought I should order myself some...just in case. ;) MP Thank you for thinking of me and where we live!! I got a rose!!! You guys are so great!! I've missed you over the last couple of days.
February 22, 2013 at 4:06pm     
olldroo
Holy, moly, I am seriously wetting my pants here laughing - you sound like a bunch of bloody drongos!!. You are getting me so I won't be able to sleep at night wondering what the heck you are all getting up to next.

Don't know what is happening about our BIG 1 in 20 year storm, rained on and off all night and the wind seemed to be picking up but when I woke this morning it was absolutely pouring down and no wind at all. It has started up again and is cold enough for a jacket but I have the fan on because it is really clammy - just everything you touch feels wet.

Handy - I have known people to actually try to dry clothes in the microwave - more drongos.

Bobbi, rap on the knuckles for you too - we both forgot Linda and Princess - sorry guys. I do hope Princess has seen a doctor and is ok.
February 22, 2013 at 5:11pm     
handymam
Drongos? Don't know what that word means exactly, but it won't stop me from using it!
February 22, 2013 at 5:15pm     
handymam
thank you eztia! I won't look like a drongo and use it incorrectly now!
February 22, 2013 at 5:40pm     
olldroo
Where the heck do I start???

Bobbi, what sort of kitchen flooring do you have? I'm sure we could come up with something to improvise.

Splatter painting was my most favourite form of painting - 1. you are allowed to make a mess, 2. you don't have to be artistic to do it. I was thinking of paint ball games to do the ceiling. You are giving me ideas here though, I will file that away for further deliberation.

Judy, I LOVE that building artwork. I'm running out of walls fast here.

I'm amazed at the attitudes by Banks, you would think they would want to offload the properties asap. Sort of a slap in the face to the original owners too, won't let them stay in them, especially anyone trying to get on their feet, but then hang onto them. Either way they aren't getting any money. With so many properties up for sale, if the banks started stuffing people around wouldn't they risk being told to shove it. It wouldn't work here.

Kutchie, I am definitely not into US tackiness. If I ever made it there I reckon Las Vegas would do me - or maybe I would check out the Kardashians for a real laugh.

Busy - sorry but "Roo" and "energy" do not go in one sent
February 22, 2013 at 5:45pm     
olldroo
oooop, there must be some sort of a limit here, it chopped off half my sentence

Busy - "Roo" and "energy" do not go in one sentence. The only energetic part of me is my brain and it works overtime on ideas - good, bad and plain ridiculous.
February 22, 2013 at 5:49pm     
mpoulsom
hey......i'm BAAAAAAACCKKKKKKKKKKKK! lol
February 22, 2013 at 5:50pm     
mpoulsom
mornin roo or afternoon????

tras....i KNEW you guys were gonna have some fun today. I'm jealous. Just cold and rainy here today.
had to go buy a battery for my poor little car today. I'll have to take it to the mechanic tomorrow i guess. One of the cables was so corroded with battery acid that I was scared for the auto store to switch it out. Which is what i usually do. I hope to God the car starts in the morn without me having to jump it!

sittin on the couch watching dateline, Dali to my right passed out against me, Fooey leaning up against my feet and Nala has gone into the artroom where her perch is located. Very interesting dynamic going on within the animal circle right now. Not sure who's boss yet???? Fooey is not very happy, but eventually he'll come around. He's barking in another language at the Dali. Not very pleasant either. All Dali wants to do is play with the Foo....poor little baby girl.

Boo Mappin and Mal came over and spent some time today. That was fun. The circus tent is here and the elephant pillow! hahaha! So of course Dali spent some time in the tent today needless to say.

STK, old question, sorry. I am about 15 minutes from downtown Greenville. And yes it is quite the sight these days, especially downtown. They have spent a ton of money, but it looks fab! And new things just keep happening. Big art scene too!

Hey there judyg.....all you need to bring is tequila...we'll buy the limes there! :)
February 22, 2013 at 6:01pm     
olldroo
HAHA I knew Ez would be straight onto drongo. You're a legend woman!!!!

Astraea - our schools are funded by both State and Commonwealth Governments from general taxes. Unlike your schools, our public schools are run by the States and not by Cities. It is really complicated to explain, but, well I'm sort of comparing with LA here because I have picked up the gist of that. You have LA, the CBD, so even though that is not the capital city of CA we will assume it is for comparison sake. So LA would be Sydney, which is a City, then you have places like Beverley Hills, Burbank, Pasadena that are also Cities to you but here they would be classified as Suburbs (probably because ours are so much smaller). Each of your Cities collect taxes and run utilities and facilities within the City such as schools. Here our suburbs are formed into groups - some small, some large - and those groups are called Municipalities or Shires. The Municipalities or Shires are a tier of Government called Local Government, are run similar to a State or Federal Government and we vote for a Mayor and Councillors. In voting the Municipalities or Shires are broken up into 3 or 4 Ridings (actually think they have changed the name to Ward now) and Councillors are voted in to look after the needs of the residents of the areas they represent. These Municipalities or Shires charge taxes we call Council Rates each year that are based on a small percentage of land valuation and those taxes go towards general upkeep and maintenance of the area and construction of community facilities like parks, playgrounds, community centres, libraries, swimming pools, etc. We have a separate Government Department that looks after the valuation of properties and a revised valuation is done every 5 years.

I might add some of our larger suburbs have reached City status but they are still a suburb as far as governing goes.

The other annual rates we pay are for water and sewerage and that goes to Sydney Water, another State Government Department.

What we do pay here though that can be extremely hefty is Stamp Duty. No idea what the rhyme or reason is as to what purchases attract it and what don't but whenever you purchase a home, you pay Stamp Duty, which is a percentage of the purchase price, eg on a $1m home you would pay $40,490. That is a one-off payment, but that goes to State revenue. If you sell your home in a short period of time or it is not your main residence or you lease it, you also pay Capital Gains Tax to the Feds on any profit you make from it.
February 22, 2013 at 6:04pm   
olldroo
mp, what I thought was going to be a quick morning while I ate breakfast is now pm and lunch time. At least the weather has BH on his computer too so he isn't banging around trying to send hints.
February 22, 2013 at 6:10pm     
olldroo
Awww ......... just found one of the best colour comments on Houzz I have ever seen

I helped my good friend (66) paint her living room orange - It's so cozy and happy like being immersed inside a bowl of butternut squash soup.
February 22, 2013 at 6:12pm     
trasgorshek
Did we forget Janis, Julie and Busylady?? It's too much to skim through...that or I'm just too lazy.
February 22, 2013 at 6:13pm     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Did someone mention me and drongo int he same sentence?? ahh that takes me back...........
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/357575/Does-this-stone-arch-look-good--Or-does-it

Ahhhh, where would we be without About.com and the cut and paste function...... nasty nasty.
February 22, 2013 at 6:17pm     
olldroo
OOOOPS yes, Janis and Julie - fancy me forgetting a fellow Aussie. I did pick up on Busy though. Bobbi is up way too early and me way too late - at least we tried.
February 22, 2013 at 6:17pm     
trasgorshek
Julie, caught it too. Just been waiting to see reaction. Why??? Why does this happen?? Makes zero sense.
February 22, 2013 at 6:21pm     
trasgorshek
I have no idea why I can't multi task anymore. It drives me crazy. I used to be able to do multiple things at once no problem. But I cringe if the phone rings while cooking, never fails, I always forget to do something or miss an ingredient. I did it again tonight with my meatballs. I was thinking about that while eating...I just need to stop answering the phone, but it was hubby and he always wants to catch up.
February 22, 2013 at 6:25pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I find I just cannot be bothered to pick up the phone anymore. Either get me by email or fb or text otherwise I'm not likely to see it! Most phone calls are spam these days anyway!

Roo did you finish your painting?? Can't believe you are having more rain.!? Someone told me it has rained for 11 days now......he was always bitchin he had no rain... rain seems to be coming early now, isn't it usually more like easter.?
February 22, 2013 at 6:29pm   
olldroo
No, Julie, we didn't call you a drongo only the ones that went beserk here while I was innocently sleeping and sorry I forgot you at 1am this morning.

Yes, well nasty, nasty is getting very proficient at that lately - writing more and saying nothing.

Have to go find the 15,000 sq ft house.
February 22, 2013 at 6:36pm     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Tras, how much snow did you get??? It was headed our way but it's turned to rain for us tomorrow I believe?
February 22, 2013 at 6:36pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Think Houzz may have had a word or two........
That's OK...what were you doing at 1am??? not sleeping? too many design dilemmas over there??
February 22, 2013 at 6:38pm     
trasgorshek
I haven't watched the news to get accurate amount but from our deck it looks like 12-14 inches. The drifts are really high but then other areas are not so bad. My sister said there's another one heading our way Sun/Mon. Figured I would watch tonight to see. I hardly ever pay attention to weather since it constantly changes for us. But you should see the plow heaps. So funny. It will take forever to melt. It is a child's paradise! My teen is out sledding in the dark right now with a bunch of girl friends.
February 22, 2013 at 6:46pm   
You know what? We are an OLLD family. I think we know who has OLLD tattooed on their hearts. Even the three roosters, Dave, Kutchie and Dy (when he can).

tras, cutie, you can't multi task when you have one going to college, one going into k-garten and the biggest baby coming home. Counsel Julie when you have a minute.
February 22, 2013 at 6:47pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Tras cut yourself some slack if you have that wide an age range at home...hope ti wasn't the meat you left out of your meatballs!!! We're still sledding on 2 week old snow/ice here.
February 22, 2013 at 6:53pm     
olldroo
No, Julie I usually check my computer before I shut it down on the way to bed, and clean out and tidy my emails but that is when this mob are all waking up and starting their chatter, so of course I think I will join in to save time in the morning and before I know it, it is morning. I usually get a second wind around 10pm too that doesn't help. We will have the time change overs soon and that will make a big difference - even Bobbi won't be awake when I go to bed.

It is about 3 weeks now the weather maps have shown nothing but rain, rain and more rain and they still show it for the next week but it isn't steady and not necessarily across the whole city. Some days the coast cops it, other days it is out west. We've had quite a bit of night rain too and by 9 or 10 it has fined up to a reasonable day, nowhere near as hot as February can be, but of course with rain comes the humidity. Some days we have had 5 mins of rain, just enough to be a nuisance. There is supposed to be a really bad low off the coast bringing a 1 in 20 year storm with it. It has whipped up huge seas - 7m waves - and we were to expect 100k winds. It has wiped out all the Gold Coast beaches, Coffs got it bad yesterday and we are supposed to be getting it today but although it is windy in gusts and raining on and off it is nothing like predicted so goodness knows where it has got to. February is often a rainy month, still cyclone season, but these days who can predict anything. Easter usually is rain as it always has to rain on holiday weekends on principle - you should know that!!

Painter hopes to finish Monday and I'm just loving it all. He suggested we wait a week to do the carpet so the enamel on the timber really sets so hopefully the rest of the carpet will go down the week after and then the BIG reorganisation begins and I will hopefully start ordering the rest of the new furniture I want plus get these damned curtains finished. I'm up to the bit I hate most, measuring them for the hems but I am forcing myself forward. So angry with myself yesterday, I got some continuous lining for the lounge room curtains so save on sewing, so all I have to do is a hem on each side - simple???? Nah, stupid here somehow managed to turn one hem one way and the other the opposite way, so sat last night just pulling two hems undone. Just hate it when I do stupid things like that and it annoys me more because I check and double check.
February 22, 2013 at 7:01pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Rain: just the sound of it is making my hair frizz !!!! Thankfully we are cold and dry air now so my hair is half decent looking. Cannot stand the humidity. Always sad when those GC beeches get washed out, btu they always seem to come back thankfully!

10 pm here too now and I get second wind too after I sleep on the floor in front of the TV after I finish work.

It is so hard making curtains unless you have the table like I do. I remember making drapes with my mum for my Sydney place..nightmare, think I had 10 ft ceilings there. It is 14 ft long and 60" wide, so I can do really long drapes on it. We have systems in place so we can't forget and hem the wrong side! Double width lining is a blessing though.
When we make drapes we start at the bottom and go up, so hems get done first, and the length is worked out at the top before pleating.

You MUST post pics. I can almost smell the paint and the new carpet!!!! Yum. Did you use oil based paints? you mentioned enamel..or are oil based totally out now? I know take a long time to set but last well.
February 22, 2013 at 7:09pm   
I was hoping that houzz would purge the nasties by now. It makes no sense to have a wonderful place like this to share, suggest and support those who want to make a difference in their homes, and then be shot down by angry people. We have one thing in common. We want our homes to be the best we can make them…to reflect us and our commitment to have a place where we can go, in good times and in bad. Maybe it comes down to jealousy. We have; they don't. And it has nothing at all to do with money.

As tras has said, there are all sorts of disguises.
February 22, 2013 at 7:17pm     
olldroo
Julie you cracked me up asking Tras if she left out the meat - honestly there are days I would do that - the reason now I mostly buy them all ready done. Coles have some really nice Italian flavoured pork ones $6 a dozen so it is really cheaper than having all the ingredients on hand for the odd times I feel like them.

I'm managing fine with my dining room table for the curtains, once I used the lounge room floor as I had heaps of room to spread there but now my knees don't like getting up and down, the table is working fine. I got a big, I think they call it a T-square or something, it is a big right angled thing in metal BH had in his workroom and nice and heavy. I have been using that on the thermal linings to draw a cutting line as they stay in place, the fabric curtains and linings I have been doing a pulled thread to get a straight line. So far so good.

I only used oil enamel on the woodwork - skirting, architraves and window frames - I like that it wears better and I find Dulux doesn't chip like others do, although the painter said the acrylics are improving every day.

I tried to take some pics but the colours just aren't photographing well. I'll keep trying, I'm so in love with it all, I'm dying for you to see. Maybe as I add furnishings the walls will photo better too.
February 22, 2013 at 7:25pm   
olldroo
Did anyone else find that 15,000 sq. ft house, no idea what to find it under and the search isn't helping.
February 22, 2013 at 7:26pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
yes judy I know. There are many opinions expressed on the threads, and we have to respect that, not get angry when someone disagrees with us. Each to his own and let the original poster make up their own mind.
it is not a competition to see who is "right" and bullying other posters is shameful.
Tras is right, there are.
February 22, 2013 at 7:26pm     
olldroo
Ez, you are too clever - now I am going to have to sit down and make a list till I get 24. Don't think I'm going to get anywhere near that.
February 22, 2013 at 7:29pm   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Roo youa re a perfectionist pulling threads......that is the absolute correct way and I only do that on floppy linens or sheers. Sounds like they will come out great. The T square is a good thing to use, and I use that a lot.

Try photographing at different times of the day to get the light right. I am presently getting some of my work professional photographed and it s interesting to see the tricks they use to get the light right, like using white cardboard or the like to reflect light back onto where you need it.
Unfortunately we dont get Dulux over here..but there are so many brands here your head would spin.
February 22, 2013 at 7:31pm   
Night, girls and roosters. Dave, hope you are okay. Check in, please.

roo, don't wake us up…just bobbi. xxxooo
February 22, 2013 at 7:36pm     
trasgorshek
Roo, I was dying laughing too! That would be me to forget the meat, but I actually did get that one correct I just left out the parmesan cheese. No biggie, just me and little one eating them...well, actually just me if I really want to be precise. So, it doesn't matter...just irks me when I do it. ugghh

Ok, I will most definitely have to take a picture when I start my living room drapes. You will get a kick out of it. I have to use the floor. I have no where else to do them. I sew on the table but I have to do all of my pinning, ironing, etc. on the floor. Yes, it is something to see. If I weren't so darn cheap I would just go buy them. But I can never find what I'm looking for, plus my lengths are always odd...and I'm just to frugal to pay someone.

This should be fun, I was waiting for MPI to jump in on the other thread and she did. Plan on just watching for a little bit.

Roo, I would like to find the 15, 000 sq. ft. house also.
February 22, 2013 at 7:37pm     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Tras, someone needs to take her meds! I'm off to get some shut eye! Talk soon.
February 22, 2013 at 7:47pm     
olldroo
Julie, I guess pulling threads is a hangover from my old dressmaking days - if a pattern wasn't cut on the straight of grain the article didn't hang properly and that is where I learned to be finicky. I have seen other people hack into stuff and it seems to work fine, but I just can't be like that, generally something always goes wrong if I try.

Yes, I've been trying different lights but hard at the moment with so much overcast, although sometimes that is better unless the flash goes off and then that stuffs everything. I will have to read my manual again, I can't find the flash off button and I am not a manual person. We will get there.

I knew Dulux wasn't over there, I think though BM is here, they have a website but I haven't seen it in the shops. Now Bunnings and Mitre 10 have pretty much taken over the hardware industry the little shops that stocked different brands just don't exist any more. Apparently Woolies is going into hardware now too in a big way, they are jealous of the profits Westfarmers are making with Bunnings. Just wish Costco and Audi would get bigger here - we sooooooo need the competition. Have a feeling Walmart may have given up on us. They all say they are waiting and watching ........... what the heck there is nothing to watch, there is Coles and there is Woolies - get in here and let the people talk - watch the people walk!!!
February 22, 2013 at 7:54pm   
trasgorshek
Goodnight Judy and Julie! I'm right behind you.

Judy I thought of you. When peaking through Anna French, did you see these? So pretty!
February 22, 2013 at 7:58pm     
trasgorshek
Never mind, too blue. Looked different after I posted them.
February 22, 2013 at 8:03pm   
olldroo
You know, I was in the paint shop the other day and people came in looking for wallpaper and all they got was blank stares. I have absolutely no idea where you would buy it here now, once we had shops that sold only that. Maybe decorators with shop fronts would have access to them but then you would pay an arm and a leg for them.

Night all, sleep well, I'll go and make some curtains.
February 22, 2013 at 8:03pm   
trasgorshek
Roo, that's no joke. They truly are expensive. What I did was check out a few books from Shermin Williams, found what I wanted then went shopping online for the exact same one. Saved quite a few dollars doing it. Again, very frugal, cheap, whatever you would like to call it. I think next time I will try to stencil. Looks like fun.
February 22, 2013 at 8:09pm   
trasgorshek
That cannot possible be a legitimate post..?? That's got to be another one of those April Fools dilemmas people keep posting. Don't you think? I have no idea anymore.
February 22, 2013 at 8:17pm   
olldroo
Tras, I'm looking at wallpaper I used as shelf liners that I bought about 40 years ago. Just picked up the nicest they had in sale bins and I know I didn't pay more than $3.50 a roll for them. Ridiculous, maybe if people stop buying the prices might go down. Frugal? Cheap? try SENSIBLE!!!

I've read a lot about stencils, they are supposed to be quite easy with a bit of practice, but I'm sure I'd find a new way to stuff it up.
February 22, 2013 at 8:21pm     
olldroo
Thanks ez, found it, what a hoot. Tras agree so I commented appropriately.
February 22, 2013 at 8:26pm   
trasgorshek
The problem is everything is going designer or to the trade, which really jacks up prices. Oh how I would love a Phillip Jeffries grasscloth upstairs but that is never going to happen. As much as I love it I could never justify it. Maybe it's just my taste. Like they say, Champaign taste on a beer budget. More like a water budget...or water fountain budget. :) LOL
February 22, 2013 at 8:27pm     
olldroo
That grasscloth sounds nice, especially when used instead of wainscotting. Hey you could start a new trend and try fake grass - give the kids something to bounce off.

Cost of water isn't that cheap either but you could always melt snow. That is why I'm making my curtains and from past experience I know I will be happier in the end. As you say too, having standard sized windows helps. A lot of the inexpensive curtains ready mades here are all blockout or thermal backed and I don't like them as they dull the room too much. I do like the idea of going thermal though as they definitely make a difference especially when we don't have double glazing here. For my lounge curtains I just paid $300 for a new double track so I can put the curtain and detachable lining on one track and a heavy thermal on the back track and only use it at night in winter or afternoon in summer. My dining room have used a light thermal as a detachable and will see how it goes. My bedroom has a double track with a heavy sheer at the front and a light thermal at the back for really hot days and winter. I don't have a sun problem with this room. The other bedrooms probably will have detachable thermals, will see how they go but I may blow the budget and get all new double tracks.
February 22, 2013 at 8:42pm   
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
HI, I have been trying to catch up with you all! I have been reading FOREVER :o)

Olldbobbi Norhern California
Olldroo Austrailia
ASV Scandinavia
Judy Cape Handyman Maryland
Creeser South Carolina
Astraea New Jersey
Ironwood Sonoma
Eztia New Mexico
Lisalovesquilts Scotlan
Olldcan Canada
Trasgorshek Kansas
Micigamemn? Michigan
J22 California
mpoulosm
Linda Chicago
Julie Thome Draperies (beautiful drapes)

What is a drongo?

How close is this

Mary "Peggy" (to those who know me) Poulos
February 22, 2013 at 9:09pm     
Ha ha ha...I think you are all asleep z-z-z-z-z-z-
February 22, 2013 at 9:10pm   
trasgorshek
Too funny! I would actually love to do wainscoting at the bottom with the grass cloth on top in a dark charcoal, but I am settling for paint instead. I have awhile before I make my up there so who knows, maybe by the year 2015 the prices will have come down.

Man, you put a lot into your drapes! I thought I was doing good by putting a liner on and an embellishment. I have one double rod in the dining room, just sheers behind the curtains. Can't wait to see yours! I have so much to learn!

Please forgive typos or grammar errors, I'm typing on my phone now... Not very easy.
February 22, 2013 at 9:13pm   
trasgorshek
Ughhhh, what did I tell ya Mary?! I should have put money on it! This is sooooo common! Unbelievable! Can't tell you how many times we've seen this happen.
February 22, 2013 at 9:20pm   
trasgorshek
By the way, man you are good! I can't believe you got all of us!
February 22, 2013 at 9:22pm   
olldroo
Nup, Roo is always last man standing - only 4.13pm here but I'm Saturday. Well, we type fast, don't know about talking sure would be interesting to all meet up one day, reckon we would have to play pass the pepperpot - no one is allowed to speak unless they are holding it. Eztia says there are 25 of us - you now make 26, but I've only got to 20.

ASV aka Antoinette is in Switzerland, HandymaM has just joined us, Julie is in Connecticut and is an ex-pat Aussie, Busylady is in Scotland, Janishill - but we haven't heard from her for a while, S.Thomas Kutch is another rooster and sometimes Dy joins us.

OK, I like to have a bit of fun with the US ladies particularly, although we all speak English it is amazing how many differences there are in the words we use and terminology - not to mention spelling. A lot of what they say goes over my head so I like to toss a bit of Aussie lingo in to stir the pot. A drongo is actually a bird but in Aussie it is basically an idiot.
February 22, 2013 at 9:26pm     
trasgorshek are you still up?
February 22, 2013 at 9:27pm   
Olldroo you are still up? This is Mary but my friends call me Peggy. I know it is confusing but I was supposed to be Margaret and go by Peggy, but instead I was born on Easter so I am Mary Margaret instead, and go by Peggy which has been super confusing. But, you can also call me Mary
February 22, 2013 at 9:31pm     
olldroo
Tras, know what you mean, I tried my iPod once and gave up.

Another thought - sensible one this time, one of our paint brands here has paints that give textures and effects, like a suede, metallic or pearl finish.
http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/effects

Surely your paint companies would do something like that. Don't know what is involved with putting them on but they look quite stunning, particularly in the darker shades.
February 22, 2013 at 9:40pm   
trasgorshek
Yea, I'm the late one. Judy stays up late sometimes but she's east coast. I'm central so it's only 11:30 but I'm getting ready to rest the head. How late do you stay on?
February 22, 2013 at 9:40pm   
olldroo
Hahahahaha - don't blow my mind like that - you are Mary, I have dubbed thee!!!
February 22, 2013 at 9:42pm   
Goodnight Olldroo and Tras
February 22, 2013 at 11:15pm   
Okay call me Mary, I feel like a Salmon trying to swim upstream. But I think you already have a Mary. You can call me Mary2 or MP or MP2, or MPI what every you dub me let me know :o)
February 22, 2013 at 11:18pm   
olldroo
Ah, ha we do have 2 mps - one mary one mendi.

Sleep well.
February 22, 2013 at 11:35pm   
Hi Peggy
Just waking up I'm in Switzerland. Great to meet you here. It has taken me 15 minutes to read this thread! Thanks for the list it really helps. My add brain cannot keep up with these conversations. Off to a computer so I can type faster.

Have a great day, afternoon and evening everyone
February 22, 2013 at 11:47pm     
I can't keep up with all of you! So I opened 2/23.
February 23, 2013 at 3:21am     
astraea
Roo – As far as drying things in a microwave, at my salon, they have a bunch of small wet towels rolled up & sitting in a small microwave, to use for your feet & hands, when you get a pedicure or manicure. It feels wonderful!!

I think people here like that you can choose to live in a smaller municipality that doesn’t have a high school, so the tax levy is a lot less. The students have a choice of attending one of the neighboring towns, and the town pays a per-student fee for them .. which winds up much less than having the overhead of an entire school. So in areas that were developed for retiree/senior housing, the school taxes are minimal .. and that’s the whole point of it. The larger the area used to calculate school costs & taxes, the more likely that you’re paying for a large student population elsewhere. As someone who never had children, I got tired of paying such high school taxes for the 23 years I lived in north Jersey, while the parents kept thinking of new programs to add .. for which we’d all have to share the cost!

We also have that short-term capital gains tax for turning around a house, and a “millionaire’s tax”, that's an extra levy on homes sold for > $1 million. So it often made sense for people to sell just under $1 million – if they were close in price – just to avoid the tax.

Mary Poulos – Great list .. I created something like that in Excel for myself .. a “cheat sheet”! MPoulsom is also from South Carolina.
February 23, 2013 at 5:27am     
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Hi Peggy
pleased to meet you. I am an Australian/American but living in CT.
February 23, 2013 at 7:02am     
HI, PEGGY. ON CAPE COD. JANISHILL IS FROM MA, ALSO. I THINK HER PROFESSIONAL LINK SAID NORWOOD, WHICH IS KINDA SOUTHWEST OF BOSTON.
February 23, 2013 at 12:16pm     
Hi everyone, Top of the Day to you! - missed morning :-/ Well, ye span the globe. I am communicating from SoCal. Don't hold it against me, I already hold it against myself Haha!
February 23, 2013 at 1:04pm   
Gary Presto
I am 50 and loving it. I refer to myself as becoming "chronologically mature." :) Anyway, my elderly parent, for whom I provide sole adult child caregiving, will be eventually moving on to senior housing--from her current home of over 60 years (a 100-year-old house). We co-own it with my cousin inlaws, whose late parents bought and lived in it with my parents (my dad passed in 2005) for all these decades, in separate and totally-self-contained units, up-and-down. We will have lots of work to do, as we all want to sell the home. I am hoping it will be appealing to a third party eager to turn it over, or perhaps one of the increasing number of intergenerational families wishing to share living spaces that, inside, are fully separate and functional as in this home's case. The bottom floor remains unoccupied but, according to our relatives who own their half, it will soon be rented out. On our end of the home, my mom has years of all types of appliances, furnishings, and design work, much of it very retro. (Each floor with 2 bedrooms, bath, house-long central corridor, kitchen, rec room, and front large combo living-dining area. Also lots of brickwork and more chandeliers than the old ABC-TV "Hollywood Palace" 60s variety show..!) It will be interesting to see what I decide to do with many of these items, and how our house situation transforms going forward. Wish me luck! ;j
March 6, 2013 at 10:56am   
Gary, good luck! And welcome! We start a new OLLD discussion everyday with the current date, hence today's discussion is OLLD 3/6. Join us!
March 6, 2013 at 12:05pm     
OLLD 2/2
Happy Groundhog Day! I think I heard that spring is...
OLLD 8/22
Good morning everyone, happy Wednesday. Hope you all...
OLLD 4/22
I did almost nothing yesterday, so today is catch-up...
OLLD 3/22
Sunny Friday .. no more snow for a couple of days!
OLLD 0/22
Dang........it was actually down right chilly this...
Help!!! What colour should we paint this garage door
We recently moved into this house and would like to...
How do you keep your belongings safe?
Jewellery, watches, passport, a secret diary - how...
Which rug should I use here?
1 2 3 or leave the existing one or none?
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
What would you do?
Trying to bring down the bold tone of red leather....