New kitchen
lanabeers
if you love granite and cant afford it what is the next best alternative?
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
Look into post form tops (laminate). They have edging and patterns that simulate granite and are less expensive.
February 22, 2013 at 10:09am   
Amy Stanley
I put granite in this current kitchen, I waited until Home Depot was running a sale, I chose a style that I loved that happened to be a budget color at the time, we got a free edge upgrade and it really wasn't that bad. Have you priced it out?-
February 22, 2013 at 10:10am   
Amy Stanley
I was going to suggest Formica they have several "granite" looking counters, we did this in another remodel, however we did a dark look and they started rubbing off. The durability and longevity of the real granite is financially savvy in the end.
February 22, 2013 at 10:12am   
lanabeers
no I haven't priced it as of yet, I have heard that you can get good deal from Home Depot if the timing is right.
February 22, 2013 at 10:19am   
Stoneshop
I would have an estimate drawn up for you for granite countertops before you worry about finding an alternative. Other than laminate, granite is one of the least expensive countertop options on the market right now--it has really come down in price over the years. Many local granite shops run specials as well, and their quality/options are going to be much greater than Home Depot. There you will be able to select your actual slab, whereas at Home Depot you generally have to choose from a small sample. Most local granite shops will do price matching as well.
February 22, 2013 at 10:36am     
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
In my area, granite is running between $32 - $42 per square foot installed with standard edging (any edges except ogees). For level 1
February 22, 2013 at 10:46am   
jazmynstrydom
In my area, I work in a Kitchen Design company, we sell granite from $74, $84, $94.. and up a square-foot with standard edging.
February 22, 2013 at 10:51am   
onthefence
There are a lot of levels of granite as well. A less exotic granite with a very plain edge is going to cost a LOT less per sf than something really unusual with a fancy edge.
February 22, 2013 at 10:54am   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but granite is very affordable here in AZ. Home Depot can be over priced as they have their mark-up on top of the fabricators, and what they don't tell you is that everything is an upgrade on top of their sq. ft. price. I'm sure if you work with a local fabricator, they will do their best to make it work within your budget. You can even just do a 3/4" (2 cm material) edge detail instead of having a piece glued on (lamination) which makes the edge thicker. That will usually start somewhere around $15-20 per sq. ft. for labor. You can barely do tile for that....

And there is always the option of pre-fabricated material that is already cut and edged from China. That is usually a very inexpensive route, but you don't have a ton of material choices.
February 22, 2013 at 11:04am   
Lizabeth
It really has come down in price. Many local fabricators offer it as low as $37 a sq foot. Make a good drawing of your kitchen layout. Mark where the walls are and where the sink and stove are and make sure they know which edges will need to be finished.

Take your drawing and shop it around to local shops besides the big box stores. As if they charge extra for undermount sinks for the cutout. Find out the installed price. Ask if you need to supply subcounters or if the granite will sit directly on your cabinets.

Be informed and knowlegeable and you will likely get a better price. Make is easy for them to supply a quote.

Ask where they will seam it. Be open minded.
February 22, 2013 at 11:08am     
Amy Stanley
My granite came seamless- I was told ahead of time with HD if I requested seamless they charged you more but the fabricators hate to seem if they don't have to and often will send solid slabs..this paid off for us! I also chose a color that doesn't have a ton of movement- creme carmel it looks exactly like the sample I chose. I think we paid about $34 a square foot with our choice of edging..I went for the rounded edge.- I shopped around and found this to be the best deal for us but definitely do your homework.
February 22, 2013 at 11:21am   
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
I think I agree with some of the others above: if you like granite...most comprable products will be the same more more. Formica of course is your cheapest. You can now snap a photo of a piece of granite, fabricate it, and get a lot of custom options ...

Acrylic countertops are probably another alternative. My sister opted for an acrylic countertop that looks more like corian...lots of color options and is cheaper than granite. Granite today is probably more competitive than 5-10 years ago. Good luck
February 22, 2013 at 11:23am   
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
on seamless granite ... not sure I follow ... on average, a granite slab is 9' x 5'. if your countertop is longer than 9' or the layout of the kitchen requires it, a seam is required (whether you want a seam or not). Fabricators should always try to eliminate seams, where possible, and I have never had a fabricator try to charge extra for it.
February 23, 2013 at 8:03am   
Stoneshop
I have never heard of a fabricator charging extra for a seam either--we certainly do not do that. Of course we always try to have the fewest seams possible. If a seam is required, we always place it at the sink. This way you only have about 2 inches in the front and 2 inches in the back of a visible seam. Also, if your sink is on the larger side, we always place a seam at the sink to strengthen the stone. Having a large hole in your granite will create a weak spot--by seaming it the stone is given strength so cracking is not a concern.
February 23, 2013 at 8:45am   
New build kitchen.New build
This is a small U-shaped open concept kitchen. Will...
Buying a new to us house and it needs a new bathroom and kitchen
Buying a new to us house and it needs a new bathroom...
Need help! Am I outdated when designing new kitchen for new home?
We are building a new home. I have chosen gold color...
Need a new paint color for family room that opens to new kitchen
We would like to keep it neutral and have it compliment...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...
How would you separate the bed from the rest of the room?
The photos are of the same area but taken from different...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...