Need help redesigning our backyard- really need two separate areas
Tesa Pickert
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, thank you in advance for any advise provided. Our dilemma is our backyard will not grow grass- it's got a lot of problems stacked up against it. We have two large dogs who like to play, the yard gets full western sun, it is on a slope, and there are tree roots exposed. Not good for trying to grow grass! I would like to section off a part of the yard and aesthetically hardscape it for the dogs, and then leave the better part of the yard with grass. My dilemma is how do you divide your backyard in half and still make it look good?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
You don't want hardscape for the dogs, I wouldn't think. You definitely need a landscape architect to come in and do it right. Your yard has "issues", and it needs professionlal help. Check here on houzz for pros in your area.

But, I think your grass area should be the highest part of your yard and your hardscape the lowest and you need a way to get from one to the other.

0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:37PM
Tesa Pickert
our initial thought is to take down the trellis, which would create less privacy, but willing to sacrifice that. Then bump out the patio to cover the flower bed. We would open up more area for the dogs to enter the patio with steps all the way around the patio. Then create a dividing line from the pavers down to the rock bed somehow. I'd like to create a feeling of an upper and lower patio, just don't know how to achieve that.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:43PM
Tesa Pickert
Thank you for your comment, I guess I shouldn't say hardscape. We are just running into the dogs tearing up what grass we do have, and then tracking mud into the house. Perennials, tall grass, and ground cover is what i'm thinking.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:49PM