Does a new microwave require a complete kitchen remodel?
suekat12
My 17 year old over-the-stove microwave just bit the dust. In looking at new ones, we've discovered that the depth of new microwaves are about 15 1/2 inches compared to my 13 1/2 which still sticks out about two inches past my cabinet front. I also heard that the bottom of the microwave should be 24 inches above the stovetop whereas I only have about a 16 inch clearance now. Has anyone else had this problem or know what to do besides completely remodeling the kitchen?
Serra Design Inc
European models tend toward the smaller sizes. Like from Miele,
February 23, 2013 at 12:04AM   
Most over-the-stove microwave manufacturers recommend a 30" clearance above the stovetop. I just went through this myself, I had only 11" !!! It made cooking on the back burners impossible. If you have only 16" I would give up the idea of the over-the-stove and try to find somewhere else to put a countertop unit. The mcrowave doesn't have to be huge, they're making much smaller units these days.

Can you post a picture of your kitchen and I'll try to help you find a good place for it?
February 23, 2013 at 2:52AM   
Is there a fan hood option for the microwave ? If not most microwaves come in all shapes and sizes, it's a matter of finding the right size vs the right price.
February 23, 2013 at 5:44AM   
Have you thought about putting a low profile vent hood in place of the microwave (as Bobbi has suggested) and modifying an upper cabinet to fit a slightly smaller microwave? It would have the benefit of opening up your cooking area a little more. It sounds pretty tight with the dimensions you've described.
Buena Vista Kitchen
Kitchen Remodel
February 23, 2013 at 5:53AM     
Want to update dining room - not sure if I should keep these pieces?
We have had my mother-in-law's dining table, 8 chairs,...
Need help decorating my outside patio
Need accent pieces or throw pillows to accentuate this...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
I don't know how to remove these
I moved in somewhere after an elderly woman and these...