What's best for kitchen sink - stainless or cast iron (white)?
arckwc
Which is more durable? What would you use with a white quartzite "marble" finished countertop?
violinist3713
I love the stainless sink. I have never had a problem with it and I think it looks great but it really depends on your style
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:01AM
Stainless steel sinks could definitely take more 'abuse' than cast iron ones.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:24PM
AMN
A quality stainless sink is more durable.
Either white or stainless would go with the countertop material -- so all that is left is style of the rest of the space. For you, does style trump durability or not?
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:26PM
I have stainless and I will not do it again. Scratches, water spots, never looks quite clean. I purchased an expensive apron style so I expect it should look better than it does.

My daughter just installed a quartz sink. I love it and that will be my choice next time.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:33PM
I'm surprised that cast iron sinks are being described as less durable. The last one I had still looked like new after 30 years of use (we donated it to the Habitat for Humanity store when we redid our kitchen, and they were thrilled at its perfect condition). We replaced it with a new cast iron sink only because we needed an undermount. I love white cast iron and have never had the least problem with its durability.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:37PM
AMN
I'm glad you've had a good experience with the cast iron sinks, feeny! Maybe there are differences in quality from one to another cuz the one's I have experienced have gotten trashed and/or chipped easily. They definitely look nice in traditional style kitchens too.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:40PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Many times space is a determining factor. Given the same interior bowl size, you typically need a larger sink cabinet to accommodate a cast iron sink over a stainless model.

Although styling of enamelled cast iron sinks has come a long way, there is a greater variety of s/s sinks...configuration, depth, shape.

Enamelled cast iron sinks are much heavier than their stainless steel counter parts and often require support beyond their undermount clip system when installed in stone tops. This additional support can interfere with faucet, water filter, soap dispenser, etc. installation clearances.

Lastly, I often put a soap dispenser on the divider between the two stainless steel sink compartments in a double sink if there is room so both sinks have convenient access to washing. My electrician uses his pneumatic punch to make the hole while on the job. You cannot do that with cast iron.

Once all of this is taken into consideration and prepared for then the quality of performance is in the eyes (and energy) of the chief cook and bottle washer!
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:08PM
Both of my cast iron sinks have been Kohler's, AMN. I don't know whether that makes a difference, but we chose to buy a second one because the first had held up so well. But maybe I'm just not a vigorous enough cook to be hard on a sink!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:11PM
Carolyn Garvie
Look at the composite granite sinks. They come in several colors and are very good looking as well as durable.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:27PM
fireclay sink vs. cast iron sink for kitchen
What is the difference and which one is better?
peggyburr
Do I have to use a stainless steel sink if my appliances are stainless steel?
I want to buy stainless steel appliances..but do not...
mileshelmich
Choosing between granite or cast iron kitchen sinks
I have alway had cast iron sinks or at least sink that...
Cindy Courter
Stainless steel kitchen sink vs porcelain?
About to do work on kitchen and debating sink element....
Caroline
Apron/Farmhouse Kitchen Sinks--what material works best?
I want an apron sink; preferably white. My husband...
72242
Front door
For comfort, energy reasons, and curb appeal we need...
kelly61413
interior trim decisions
WE are planning a new home. . . Can I do stained wood...
herthapenner
Kitchen Cabinet handles/knob placement
What is the correct distance to place the cabinet pulls...
dbshealy
Need help with what countertop to put with tile floor
We are remodeling our kitchen. I have a duraceramic...
abreloe
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie