Finishing update...help!
kanding
I am planning to paint my cabinets white to match the rest of the house. Please help me decide on hardware. I am lost on this one! Thanks!
Kat
Amy Stanley
Are you leaving the black counters? If so I think your current hardware works fine or do you hate it ? Another option would be a brushed nickel to tie in the stainless.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:59PM
Many different finishes look good on white cabinetry. But with your SS appliances and sink, I might choose either a polished chrome or brushed nickel finish. And as your cabinets have a more traditional feel to them, leaning a little toward classic (rather than very contemporary) hardware designs might be good too. But really, the most important thing is for you to get what you like most. And if you wanted to keep your dark hardware, that would be picked up by your counters. So that choice would be fine too, if you want to emphasize contrast.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 2:00PM
Carnik Residential Design
Hi Kat. Your cabinets will look great in white. From what I can tell from the pictures you current pulls look to be a rubbed oil bronze. Keeping those would add a nice contrast to the white cabinets. Not knowing the style of the rest of the house and what other hardware you have throughout makes my next suggestion based on those factors. Chrome is really back in style some simple chrome pulls would add some great shine. But if this greatly conflicts with the other hardware in your home stay with the rubbed oil bronze.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 2:04PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
More to confuse you (!!!!) you could keep the Island as it is and use dark harware there and then paint the rest of the cabinets and add brushed chrome or stainless hardware to the perimeter cabinets. Same concept will work if, instead of all white you paint the Island a color (Green, Taupe, Terra Cotta).
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:09PM
kanding
WOW. Thanks so much to all ! Yes I keeping the black granite. The current pulls are black and the hinges are from the 80s( antique brass) so I do want to replace it all.
Any thoughts on aged pewter? Too much of a passing fad?
Thank you SO MUCH!
   February 23, 2013 at 2:17PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
I just looked again....................I'm uncertain of the colors but it looks like your wall with the clock looks Pink...........? The remaining walls look Beige..........? Any way, leave the cabinets alone!!! The walls are too visually weak to hold the rest together. Find a textured paper with some color. ( terra cotta, green, beige) all combined into a small scale print or geometric. The floors and the counter tops are not talking to each other. Floor looks Rustic and counter look "Night Club". Some papers will have a little sheen to help liven it up. Take down the window curtain and put up a matchstick shade, or light Bamboo. The floor and counter are not on speaking terms. Floor=Rustic vs Black Granite=Night Club.
The only thing that really works is the cabinets but this is fixable. Bring some of the floor color up with something on the counter top Island!
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:19PM
kanding
Can't wait to pick a fun color for my island base!
   February 23, 2013 at 2:21PM
kanding
Thanks! I just moved in and got the stainless put in. The walls are called chocolate froth ( beige) . Thanks so much!
   February 23, 2013 at 2:26PM
Denice Shuty
Yes, I agree with Jeffrey - Floor=rustic, Black Granite=night club. Find a backsplash surface to help marry the two, or replace the black granite. The wood cabinets look nice, leave them alone. Your kitchen cabinets don't have to be matchy-matchy with all the other cabinets in your house.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 2:27PM
kanding, you are extremely gracious, and I commend you for taking the various off-topic advice being given in stride. Personally, I just have to say that professionals who come onto a design discussion to tell a homeowner (who has asked specifically about hardware and has already stated that she is planning on keeping her granite) that her black granite "looks like a night club"-- thereby implying that an expensive, probably unnecessary, and certainly unasked for renovation is in order--are not behaving in ways I would hope to encourage on Houzz. I apologize for being so blunt, but this kind of post that begins with a reasonable question about hardware and ends with a complete deconstruction of the poster's kitchen, is exactly why homeowners are sometimes timid about posting their design dilemmas on Houzz.

I might also note that substantial numbers of the professionally-designed white kitchens on Houzz have polished black granite, some of them with vaguely rustic tile floors. Here is just one as an example:

3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:21PM
kanding
Thank you so much! I actually have that exact pic saved in my phone! It is just about the exact tile that I have! I am happy to accept any advice given of course, but I can surely see your point. I just took all comments as helpful and from a place of experience and passion for design.
I think I have decided against keeping the black hardware. I like the pewter/stainless look , and as suggested I am looking at the polished chrome look too. Do you have a personal preference ? There are SO many options....
Thanks so much!
   February 23, 2013 at 5:13PM
kanding
Opinions on this style?
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 5:17PM
creeser
kranding, I like the 2nd and 3rd. With white cabinets, I think the second would look nice. We have the finish of the 3rd one in our house as we paired it with black iron light fixtures.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:01AM
Diane Hutchins
I like hardware that is similar to lighting finish and faucet. It pulls the look altogether. If you go with pewter, which I think would look great with the white cabinets, then replace faucet with brushed nickel.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:43AM
lovliny
While white kitchens have always been my favorite, I really like your kitchen. It's very warm and welcoming. But since you are planning to paint everything white, I would use darker hardware to tie in the countertops. Your current hardware may work with the white cabinets just as they are.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:51AM
kanding
Thanks SO MUCH to all!
   February 24, 2013 at 8:08AM
Dining room update...help!
OK so thanks to my last design dilemma responses I...
Fireplace update...help!!
I would like to update the fireplace wall...any suggestions?...
Design Dilema Update, 14mos later, I still need help finishing my room!!
Hello again!! It's been 14 months since I first posted...
New update almost finished (?) but need help for this small bathroom.
We have almost finished in this small bath, but cant...
Need help finishing kitchen update - back splash and decor.
Need help finishing kitchen update - back splash and...
Do I need a Pantry Cabinet for resale?
Purchased a 3 BR 2 B coach home condo in Naples, FL....
Closet space or bigger shower
Hi! I'm in the urgent need of some advice. I am contemplating...
Window Covering-motorized shade possible for wide window
For 3 windows 2660 that have an opening to be covered...
Need help with the center island countertop
I have emrald green (blackish green) granite countertop...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...