Need ideas for decor/furniture for Living Room
ciji2001
We recently (ok--8 months ago) re-painted our living room and got new furniture (couch, loveseat, & chair).

I would like some ideas for decorations & additional furniture such as coffee tables, end tables, lamps, bookshelves, wall decor, curtains, etc. The only items that are keepers include the following: tv, couch, loveseat, & chair. *The tv is placed above a hole that was previously cut...We had contemplated on closing that space in and hanging the tv lower, but decided against it at the time because we had no where else to put the cable box, receiver, game systems, etc. The tv is a 55", but looking at the pics...it seems much smaller. Anyways, that's all we have for now...so just go with it. All other items (coffee tables, end tables, fireplace decor, tree, rug, etc.) are temporary....so feel free to suggest items to replace them. Definitely looking for budget-friendly ideas, as we have several rooms to decorate! :) I favor warm tones...

We had also contemplated bookshelves on either side of the tv and a cousin suggested having "wall art" with family pics on the wall above the single chair....but all ideas are welcome!

Thanks!!! I'll post a few more pics with different angles. As you will be able to see, the living room and dining room are basically one open space...and we currently have a pool table in the dining room area.
ciji2001
Here's the other pics....
February 23, 2013 at 2:00pm   
collettec
ciji, just wanted to respond with some ideas. I think if you could close up that space above the fireplace it would help a great deal. It's a beautiful fireplace and with what is above it, it draws attention away from the fireplace. Given that there is a variation between the door on one side of the fireplace and the window on the other, I would try and make them as similar as possible. I would go for floor length curtains, with color and pattern, hung above the window frame on the right, hung the same height on both sides to give more of an illusion of symmetry. Can't really see the rug, and not sure of your style. Will comment on the paint color - think it's limiting as to other decor you use in the room and why it helps for people to choose the color for things like art and rugs first. It's much easier to find paint to match these items than to work to find items, such as rugs or art, that work with an existing paint color, particularly if it's not a neutral. With this paint color, I would try and find patterned drapes and art that go with it, and add a neutral color rug, perhaps something with some texture, like a sisal or shag rug. Or go with a rug with color and pattern, perhaps do drapes that are more a neutral color with a pattern and something like a gallery of black and white photos on the side wall. Or variations of the above. Good luck!
February 24, 2013 at 8:57am   
jinanandy
I would hang tv on the wall opposite of the doorway, create a sitting area with couch back towards walkway from front door. See joe the furniture fits. This way the fireplace is at your side. The tv is overpowering and dwarfs the fireplace. I would bring dark colors to the fireplace also, replace white blinds too.
February 24, 2013 at 8:59am   
ciji2001
Thank you guys so much for your ideas! This is definitely giving me something to work with!
February 24, 2013 at 12:34pm     
ciji2001
Hey everyone--I was hoping to get a little more feedback on the decor for the living room. Specifically, the walls....Thanks! Emzc, I now realize that I should have picked the decor before painting, but we really like this color, so we are trying to work with it!
February 27, 2013 at 1:22pm   
collettec
ciji, just wanted to note - I would take something that has the paint color of your walls on it, to take shopping with you to check any art against the color of the paint sample to see if it would work with it. You could do any kind of art that is graphic with black and white or even some great prints out there that are monochromatic with varying shades of gray that would look great with your fireplace. Other neutrals would also work well, perhaps something like a linen color as an example. You might want to introduce another color, perhaps something like a turquoise or a blue gray as well - as another consideration with this color, for a second accent color. Other colors would work as well. I would just bring a sample of the paint color with you while shopping for art to check to see if the colors would work well together. Good luck!
February 27, 2013 at 3:43pm     
ciji2001
Thanks emzc! I have a color palette, that has our living room/dining room color (Valspar-Safari Sun), hall bath color (Valspar-Gold Infusion--it's a green color), and kitchen color (Valspar-Rusted Earth) that I will definitely have to start carrying around with me. I'm not a big fan of the fireplace tile color, but not investing time or money to replace it, so I'd like to stay away from the black and white prints. I'm looking for items with warm tones, possibly a Tuscan theme...but not really sure. I think I would like for the theme (whatever it ends up being) to flow with the dining room and kitchen. See attached pics of kitchen. I'll attach some prints of things that I have seen...that I kind of like. Let me know what you think. Also, what do you think about bookshelves/bookcases on either side of the tv? I was thinking of an espresso color, but is that too much brown? Also, I'm looking to find a wooden entertainment stand (to go below the tv) that will match the bookshelves--if we go that route. Any thoughts or comments are welcome! P.S. Ignore table, lamps, curtains, --all decor-- that are in the kitchen--they are temporary. :)
March 4, 2013 at 1:57pm   
ciji2001
Oh, and after looking through my pics, it appears that I have not shopped enough...Plan to go looking in the next few weeks. Where exactly in the living room were you thinking of placing the wall art?
March 4, 2013 at 1:59pm     
collettec
What color are your cabinets and countertop in the kitchen?
March 4, 2013 at 4:28pm   
collettec
Just wanted to add from what I can see - I would stay mostly with neutrals. Like the wrought ironwork for perhaps the area above the loveseat, near where the plant is. Think I would do a couple of pictures with the cream background that you've shown above, or whatever would work, in terms of size, in the area between the two doors leading to the kitchen. Given the colors that you have, I think that a cream or linen color would be a good basic to have in all the rooms to tie them together. You might think of getting cream or linen color drapes. Given that you have the charcoal colored fireplace, I think that might be a good choice for whatever furniture you would be placing the television on. As to other colors, not sure of the color of your countertops - and the cabinets on the island. Are they green? Are you keeping the color? Perhaps a sage green or grayish green or the greenish color in that door in your last picture might be a consideration if they work with your other colors, including the countertops and cabinets. But definitely check the colors against each other to see what would work. Good luck!
... Just wanted to add a couple of possible choices for drapes - one a pattern and one a solid:
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/-trivoli-rod-pocket-drapery-panel/prod.jump?ppId=1b784c3&catId=cat100260226&subcatId=cat100260213&deptId=dept20000011&Nao=24&pN=2&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cameron-cotton-drape/?cm_src=AutoCatRel
March 4, 2013 at 4:51pm   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, just a thought. I'd definately rearrange the seating and relocate the TV as jinanandy suggested days ago! A mirror over the FP with a rounded top and dark frame (could even be a round mirror).
86 the coffee table and either go larger or, use one oriented to the larger sofa (a rectangle) and another smaller (this could be an upholstered table/ottoman which would also give you an opportuniry to bring in some COLOR! (Lettuce) Green will liven things up. Details in Ivory or Winter White. Please forget about store bought paintings. The theme here is casual with the Billiard table and leather sofas. So think about some huge poster near the Pool table and groups of smaller art on the other walls. When you can do it, consider installing a rustic chandalier in the LR and don't be shy about the size or height.
March 4, 2013 at 5:08pm   
3 Day Blinds
Ciji, these blinds would complement the walls perfectly. http://www.3dayblinds.com/rooms/family-room/family-room-woven-wood-shades-1

Around the TV you could do a very cool collage of framed photos. This is also a neat idea, and a very easy diy.
http://pinterest.com/pin/145522631681880047/
March 4, 2013 at 5:16pm   
ciji2001
emzc--the cabinets are just a natural/pickled finish...extremely light, which is why we went with the darker color paint. and the countertops are a light beige/natural color. We have discussed replacing the countertops, but aren't ready to do so quite yet. And the color of the cabinets is staying. Basically, this is a 5-7 yr home, so we're not looking at making too many costly investments or making it too personalized with regards to permanent fixtures. Thanks for the drapes suggestions! I love those from jcp. I'll definitely have to check these out!
March 5, 2013 at 11:57am   
ciji2001
jeffrey brooks-- we can't really rearrange our living room, because this is more of a family room...not sitting area...we have kids in/out quite often that like to play xbox 360 kinect and the wii, so we need lots of living room space. and honestly, having the tv in the center of the room allows it to be viewed from almost any angle--poking your head out of the kitchen, walking in the front door, coming from the hall/bath, any angle from playing pool, walking out of the office, etc. And....we have already moved the wiring for a sound system (that was originally placed on the wall with the single chair) and placed the surround sound to fit the current situation. The pool table is not a permanent piece though...in holding for my parents to take when they finish their house. But funny that you mention posters, because that's exactly how my mom had it set up. I envision that area slightly more formal, but have no plans to focus on it anytime soon. So, leaving the furniture in the same place in the LR, would the coffee table and ottoman idea still work? I definitely agree that we need a much bigger coffee table (although it has to be moved when the game playing begins) and I'm not too keen on the current placement of end tables...so what are you thoughts on replacing them and the placement in the room? haha....we actually just replaced an old fan, with the current one...i just recently found this site, otherwise, i so would have waited!! We do have a wrought iron chandelier in the foyer--i'll have to take pics.
March 5, 2013 at 12:10pm   
ciji2001
Thanks 3 day blinds!
March 5, 2013 at 12:11pm   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Do you have enough room to pull the sofa a few inches off the columns? Also,is there enough room to center the sofa in the room? If you can just give it a try. Use one end table at the far end ov your Love Seat. The second end table could be paired with the chair to help fill that side of your room.
For the windows I'd treat only the window in the Family Room and the one in the Billiard area. A drapery rod with a pair of panels on the larger window and rod over the single window with a pair of narrower panels. You can hang the drapes about 6" higher than the window frame. Select rods with decorative finials in wood and make them 2.5" - 3" in diameter. Skinny rods will look too anemic with the size of the rooms and furniture. Consider using a good looking wool plaid like a man's suit fabric. A light to medium toned background with the colors of your furn. plus a new color like Blue, Green, or
Gold. That new color can become your accent for pillows, artwork, and accessories.
March 5, 2013 at 12:33pm   
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
you need art desperately! check out my portfolio...lots of ideas in all price ranges. giclees cost a fraction of the originals...
March 5, 2013 at 12:38pm     
ciji2001
JB- yes, we can move the sofa...i generally have it even with the edge of the left side of the doorway that leads into the bedroom and hall bath. You probably can't tell from the pics, but the first doorway leading to the kitchen and the doorway leading to the hall bath are not exactly even with each other. Also, we have the center of the couch directly in line with the center of the television, but it may not appear that way in the pics...especially because of the positioning of the love seat with end table and chair with no end table...as you noticed. Thank you so much for the specifics regarding the drapes! I know that's an important factor and can really change the look of the room. My cousins are the creative ones, but live 2 hours away, so I need all the help I can get!
March 5, 2013 at 1:07pm   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Gotcha, just think about relcating the TV down the road. The height you have it now is a sure bet for a stiff neck and strained eyes...........I speak from experience!!!!! Lol
March 5, 2013 at 1:14pm   
ciji2001
JB- what are your thoughts for curtains/drapes over the back door? I think there was an earlier suggestion to have curtains over both....

JB & EMZC- Here's a pic of some curtains that I have found. What do you think? Would they look better in kitchen vs living room? Is one type (rod, grommet, pleated, etc.) better than another? I've liked the curtain pic for awhile, but couldn't ever decide if it was too busy???
March 5, 2013 at 1:49pm   
ciji2001
Thanks JB....it's actually not that bad though, since we have it tilted and all pieces of furniture can recline.
March 5, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Ella at Wishack.com
Love the idea of a gallery wall on that expansive back wall of yours. You could really add some pops of color by making use of different colored frames in various sizes.

If you're looking for a TV stand, what color would you be interested in? I'd suggest that you consider an oscillating TV wall mount. That way, you can move your TV into a corner but still tilt it into whatever direction you want. I'm not sure a TV stand would be the right option because your couches are large and the fireplace takes up a lot of the fourth wall.

As for the living room tables, I would suggest something lighter, perhaps with a glass top just because the couches are brown and so are the tables so it does darken the rest of the room. Not sure how big your current table is but if you give me dimensions, I could find something suitable for you. You could also consider a square ottoman coffee table, that way you still get a coffee table but it's easy to move. For end tables, pedestal tables are really in right now and they mix traditional with modern decor really well. http://www.wishack.com/Zuo_Mon_End_Table_In_Black_p/zuo-401140.htm

Still, here's a table I love and it might work with your space. http://www.wishack.com/Holly_Martin_Edingham_Cocktail_Table_Espresso_p/ham-01-040-015-6-12.htm

Have you also considered a corner floor lamp? Some funky table lamps could also add some nice texture to this space.
March 5, 2013 at 1:53pm   
ciji2001
Ella- thanks for the ideas for the living room tables. Sorry, when I discussing the tv stand, I was meaning to put the tv stand in the same place (underneath the tv) but was hoping or thinking that if it was wooden and had some design to it, then it would look distinctive and not blend as it does now.
March 5, 2013 at 2:52pm   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Arghhh! Look at some fresh ideas for the fabric. The house now has a very club-like atmosphere and with the arches and other details I'd go that direction. Wool, Leather, Velvet. Winter-Fall, twilight, warm, snug, bronze, rust, stone, pewter, blue. Comfortable, informal, relaxed, natural wicker, natural wood, Ralph Lauren Home. Plaid, check, stripe, paisley, faded earthy floral.

Entertaining for grown ups=Cut glass, bone China, Silver, Navy Blue, Military Red, figs, apples, leafey plants.

You need lamps big time. Placed on tables, floor standing, sconces too. Bright lighting from higher than 9 feet will make rooms look void, unwelcoming without the inclusion of lamp light.

Fabrics absorb sound. Drapes, rugs, pillows, wall hangings, quilts, ottomans, throws.

Good chi for your home=kids artwork framed and displayed. A rug (flat woven in an old persian or chinese theme) placed across the back of the large sofa so it's seen when you enterfrom the front door. Watercolors or pen and inks in the entry area. Repaint the door in Red, Brick, or Coral........(viggor, health, insight). Sorry but I consider all this stuff when I'm working a room!
March 5, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Ella at Wishack.com
Oh OK, that makes it a bit easier to look for. I found some low-lying TV stands but do you want something to cover up your fireplace? We have tons of options for you but I"m thinking something with an inlay would look awesome here.
This is just to give you an idea of how low you can start with. http://www.wishack.com/Leslie_Dame_Plasma_Television_Stand_p/les-tvsd-60wal.htm
March 5, 2013 at 3:43pm   
Ella at Wishack.com
Or this one has some really nice designwork on the front panels. http://www.wishack.com/Holly_Martin_Lockborne_Media_Cabinet_p/ham-63-151-055-6-12.htm
March 5, 2013 at 3:46pm   
What decor/furniture for this living room wall?
I'm having trouble deciding what would look best on...
Need ideas for decor ideas for living room
I would truly appreciate any suggestion on decor and...
Help! Narrow Living area with TV, Fireplace and Large windows
I am struggling with how to arrange this room now that...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Coffee table help!
Desperately need to get rid of thus oversized ottoman...
How can I fit a kitchen, dining and living room in a 16' x 16' space??
We are gutting an 850 sq ft hose without changing the...