Is it wrong to have different wooden flooring upstairs from downstairs?
carolmckee
The first floor is the usual mid colored oak, with black graining. I would like to put an plain, almost black wooden floor upstairs. This is because in the rooms upstairs each room has a different type of wooden furniture and the black would go best in each room. Any thoughts, or comments?
amdilley
I like it! Can you paint the oak risers of the stair the color of the wood you'd like to install upstairs? It wood tie the two levels together. I'd even paint the banister too!
February 23, 2013 at 4:40pm     
carolmckee
Thanks! I am going downstairs to give that some thought :)
February 23, 2013 at 4:43pm   
A Crew of Two
i personally like the same look throughout the house, it just works better. It doesn't look like the projects are hodgepodge after thoughts. Back in the 70s you carpeted each room a different color.....now we use the same carpet throughout, but the bottom line it is your house. Just remember resale
February 23, 2013 at 4:51pm     
jessicas_lynn_
I like it! If you like it you should keep the flooring..its your house. I think it is very creative and looks nice!
February 23, 2013 at 5:07pm     
carolmckee
I hear what you are saying kklinton - and that's my worry. However, rite now I have the same colored oatmeal carpet covering ALL the upstairs and it looks tired and dated. The dark wood would be covering ALL the upstairs - so in theory what's the difference?!? If someone didn't like my choice of carpet then they would replace it - doesn't the same go for the wood? Look forward to hearing from you.

The original oak is just too 'busy' for the upstairs furniture and the dark color will be dramatic!
February 23, 2013 at 7:07pm     
Lynn Bishop
Why not stain the rest of the floors to match the dark wood?
February 23, 2013 at 7:12pm   
watch4buses
I struggled with this as we add a second story to our old house. Impossible to match upstairs and downstairs as downstairs is gorgeous original oak floors that would be too costly to replicate but we refuse to change. We are going the same general shade upstairs. Our solution was to carpet the stairs in a neutral tone to provide a bit of a break. I think it would work with a light/dark contrast too.
February 23, 2013 at 7:18pm     
rickster88
The colours just don't blend. Why don't you leave the flooring alone and try to change the furniture upstairs? In my opinion the type and colour of wood never gets dated.
February 23, 2013 at 7:30pm   
carolmckee
Thanks for all the ideas - certainly food for thought. Keep them coming! But not changing the furniture ever.
February 23, 2013 at 7:34pm     
Aestivation Designs LLC
Painting the stairs the same color as your darker flooring would be great! Painting it as if you had a carpet runner leaving -the lighter color on both sides of your " painted color runner" would act as a boarder will tie everything.
February 23, 2013 at 7:38pm     
Dezign Studio Inc
Painting the treads dark and leaving the risers light wood will tie both the floors.
February 23, 2013 at 7:48pm     
A Crew of Two
ok, I get that it is two different types of wood....but maybe you could get the downstairs to match better with a solid gel stain? I love the dark floors upstairs. Try adding a decorative stair carpet....this may be the easiest solution.
February 24, 2013 at 4:22am   
Diane Hutchins
Is that a dog downstairs? Keep in mind if change to a dark color that dark floors show everything. I wanted brazilian cherry and after I installed it in my living room I decided to go with a lighter wood for the rest of the house. With two dogs I find I am always having a hard time keeping the darker floor clean. The dark color might also make the rooms look smaller.
February 24, 2013 at 4:36am   
Cj Jones
If you choose to stain, visit ecospaints.net for no order non-toxic stain and varnish. It won't run you out of your home while the work is being done.
February 24, 2013 at 4:38am     
carolmckee
I have seen an amazing photo of 2 completely different woods (which I will post when I figure out some 'privacy' issue on my iPad). The v dark 'bitter chocolate' color is exactly the same I have in mind, their second wood is the same mid oak color, except a different more modern graining. It's is tied together in the room by painting the risers the bitter chocolate color. There are more elements in the room that 'switch' around - including a dark ceiling in part of the room. I am really considering doing this.

I just bought some sheets. Of dark brown paper and pinned it to the risers - it looks good downstairs looking up. I think I will photoshop an image for myself - take some of the guess work out of this.

I will post that too and would be happy for your comments
February 24, 2013 at 2:11pm   
lepbarnes
I don't care for the two-tone look. If you can't/don't want to stain the others darker to blend better, and have to go with the darker upstairs (can't match the original downstairs, etc.), then I like the idea of installing a runner to help blend the two so it tones down the contrast.
February 24, 2013 at 2:54pm     
ihusada
Hello, I am currently having similar dilemma. Wondering what you end up doing? My plan is to install read oak gunstock color on 2nd floor but my stairs is red oak butterscotch. Will it match? I am thinking perhaps having gunstock color on the stair tread will help the color transition when going upstairs. Comment anyone?
April 2, 2013 at 5:32pm   
lkilgore75
I would not have different flooring, with resale I think prospective buyers might take issue.
April 2, 2013 at 5:39pm   
carolmckee
Ihusada - we put in the bitter chocolate floor upstairs - and we are delighted. We still have some remodeling to finish off and when we do we are going to paint the risers bitter chocolate (the treads are oak) to make the transition. I have seen this done and can't wait to complete our vision. Even my sceptic friends love it - and they would say if they didn't :)
April 2, 2013 at 9:26pm   
ihusada
Thanks for the comment. I was thinking about resale value as well, although I dont have plan to sell the house. So far the plan is to have gunstock color for 2nd floor, riser and threads. Wood spindles will be changed to wrought iron. Still not sure about what to do with stringers and the handrail, currently they are butterscotch color. If I change everything to gunstock color, this is totally a big project. End of the stairs meet with tile floor (main floor) Oh boy, this is tough decision :)
April 3, 2013 at 8:14am   
carolmckee
Ihusada - I have attached a photo I found on Houzz. Hope this give I confidence :)
April 3, 2013 at 6:23pm   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Yes but that is a modern minimalist house so it looks purposeful and architectural. This would not be the same for this house. It just ends up looking like a upgrade on one floor.
April 3, 2013 at 6:25pm   
ihusada
White stringers I think will be okay, then I'll see how it looks before deciding what to do with handrail. Can't wait to start this project. We plan to do this next month. In the mean time we keep looking/searching for ideas.
April 4, 2013 at 10:10am   
carolmckee
Ihusada - when all the work has been completed I will post some photographs - then people can see for them selves how successful or not in their opinion our choices worked out. Perhaps you could do the same - because modernizing and upgrading with 2 woods seems a common dilemma
April 4, 2013 at 11:07am   
ihusada
Carolmckee, i look forward to see the picture.
April 8, 2013 at 5:43pm   
Bathroom disaster
To me, this is a discombobulated mess. (Glass shower...
I need help with my kitchen!
I need to paint my kitchen, new back splash, do something...
HOW to UPDATE and give COTTAGE FEEL?
We are considering purchasing this home. It is in a...
glass block
How to install glass block
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...