HELP - I need bathroom lighting advice!
amdilley
My husband and I are renovating our upstairs bathroom - making it larger - we weren't expecting 4 kids in 3 years. The wall where the bath cabinets and drawers will be installed measures 104-3/4". There will be an approx. 1" filler + 12" drawer base + 30" sink base + 18" drawer base + 30" sink base + 12" drawer base + 1" filler. Here are my dilemmas: (1) Do we install 3 or 4 can lights across the ceiling; or (2a) Do we install wall-mounted vanity lights above the sinks? If yes, (2b) do we install 3-light or 4-light vanity lights? The room is approimately 9' by 10' with the toilet, tub (sitting perpendicular to the base cabs) and linen tower on the opposite wall. The space between the 2 sinks will accomodate a 1 of my 3 daughters getting ready/doing hair/makeup. Please help!
LeMaster Architects
I often do both overhead lights and wall sconces over the mirrors. Sometimes you need detail lighting at the vanity but sometimes you just need ambient light. For a bathroom that size you probably need 4 can lights. Maybe not in a line but more in a square, evenly spaced in the ceiling. You can put some linear light fixtures over the mirror, maybe one over each sink area.
February 25, 2013 at 7:56PM     
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with LeMaster Architects. You need sconce height lighting to do your make-up well. Over head lights make you look older and accentuates bags and wrinkles.
February 25, 2013 at 8:07PM   
Overland Remodeling & Builders
I'm short on experience here - makeup-wise :) but what I have been told by many of my female clients is that when it comes to lighting in the vanity they rather have the scones lights rather than above the mirror - makeup-wise.

I agree with LeMaster Architects about having both - 4 can lights AND lights above/next to the mirror.

3 or 4 lights depends on the size of the mirrors - if they are wide and too close to each other go with 3 and if the are rather narrow with enough space between them go with 4.

Either way have a separate switch for the vanity lights and a separate switch for the can lights.
February 25, 2013 at 8:16PM   
Mega Builders
Why not do both?
Using only ceiling cans will cast a shadow onto the mirror. Installing only vanity lights will create very uneven lighting in the room.
February 25, 2013 at 8:27PM   
amdilley
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EXPERTISE!! I have decisions to be made - wrinkles & shadows be gone!!! Are sconce light fixtures installed on the side walls at head level?
February 26, 2013 at 4:44AM   
I need help with lighting fixtures for the master bathroom
We'll be putting in a 48 in cabinet, the shower is...
I need help redesigning two small bathrooms with limited natual light.
I am looking budget friendly way to make the bathrooms...
Need advice on bathroom ventilation fans with LED light options.
All the panasonic fan/light units seem to only have...
need advice w/bathroom vanity lighting
Thinking of using 30' cabinet makers light for over...
HELP! Need advice on finishes in bathroom
I am doing a master bathroom, and we've installed polished...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Need help with lamp selection
This is our lower level walkout basement. I would...
A Big Blank Wall!
This is my living room. We just moved in this summer,...
Deconstructed Chairs: Trendy or Timeless?
Do you think this style of chair will be dated in a...
Bedroom flooring
We have an open Eichler house and recently laid tile...