Ideas for new home
jdavid10
Hi everyone! I am new to Houzz. I have spent quite some time browsing through the site. So we are in contract for our new home and are supposed to close in a few weeks. Any ideas on what to do with this family room? The furniture in the pics are not ours. These are pics from real estate site. So far we purchased a chocolate brown leather sectional and a tan single chair. I'm thinking of shades of light blue. Any ideas for rugs and curtains?thanks so much!
jdavid10
Oh and I forgot to mention, we are ripping up carpet to expose the beautiful hardwood floors
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 7:00PM
jdavid10
Please help! We are first time home buyers and would appreciate all the help we an get! Thank u!
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 7:21PM
Terri Loney
I would get rid of the window blinds first !
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 7:36PM
jdavid10
Yes those blinds are definitely going! And I was thinking bamboo shades too.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:07PM
Mandy
What I would do is just live in the space first before buying anything else. I made the mistake in my last house of buying things before we moved in and then realized (once we moved in) that a few things didn't fit or weren't the right color for the space, etc.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:07PM
standinginline
I agree with Mandy--live in the space for a bit then add--I had the same excitement for "filling up" our first home too, only to find a handful of things (especially artwork) did not fit the look or feel I wanted for the space. I now have a whole wall of artwork in our garage that isn't being used in the house--but hey, our garage looks quite colorful!

In general, it is best to post this question again after you've moved in and have pictures of your furniture in the house.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:19PM
jdavid10
Thank you for the great ideas! I can't wait to see how things "fit" I guess after that I can start to accessorize. Was trying to get the main things out the way. What color should rug and curtains be?
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:22PM
jdavid10
Yes ur right. I guess it's the excitement of a new house and wanting it to feel like home right away. We don't have much furniture but I will post what we do have when we move in. One more thing, before we move in we are having the floors done and paint. With the chocolate leather couch I was thinking a light cafe au lait type color. That will go with my neutral color palette with blue and hints of orange. Thoughts?
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:25PM
standinginline
I would expose (and refinish if needed) the floors first before painting. Not only will you avoid any mess-ups to the "new paint" job if refinishing is the plan, but will then see whether your floors venture into warm tones or cool tones...this will or should help with your paint choice (and picking the right one).
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:37PM
Denice Shuty
Listen to standinginline and Mandy. Do the floors, get the sofa iIFyou are sure of it, then wait to do everything else. You have to see how light affects your colors. I have a bedroom with a north facing window. The quality of the light in that room dramatically affected the paint colors I was considering. Blues looked gray, tan looked like taupe. I had to go into the pale golds with a red undertone to get a nice champagne color I could live with. You can't design in a vacuum and be successful, each element affects every other element. Plus if this is your first place you need to build up your knowledge base about furniture and design.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:12PM
Alicia Paley Home Interiors
It's difficult to suggest items to furnish your room without knowing your style and budget. If you're looking for nice but not too expensive items, in an inviting style, check out West Elm. It's owned by the same company that owns Pottery Barn, but their look is more eclectic, and the quality of their furniture is better. - Good luck with your first home, and congratulations!
    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:41PM
jdavid10
Thank u so much everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. Will definitely do floors first and then choose paint. Thanks for the ideas. I will be sure to post again once we move in and refinish floors.
    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 6:35AM
JMittman Designs
I like your woven wood shades idea. Then flank them with curtain panels in one of your accent colors.
    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 6:53AM
jdavid10
Thanks! I am thinking light blue curtain panels. Saw some nice ones at jcpenney
    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:22AM
Trying to find where I found this pic!
Anyone seen this pic on Houzz or any other site? Saving...
annyf
Ideas for our new home...
We are soon going to start looking for our first home....
jnorie88
Curtain ideas? New home.
Have can have beautiful hand made curtains.....
melmccann
Furniture ideas for the new home
We just bought this home and are looking for ideas...
Henry Vucetic
How to decorate a 2 story wall
I have a huge, bare 2 story wall in my great room....
mnmdurkop
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
Bathroom Reno
Just moved in and planning to renovate . Obviously...
Natalia Klentoukh
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Ugliest house on the street
Hate my veranda it's only big enough for two. Would...
sunnysideforever