Can you have your front door in the kitchen?
danawong44
Remodel forces us to put front door right at the kitchen entrance. We are trying to figure out how to extend the entry wall but there is little landing 3 to 4 ft. Then you are in our kitchen! How do I make it flow?
Alicia Paley Home Interiors
Could you please provide a picture?
February 23, 2013 at 9:22pm   
danawong44
Kitchen with front door. Left sink, front range, frig, island to be in middle somewhere.
February 24, 2013 at 11:52am   
I think most people are going to tell you this layout isn't ideal, and I agree with them. Having said that, I grew up in a house in the CA hills that had a formal front door way around the side out the house that no one ever used in the 30 years we lived there. Everyone regarded the door at the front of the house as you drove in the driveway to be our "front door". It walked straight into our kitchen. It never struck us as a problem, just not conventional.
February 24, 2013 at 11:56am   
danawong44
Thanks for the comment. We are just working with what we can. The kitchen layout is " L" shaped with the island being around 7 to 8 ft. I guess you could say it will be the "heart " of the house.
February 24, 2013 at 12:07pm   
Now that I think about it, my sister in law in the Northeast has a front door that walks straight into her farmhouse kitchen. The house is from about 1850, and that's just the way it is built. Never been a problem.
February 24, 2013 at 12:14pm   
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
What area of the country are you in. The kitchen as a front door would be different in cold weather, for all the snow, and coats and boots to come in, walk in, a storage space would be neccesary.
February 24, 2013 at 12:17pm   
danawong44
Los Angeles. We live just a few miles from the beach. So we entertain outside a lot due to the size of the house. With the final additions it will be around 2000 sq. ft.
February 24, 2013 at 12:41pm   
Dezign Studio Inc
if you could upload a layout sketch with dimensions of the area, you would get more tips.
February 24, 2013 at 12:46pm   
danawong44
Layout. I hope this helps.
February 24, 2013 at 1:25pm   
danawong44
The linen closet & water heater have been eliminated. Went with tankless water heater which we'll mount in pantry. Position of island to be determined due to front door. Any suggestions?
February 24, 2013 at 1:29pm   
Help! Narrow Living area with TV, Fireplace and Large windows
I am struggling with how to arrange this room now that...
shutter door color for front of hime
I just bought my first home. first thing I had the...