Need help with small, narrow room
ksias
Have been waiting to do something with this room. It is a hangout room for the kids. It is long and narrow, with two large doorways. Can't decide if I should go with sectional, or love seat and chairs. Then I have to decide where tv should go. The lighting is awful too. Any ideas?
A Crew of Two
Can you put the TV in the corner where the recliner is? This will free up your larger walls for furniture. I like pieces that can serve dual purposes. i love these sleep chairs from Madison Seating. You can get several and use like a sofa/loveseat. They can be used for sleepovers and gaming. Floor lamps are great because again multifunctional and can be moved easily. Get some huge floor pillows to add more seating, lounging for the kids. Roman shades to darken the room for movies and games.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:43AM
A Crew of Two
A shaggy area rug for crashing on. Movie posters on the walls. Have fun with the room. You will be the coolest mom around!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:46AM
A floor plan would be helpful for doing furniture layout options.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:53AM
ksias
Is there a website that will help me build the floor plan?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:25AM
ksias
Kklinton, I do plan on moving the tv into the corner where the recliner is. I would like seating across from it by the window. That corner always seems empty to me. love the roman shade idea. The window coverings now were left by previous homeowner.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:28AM
A Crew of Two
Smart draw is free for a week and easy to use
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:35AM
ksias
Dytecture here are the drawings from the architect. Room is 17.4 by 11.4.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:36AM
ksias
Ions problem I have is my husband is 6'5" and he likes high back, comfy furniture so he can sit with the kids age 4 and 6 to watch movies. Eventually they will use basement, but for now this is their room to watch movies, color , and read books.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:51AM
Maryl Hershelman
Get rid of the drapes...they just seem to be smashed against the moldings (I have kids; I get it)...blinds in the frames or if it's in your budget: plantation shutters (almost kid proof...almost). Most definitely a rug of some sort...if this is going to be a kids hangout and juice boxes will be spilled get an inexpensive bound remnant and replace it when needed....bonus you can change the color for a boost every now and then.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:56AM
carolins
Okay... I was thinking sectional, somewhere near the middle of the room so not in a corner, with a long, narrow table placed against the back of the sectional where the kids can do their drawing and reading.
That... or something like in the attached Crane Island Cabin photo.
I'm thinking that the tv could be where the recliner is now, but it could also go in the upright corner in your drawing above.

SantaTeresita

Crane Island Cabin

Modern Bungalow

Couple of beanbags/floor cushions & (cheap) shaggy rug, storage cabinet for toys, books (this one is from Ikea and you can add boxes that fit the holes).
Expedit Bookcase | IKEA
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:33AM
ksias
Definitely plan on adding a rug and floor cushions. Drapes are going too. With the setup of the doorways, it seems pretty hard to float any furniture in the middle of the room. I was hoping to use an ottoman for storage and as place to color for the kids. I would like it to be leather.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:54AM
carolins
Haha... yes, well... as I am Dutch, living in the Netherlands, and we use centimetres, I have to convert feet and inches. So I was thinking your room is 5 metres something by 3,5 metres. Not thát small in Dutch terms, but of course in America...everything is huge! Even husbands :-) No, seriously, of course depending on the size of the sectional, I'm thinking you could float it if you put one end against the wall. But if not... you can always put it in the corner of the room. No worries there. Still... most important thing is... will your husband find a sectional comfortable enough.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:27AM
ksias
Carolins thanks for the great advice!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:32AM
Due.
If you would decide to go with beanbags, take a look at these. Kids would definitely love them !

0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:38AM
ksias
Due - those are really cool! Great idea.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:48AM
carolins
You're very welcome, although I don't feel that my advice was thát great in this instance ;-)
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:51AM
carole
carolins,gezellig,ik ook!!!!and agree the room is plenty big enough!!!my suggestion is find a good chair for Daddy and go with the Santateresita schoollboardwall the beanbags by Due and keep the smaller sofa if you can fitt that in, the storage unit by IKEA and the placing by Kklinton,the 2 wide openings will mean you have to be clever with the storage and tv as there wont be so much wallspace,and 4 and 6 yr old have lots of toys!!!how lovely to have a seperate playroom!!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:21AM
For some reason I can't visualize where the TV is with your current setup. But here is my take on furniture placement. TV is a bit offset since the double doors are off to the side.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:27AM
Denice Shuty
A L-shaped sectional is the best solution for seating a large number of people so that everyone has good tv-viewing sight lines.Do a big rectangular coffee table - one that perhaps offers storage as well. In a small room, don't do anything with big, rolled arms - they waste precious space. There are cool upholstered cubes you could get for the kids - check out Pinterest for those.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:42AM
carolins
@ carole: wat leuk. Ik begin helemaal verslaafd te raken aan Houzz, heel gevaarlijk :-).

@ the others: I was saying to carole; how nice. I'm getting addicted to Houzz, very dangerous :-)

Sorry to be off-topic, but she and I just found out we're both from the Netherlands.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 10:55AM
carolins
Walton Sectional
Baxter Sectional
EIVOR CIRKEL Rug, Low Pile
Corduroy Floor Pillow

I'm thinking: wall to wall 'countertop' along the wall on the right side, under the window, with the tv in the lower right hand corner (I noticed that the doors are on the drawing, but not in real life?, so they won't be in the way of tv watchers).
And if Dytecture's drawing is proportionally right, you have enough space to put a sectional in stead of the sofa and chair. You'll have the wall where Dytecture put the tv free for a storage cabinet. But I'm having the same problem as D. has... I can't visualize your current set up either. I keep scrolling up to the foto's and down to the floorplan, but... no... for the same 'some reason'... :-)
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 11:48AM
ksias
You all have some great ideas. I think this picture (thanks dytecture!) brings a lot of your ideas together and I can really see it now. Mine will be a little less formal, more kid friendly, but placement will be about the same. Cubes and pillows will take place of the chaise.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:04PM
carolins
Nice! Will you be posting the 'after' too? I'd be curious to see what the finished result will look like :-) Good luck and have fun shopping.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 11:34PM
ksias
carolins - I will try. thanks to all for the help!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:06PM
ksias
So i decided on a couch and bought an are rug, but I can't figure out what size rug should be. Room is 11 x17, rug size you see here is 8 x 10. Please ignore the curtains, pictures, old tv stand, working on changing them, but I wanted together the rug size right. There will be a square leather ottoman, with some storage cubes surrounding it. Can anyone help me get the rug size right???
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 6:46PM
carolins
Looks very nice!
The rug should go under the legs of the other part of the sectional too, so you could pull it up a little so it goes under there too and it should be alright.
Or you may want a rug that just leaves an edge of the floor free all the way around.

Here's an ideabook about rug sizes, follow the link under the photo:

1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 11:49PM
ksias
Carolins I had it under the legs of the couch on all sides and it looked funny there too. I read that article before I bought the rug. It's a good guide, but I am still doing something wrong. Its just not right and I can't figure out how to fix it.
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 7:42PM
cici2216
Try the rug on the diagonal...it breaks up the eye balancing rectangular issue and once you have the leather ottoman in place, put it at opposing angles to the rug (like a diamond). That should trick your eyes and make the space feel fun too!
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 8:28PM
cici2216
Take a picture with the rug juxtaposed and see how many likes it gets? Just try it!
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 8:29PM
carolins
Do you have the rug centered in the room?
Because if you put it under both sofa ends, the rug will be off-center and that would probably be the reason why thát looks odd to you.

So, what if you center the rug in the room and move the sectional. It will be against the wall at one end and away from the other wall probably, but have a look how that works.

Otherwise, I'm thinking you need a larger rug that you can center in the room and that goes under both sides of sectional.

You could put up a new discussion with your latest photos and ask specifically about the rug. Who knows what great ideas others come up with :-)
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 12:05AM
Maryl Hershelman
You picked beige and cream as colors for a room where kids hang out and color? Looks good....for now.
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 4:52AM
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:54PM
need help with my galley kitchen and small narrow sitting room
we are doing a facelift on our kitchen. Not changing...
pierse
Need advice for my small narrow open-concept living room
We recently moved into an open-concept townhouse. It's...
Elizabeth Laporte
"Need help for very small and narrow kitchenette
To anyone out there, Please, this will be a challenge...
margaret35
Need help with small, narrow kitchen
Hey everyone! So we just moved into our first house...
erynv
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...
syechung
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Need help turning an unusable closet into a kitchen pantry
We just moved into an adorable 50s ranch and as you...
freckles1215
need helps for my plain living room!
it is kind of plain. any suggestions
James Heaps_Nelson
mommag109
Which kind of hood to get
Which kind of exhaust hood do you think would look...
alexap