Open concept room transitions
travelbug01
Because we have a long narrow lot, the open concept floor plan will have the kitchen, dining room and great room in a straight line with a wall of windows at the end with a lake view. The decorating style will be coastal/traditional. Our builder is suggesting no transitions/beams in between the rooms. Should there be something to break it up a bit?
Ironwood Builders
Ask your builder if he has read "The Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka or Christopher Alexander's book, "A Pattern Language". Seems like the builder is recommending a new "shotgun" house with no architectural details that define areas. Probably not the best plan. Is your builder also the designer or is there an architect involved?

Actually, before you get too far, you should take a look at the two books. You being informed and aware is much more powerful than what you can get and relate from here.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:45PM
travelbug01
Thank you for the book references. Our builder is handling the design. What would an architect bring to the project that a builder does not?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:28PM
Ironwood Builders
Umm, a whole lot. An architect is an artist trained in the design and construction of buildings. A builder is a businessman. Two very different worlds. Spatial relationships, positive and negative space, neutral space, flow, form, function, fit, finish, specifications, technology and artistry come from an architect. Builders look to make money based on inexpensive solutions to problems, not designing space to fit the client's lives, needs and wants. I'm struggling with a debate in the pro to pro area right now over just these things. I'd advise at least a consultation with an architect. Bring whatever plans the builder has given you thus far. Look on Houzz using the "find local pros" tab on the header. Read a few portfolios of the designs that you like. Doesn't matter if they look too expensive or over the top, everyone puts the best they've got in their portfolio. I'll continue to monitor this, let me know how it goes!
5 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:26AM
Completely agree with Ironwood Builders. Conflict of interest arise when a builder tries to incorporate design services and vice versa. Therefore having a different sets of opinions would be useful to get the most out of your home.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:00AM
travelbug01
This will be our first build. Greatly appreciate the advice and will follow up again once we've had the opportunity to put it into action. With the details you've provided, I'm starting to understand why we've been feeling like we're experiencing some gaps/disconnects in conversations with our builder. Thanks again!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:03AM
transitioning flooring in new open concept area
We have hardwood flooring throught out ranch house....
Floor transition and mixing countertops in open concept kitchen...
We're planning an open concept kitchen renovation....
need help with my lounge and dining to take shape
i need paint,accesories and furniture advice to dress...
Which kitchen layout is better?
We are now renovating our house and we can't decide...
I need help with my kitchen!
Hello. I am a new homeowner and need help with ideas...
Ideas please.... We have NO room for a table
We are re-furbishing our farm house. We plan a 33...