Front entry
Geneva Floors
Our new project house front entry is a sliding glass patio door on the side without any clear direction of how to get there.
aeharlan
Some tall potted plants like juniper or boxwood, flanking doors. Decorative house number(s) on one side of the doors.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:52PM
DMH DESIGN
If zoning code and setbacks allow, which you will need to confirm with the City or county, consider building a small portico with a gable or shed roof, that projects out from the building facade a minimum of 4', matching the width of the slab (looks like about 8'?), overlapping onto the existing main roof. I would ground the columns, which will need to be placed on a concrete footing (cut out slab, excavate to frost line, use rebar), using pressure treated lumber mechanically connected, to meet seismic codes, into the concrete. The columns, proportionately, should be at least 12" Sq., with a shadow boxed wood base a minimum of 3' high and 18" Sq. Replace the front door with a single 3' wide door unit with (2) 12-15" sidelitew. Last thing, you need to have a step made out of pressure treated material or cedar that meets maximum IRC step height and width at the new door--the existing step is illegal. the new wood step(s) should be built at the door threshold level, especially if accessibility is at issue. See examples (photo A shows gable option: door off center, and the portico here is deeper and wider than what you need; photo B shows shed option, with one column and accessible entry ramp). I hope this helps. Good luck.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:12PM
claudiann
Highlights of another color for shutters on the windows and door (long ones). Some rounded shrubs under the far window. Flower pots on the side of door that doesn't open. Short picket fence around far side and front of concrete pad. Hang basket of flowers on the front of the fence.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:52PM
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...
Any ideas on furniture layout for my long, narrow cottage living room?
My cottage living room is long & narrow – 12 by 24....
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...
Horizontal or vertical stripes?
We are moving into a new (new to us) home. The painters...
I can't seem to commit to a dining room set please help
I feel like mama and the bears... this one is too soft,...