How do you feel about a sectional couch?
Kimberly Sullivan
I'm thinking of purchasing a sectional for my living room. Does anyone have any comments, opinions or advise about sectionals?
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
We just sold our sectional because we never could get comfortable with the "cracks". Also, the pieces, being smaller, tended to move on both the HW floors on our last house and the tile floors in our current house.

The nice thing was the versatility; we ended up spreading the pieces amongst various rooms and using them as standalones. Functional, yes, but a bit odd looking to see the group scattered throughout the house...
February 24, 2013 at 7:02pm   
I personally like the kind of sectional that could double as a chaise lounger at one end. It does require more room and less flexible compared with separate sofas arrangement.

February 24, 2013 at 7:07pm   
Kimberly Sullivan
Thanks for the comment! We have hardwood floors and I was wondering if it would come apart if someone sat down too fast?!
February 24, 2013 at 7:07pm   
Judy M
I miss my old sectional, gave us much more seating, but at that time we did have it on carpeting, so it did not move. The middle section was a sleeper, so it was heavy anyway.
February 24, 2013 at 7:09pm   
Jo Cook Interior Design
Sectionals usually come with locking mechanisms under the seat frames, so they should not come apart. Sectionals are great, but the shape and size of the room is important. I would need picture and size of room to comment on whether one would work in your room. I do prefer fabric to leather if you are looking for comfort.
February 24, 2013 at 7:28pm   
Lizabeth
Yes there are clips that hold the pieces together.
February 24, 2013 at 7:31pm   
I am personally opposed in almost every case. They are way too limiting. When you have a sectional, you don't just change the furniture arrangement on the spur of the moment, you don't throw on a slipcover for a different look; you're pretty much locked in.
February 24, 2013 at 7:37pm     
Lynda
I loved my previous sectional - and will be getting another soon. The pieces were attached. In fact, when I moved, it took 2 strong people to get it apart. Pottery Barn has some super comfortable ones on sale.
February 24, 2013 at 7:43pm   
I'm with groveraxle. It totally depends on the space(s) in the home. But, mostly, sectionals are so limiting. And, and in reality sectionals do not seat more people comfortably. You're locked in to the way the sectional "works". It's a strange thing...in a really small space a sectional works, or a really large space a sectional works. So, most of the time, a sofa(s) with chair(s) s is best option. If you have a photo of the space, it would help in the decision. :)
February 24, 2013 at 7:45pm     
hockey456
We have a soft leather sectional with a chaise on one end. Love it! and will never go back to sofa/chairs. The whole family and dog can cozily watch TV. My living room only allows for one furniture configuration so I don't mind being "locked". I would agree with those that said it is limiting with regards to changing around a room. But for lots of seating and comfort you can't beat it. Just make sure it's stylish and not one of those awful poofy things. :-)
February 24, 2013 at 10:11pm   
onthefence
I'm with groveraxle and Darzy. The only exception to this is that I've seen a sectional done in modular pieces. All sides are upholstered and you can move parts around as you please.
February 24, 2013 at 10:18pm     
onthefence...good idea. A sectional that you can "break apart"...more like a modular sofa would be a good option.
February 25, 2013 at 11:07am   
I am with the non-sectional route - (Darzy, onthefence,groveraxle).
I agree a compromise might be to have a sectional done in modular pieces, but despite best efforts, they do find away to display continental drift... and the stuff that gets lost between those cracks...
February 25, 2013 at 11:15am   
I resisted sectionals for years because I associated them with large, overstuffed La-Z-Boy style designs (what hockey, above, refers to as "those awful poofy things" LOL). But there are so many beautiful streamlined modern sectionals these days. We bought a small L-shaped one for our TV room and ADORE it. There is nothing nicer than cuddling up on the sofa with your kids (and in our case also our dogs) to watch a DVD together. Ours is built no differently than an ordinary sofa (i.e. no cracks). The two sections are held together underneath with heavy metal braces. On top it looks and functions as if it is all one piece.
February 25, 2013 at 11:18am   
Iris Furniture
A sectional is a great addition to a living room, accommodating any style desired. Our premium leather sectionals are finished on all sides, so individual pieces can be arranged however desired. Also available in any array of reclining, chaise lounge, modern low profile, or traditional seating, all pieces latch together to ensure they maintain their integrity. Color and seating can be customized to match most existing decor. Let us know if you have any further questions!
www.irisfurniture.com
February 25, 2013 at 11:48am   
Leslie Kreger
We just got our first sectional (modern, L-shaped) and I would agree with the general consensus...it is very comfortable (we can all laze around on it for tv/movie viewing) but I am now limited in my furniture arrangement (i.e..there is really no other place to put it!)

I think you have to take into account your room's size and constraints (doors/traffic flow, etc) and go with what furniture arrangement works best for your situation!

Good luck~
February 25, 2013 at 11:57am     
julie77777
Good discussion! I am in the process of deciding sectional vs. sofa/loveseat combo, and all these comments help! Thank you...
February 25, 2013 at 2:33pm   
I do love the look of the sleek sectionals with the chaise. It would be nice if you could switch the left/right of the chaise if you wanted to.
February 25, 2013 at 2:56pm   
Manon Floreat
I think the modular sofas are more versatile than the tradtional sectionals. They allow for a variety of configurations.

February 25, 2013 at 3:03pm     
agsmiles
Try LOVESAC they are all sectionals/ modular units that are not only interchangeable but washable too!
February 25, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Kathy Fang
I'm going to have to agree with those who have suggested to not get a sectional as it really is quite limiting in terms of how you would like to arrange the pieces.
February 25, 2013 at 3:34pm   
Iris Furniture
We offer the option of arranging chaise orientation on our sectional at no extra cost. Factory direct allows for most customizations to be fulfilled at no additional expense! Any further inquiries please contact sales@irisfurniture.com.
February 25, 2013 at 3:40pm   
How do u feel about a camel colored leather sectional in this design?
Breezy Brentwood is the inspiration for my design for...
What about girls how do you think they feel on this app
I think girls have a app How do you think that will...
How do you feel about granite tile countertops?
I am in the beginning stages of remodeling a kitchen...
How do you feel about Silestone?
I just got home from the design center, we are building...
Wood Floor Stain?
My house is grey, the cabinets are grey, the front...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
How high?
We have 2 shelves to hang above this small dresser....
Small kitchen with low window
I'd like to get some opinions for cabinets and countertops...
WHAT TO DO WITH OLD HARDWARE?
We updated from brass to oil-rubbed bronze during a...