Need help for my kitchen
Jessica Burger
My husband and I have recently purchased our home, and are in the process of updating. We are replacing builder grade doors and installing new white baseboard/trim, but I am stumped with the kitchen. I don't care for the oak stain on the cabinets, and am not sure if I should paint them white as well, or consider a darker stain? Or another option? Suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Barnhart Gallery
With new white baseboard and trim, then yes, I'd go with white, perhaps with a light glaze in the tone of your walls, which will help tie it back to the granite as well. Congrats on your new home.
February 24, 2013 at 9:48pm   
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
be careful with a glaze on oak... it can collect in the busy open grain & look like a zebra! Better to paint in this kitchen. I'd go with a deeper tone to tie with the counter undertone. Cafe au lait... like coffee with cream.

A richer chocolate brown could also work. your kitchen is big enough to take a dramatic tone. Oak will stain up well with a darker tone. Again, look carefully at your stone to pull out the right family of colours.

Also, have deeper side panel made for fridge area & pull the upper cabinet out to cover the black. It is over powering in the space currently

perhaps consider a bigger crown at the ceiling to augment your new painted trims
February 24, 2013 at 10:30pm     
yvesun
There is way too much tone on tone in this space. I'd paint the walls two shades lighter than what you have on the walls currently. Say Benjamin Moore's Linen White PM 28
February 24, 2013 at 10:44pm     
moenna
So much white in this kitchen, might be a little too much. I 'think' your counters are beige/brown tones? If so, why not go with something like this for the cabinets.
February 25, 2013 at 12:26am   
Jessica Burger
Thank you everyone for your feedback! I'm feeling much more confident in a decision now.
February 25, 2013 at 10:11am   
Granite Transformations
Hi Jessica,

I'd agree with painting your walls rather than attempting to stain or paint the cabinetry. Painting the walls will save you a lot of money as well. I'd say consider a dark earth tone, it will really help you cabinetry and trim to stand out. My suggestion would be a deep moss or java.

You might want to consider a new backsplash as well. Something that will stand out and give a pop to your kitchen. I think our Liberty tile would certainly do the trick. Take a look at our collection here, I think the buxy would be a great fit for your kitchen- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/liberty/

Good luck!
February 25, 2013 at 11:14am   
I vote to paint cabinets. Drabware tones of caffe au lait would contrast w counters well and be warm. Search houzz kitchens for taupe cabinets to see examples.
February 25, 2013 at 11:24am   
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
Need help for my kitchen - keep my white tile floor
Would like to replace dated wallpaper, add granite...
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
The window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
Carpet or Hardwoods
I'm redoing a basement family room. it's is fairly...
combining different styles in a very small apartment
Looking to make our small place country/shabby chic...
Drop ceiling tile material
We are replacing the drop ceiling in my basement. Is...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
looking for exterior paint matching the trees
Hi, Present it was suggested for white and grey for...