Kitchen lighting over island
darley
Dear designer friends....I need your help! Electrician is getting ready to install lights. I ordered 2 Fitzjames Currey and Co. lanterns to go over our kitchen island (each measures about 2 ft. diameter and hang 3 ft). We only have 9 foot ceilings and the island is 2 levels. My husband is 6' 5". Do you think these lanterns are too large? What is the traditional measurement of between the bottom of the lantern/light fixture and the island top? Please give me your opinion. This area is open to a keeping room....
Kathie Karsnia Interiors
Darly. I do think you should trade in those oversized lights for something more to scale of the room. I don't believe in "rules" when it comes to design. How high/low to hang your fixtures depends upon sightlines, size/scale, lighting needs,etc. We want to see that gorgeous kitchen; and the lighting should enhance rather than take away from its space. Try fixtures about 1/2 the size of what was selected.
February 25, 2013 at 9:59AM     
boothparker
36 inches from counter to bottom of light is what I read recently. Love the lanterns though! Planning on doing the same on our renovation but you appear way farther along! LOL! Looks amazing!
February 25, 2013 at 9:59AM     
julie77777
Hi darley - I am not a designer, BUT I definitely agree with Kathie. I've been looking to pendant lighting also. Love the lanterns but scale has to be appropriate. BTW, what is a "keeping room"?
February 25, 2013 at 10:04AM   
boothparker
http://www.shadesoflight.com/heritage-hanging-lantern-2-finishes.html The scale of this might work better.And they look similar in style to the ones you chose.
February 25, 2013 at 10:07AM   
Barnhart Gallery
Actually Darley, I love the scale of this. Yes, it's a bit overscaled, but it's airy enough to work anyway. I don't care for skimpy statement pieces -- I'd break the rule and let it be the star! Love your other choices here as well.
February 25, 2013 at 10:10AM     
darley
Thank you a million for all advice. After measuring and lots of pondering we found that the lantern would hang almost at eye level when sitting at the bar. I think we r going to look at the eufala rectangular fixture for this area and put one fitzjames in the breakfast area.
February 25, 2013 at 11:53AM   
charlottegirl
You should try these lanterns from Lantern & Scroll (www.lanternandscroll.com or find them on Facebook). I know they can customize the sizing for your exact needs they are beautiful, and a lot less expensive!
February 25, 2013 at 7:08PM   
darley
what do you think about this fixture instead?
February 25, 2013 at 7:49PM   
darley
it is 19"h and 36"long...can't tell from the picture how it hangs at the top, though.
February 25, 2013 at 7:51PM   
Interiors International, Inc.
They do seem a bit large. Light over the bar need to be above your line of sight. It gets irritating trying to look around them all the time.
February 25, 2013 at 7:56PM   
Barnhart Gallery
I don't love this one, probably because I loved the other one. It didn't come in a slightly smaller size? I'm looking back at my notes from a while ago and Horchow had something similar and my note to myself said -- can duplicate cheap -- not just price but size and color were an issue -- but of course now I can't recall what I had in mind to alter. I'll pass it along if I find it.
February 25, 2013 at 7:59PM   
Studio Dearborn
I would defintely advise going much smaller, either square or round, or a single long rectangular fixture. I think having a raised counter emphasizes the linear aspect of the island, and a more linear lighting arrangement should follow. I think the fixture you chose would look fantastic over a round breakfast table...I love the Tom Dixon fixtures for this space, because you have the dark island--just a thought.
February 25, 2013 at 8:05PM   
our new project
A new appartment, located in CHISINAU.
Table trouble
Hi all I got great advice about a year ago for our...
Colorblind decorating?
For any of you who may be colorblind, have you run...
What does your bedroom say about you?
Do the spaces we live in tell a story about who we...
marble flooring
My husband really loves marble but I have read that...