Need help adding an island to my kitchen and still have room for dinning table I
Karen Townsend Philip
The open space I have to work with is 16x16 I am going replace my counter tops and appliances
Will you be keeping the dining room set? I'd recommend removing the carpet and put the same floor material throughout the space. If you remove the wing chairs (and the ceiling fan) you could rotate the dining table and move it closer to where the wing chairs are. Install a chandelier above the dining table over there. Then, you'll have space for an island (even with stools) in the "center" of your kitchen. Pendants or recessed canned lighting above the island and near the cabinets would update the space as well.
February 25, 2013 at 12:51pm     
Agree with Darzy! I think a small island, and a much smaller dining set could work.

Darzy! Come join us over in the OLLD's!!!
February 25, 2013 at 12:54pm     
Karen Townsend Philip
Yes going to remove carpet and go with hardwood and will get a smaller table
February 25, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Karen Townsend Philip
Yes I know the lighting needs to be improved - would you try to get cabinets for bottom of island the sort of match or do island cabinets in different color
February 25, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Michelle Drenckhahn
If you are not replacing the cabinets then you should DEFINITELY go for something different. This is a great opportunity to have fun and bring some color and/or contrast into the space. You seem to have plenty of room for both the table and island from the photos I see. Go for it! You can pull it all together with the countertops and some paint.

Good Luck!
February 25, 2013 at 2:07pm     
Karen Townsend Philip
Love your ideas Darzy can't really fit table where chairs are because to the right of chairs is stairway to living room and to left hallway
February 25, 2013 at 2:19pm   
Keitha
I think the flooring should be your first priority. That will help to pull the two areas together, THEN you can worry about an island. Once the flooring is changed, rotate the table as suggested and it will serve as a break between the kitchen and adjacent area. When you get ready for an island there are terrific freestanding islands that can be purchased to add a division and interest. Happy hunting!
February 25, 2013 at 2:38pm     
How many do you need to seat on a daily basis? You could do an island with a table attached. Then, you could still have your "lounge" space.

February 25, 2013 at 2:46pm     
Hey, try this... take the leaf out of your dining table and rotate it and put it where you want your island to be. That way, you'll see how much space you'll have for a dinette type table. Also, your dining table could be turned into your island by modifying the height. A butcher block top and you have an interesting island...pretty inexpensively. :)
February 25, 2013 at 2:51pm     
Karen Townsend Philip
I don't need a lot of seating on daily basis - we are empty nesters, need space when all the kids are home and I host all the family holidays - I will take leaf out and play with table
February 25, 2013 at 3:07pm   
1njgal
Make 1 big Island and have stools at one end for when family comes for dinner. Think buffet style too.
June 1, 2014 at 3:51am   
blrussell
When you are playing with the table try it with out the arm chairs on a daily basis...try both two and two or one side chair/side.
June 1, 2014 at 6:18am   
need help with lighting dimensions....
I have a 72" farm house table. I want to hang a long...
Need help with my master bedroom!
My husband and I recently moved into our new home &...
Mid-Century ranch needs some curb appeal
Just replaced the roof on our mid-century California-style...
Large lounge room layout.
My lounge has a fire on one wall and the TV on the...
ugly stain on interior mouldings
Late 70's built house, house has woodsy cottage feel....