Painting over paneling
lilion
I posted the other day about my family room and that we were going to hang paintable wallpaper. I was just determined to use that paper, but now I realize why everyone was telling me to just paint the paneling! I just ran across the company website for the paper I bought and it says to fill the ridges, prime, AND use a heavy wallpaper liner before putting up the paintable wallpaper. That's crazy talk! I thought you could just paste it up and go.

That being said, I really don't like the look of painted paneling, with all the grooves. What we have is the cheap old 70's paneling with the uneven grooves, some wide, some narrow. (And a small section of new - but really cheap - paneling too that matches the old.)

Two questions. 1. Has anyone filled in the grooves, sanded and then painted paneling so that it looks like drywall, without the grooves? Or am I doomed to spend a fortune and many hours, putting up that wallpaper to get rid of the grooves I just mentioned?

2. One of the walls has had the grooves filled with spackle and been wallpapered. It's pretty well stuck, but a couple of corners are curling. Should I just glue the corners well and paint over it? Or can I take that down and get the wall smooth enough?

Thanks so much for any information anyone who's done this can give me! I promise to listen this time!!!
Aja Mazin
There are paintable wallpapers that require little to no prep.

Allen + Roth and Style Selections makes many styles.

Available at Loews.

Here are 2:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_314377-37364-19737_4294929280__?productId=3104177&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=40293-37364-10-007&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3220047&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:08PM
All 4 Show, LLC
I have filled the grooves with all joint compound before. Sanded then spray textured on top. The only way people would know it wasn't drywall behind, would be to knock on it!! This is a very affordable way to get the look you want...it's just time consuming and messy (especially after sanding the "mud" smooth)!! Good luck....
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:11PM
All 4 Show, LLC
Another option is to do a heavy stucco textured look! First fill the grooves then let it dry. Add with a trowel more all joint compound to the wall. Play with how heavy you want the look. If you don't like it simply trowel it off then try again before it dries. This is a great look for a tuscan or Spanish style kitchen. It's time consuming but if you have a lot of flaws on your paneling this might be the better option.... :)
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:17PM
All 4 Show, LLC
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:19PM
All 4 Show, LLC
The above kitchen was done with a heavy stucco texture on the walls....
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:20PM
lilion
Thanks! We still have a piece of the paneling we replaced. We may play with that and see what we can do before we start. I'm all about practicing. I don't know about the stucco look in the basement family room, although I love the look. The rest of the house is a very plain house and I'd rather have everything blend. But still, nice to know in case I want to try it later somewhere else.

The paintable wallpaper at Lowes is a possibility if all else fails. It's about $5 a roll more expensive, but since I don't need all the other stuff, it'll be probably the same or less.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:44PM
pds290
Just a question - is there a possibility of removing the paneling and then painting? I'vejust done this at my house and it was much less labor intense than what you are describing.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:02PM
Gretchen Maurer
I have painted a lot of paneling in my day and once it is up you really don't notice the lines, I actually like the texture of them and for a family room at will work. put up some art and or book cases and they will draw the attention away from the lines....keep it simple...paint :)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:08PM
Judy M
we have painted some paneling and wallpapered over some. (cottage type beach rentals). When painting, we just primed it and then painted it, no filling the grooves. When wallpapering, we did not fill grooves, we laid wallpaper liner (horizontally) first, then wallpapered over in usual vertical manner.

In another situation, we painted about 2/3 of the way up paneling, then added a chair and plate rail and then wallpapered (as described above) the top 1/3 of the wall.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:16PM
lilion
pds290, There's nothing under the paneling but studs and insulation. :)

The problem we have is we really don't like the grooves. Our son's room has painted paneling, so we know what it will look like. We may have to live with them worst case scenario, but we don't want to. We also want all four walls to match and, as I said, one is already covered with wallpaper and has the grooves filled in. (We know, because we tried stripping a different wall and ended up just putting a new piece of paneling.)
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:21PM
747.2fra
We had someone mud/tape over the paneling grooves because we tired of the grooves and didn't want the hassle of putting up Sheetrock, redoing all the window and door jambs due to new thickness, etc. it looks great! We did most of our house 2 years ago, no problems with wear. Good luck!
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:28PM
Aja Mazin
I helped someone use the textured, paintable wallpaper in a mobile home several years to cover the 1970's paneling that was in miserable shape.

We did not even bother to prime, yet to this day, the paper is firmly adhered and looks fantastic!
And not a hint that it is covering cheap paneling!

It was so easy that a 20 yr old girl and a 70 yr old grannie could easily do a 12 x 60' - 2 bedroom mobile home in less than 2 days!

$17. FOR 56" SQ FT is rather inexpensive for ease and durability.

Also check ebay for the paper.

I will try to post a picture.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:34PM
lilion
Aja, I agree the cost is decent if it saves us time and lasts. We got ours on sale for $12 a yard, but if we still have to buy primer and wallpaper liner and enough drywall joint compound to fill all the grooves, plus do all that work before we hang it??? That's not worth any savings.

Anyone have any thoughts on our painting over the existing wallpaper on the wall that's been papered already? It's a slick paper, if that makes a difference.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:43PM
bdennison
I also used the paintable paper. Mine was in a 150 yo home with broken horsehair plaster. That stuff is GREAT. After 18 years in the bedroom it is still staying strong! The whole purpose of using the paper is to avoid doing all that crazy prep.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:45PM
lilion
bdennison, that was my thought too! But it was the company's website that said to do all that. We're seriously going to have to think about it, but the one we have is going back to Menard's...I'm not doing all that prep.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:52PM
Aja Mazin
NO!!

No wallpaper liner, no drywall joint compound to fill all the grooves.
We just soaked it in water to wet it [activate the glue] and hung it directly over the icky paneling.

We didn't even fill in the holes.

We didn't know enough to clean the paneling and we used no primer.

And we papered the bathroom!

All these years later, and no one has painted it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:18PM
bdennison
I agree Aja. This is a very resilient product. Maybe try on one area. It doesn't take long to dry/shrink. If you have an area that you absolutely can't/won't structurally correct, this is the way to go. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:26PM
Maryl Hershelman
I've used the paper that looks like tin ceiling .... paints beautifully and doesn't peel even in a busy hall way....didn't prime or anything....that was 12 years ago
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:37PM
Aja Mazin
bdennison.

It hides a multitude of sins!!

Maryl Hershelman.,

Ahhh, yes!!!

Ceiling tile wallpaper, also used for copper backsplashes!!!!

From a REVIEW by a novice from Lpew's website

"I used this on a bathroom ceiling in an old farm house."

before painting and after:--
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:07PM
bdennison
Oh Yes! Would look lovely in a cathedral...lets not go there :-)
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:12PM
Aja Mazin
bdennison

hehe!
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:21PM
lilion
So ladies, anyone paint over existing wallpaper then? Or should I make that a separate thread? Can I put the paintable wallpaper over the paneling that was previously wallpapered or do I need to strip that off?
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:51PM
Aja Mazin
It depends on how firmly secured /affixed the existing wallpaper is.

If the wallpaper is strippable, then by all means do so.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
lilion
Will do then. It's on pretty good, but I'm sure I can get it off if need be. I really am not a fan of wallpaper after taking three layers off my dining room and kitchen a couple years ago.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
Aja Mazin
As to putting wallpaper over wallpaper,. it depends on the type style, and condition of your existing wallpaper. If it is non-coated wallpaper, then this is the only wallpaper that might guarantee success. If it's vinyl-coated wallpaper, then you must make every effort to remove the wallpaper first. The reason for this is based on the principle of adhesion..

However, even I would remove.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:19PM
Brenda Fisher
I would suggest that you Remove it, score spray with dish soap and water solution let sit and scrape. Priming and painting is an option but if it ever gets moist behind you won't know it until it falls off in large pieces, by then you will have mould issues. I would say have fun, but I hate that job too much to say that! Instead, good luck!
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:47PM
70's style formal dining room.
Thinking of making it a lounge/bar/TV room. Don't know...
dec960
POLL: Paint the Paneling? Sound off!
Another controversial topic on Houzz discussions and...
Furnish, light, decorate, and organize dark living room
We just moved into a 1979 ranch house in a small neighborhood...
urbansparrow
I live in a mobile home and have been painting over...
nikster165
what can I do with painted over paneling and tile ceiling...
tuckerhouse
Ming dynasty style dining set: tacky or design genius??!!
Designers and friends, please help! I found a dining...
Megan Lau Pozos Villarreal
Refinishing my Multi-function basement - Man cave
I am renovating my basement and am having trouble selecting...
John Irizarry
Need a new wall color
What color can we choose that will work with this existing...
Allison Smith
Stairs
I have stairs that are carpeted and is painted underneath...
tibbsatl
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...