Need help, to make my lounge room look like a resort.

Vicki MarieFebruary 25, 2013
Hi, what am i missing in the room to make it look like I am on vacation. We live the southern part of Australia and I would love a relaxed feel to the room. I feel the 3x pictures to the right hand side of the room are not large enough and the room looks uninteresting.
Any suggestions would be fantastic.
LeMaster Architects
Color! Everything looks very one note. You need some accents. Different artwork? Maybe some bright pillows?
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:34PM
Vicki Marie
Yes thanks, I totally agree it all looks very bland, what colour to accent with.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:38PM
LeMaster Architects
I think colors can be quite personal. I would suggest you find some artwork that you like and use that as inspiration.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:53PM
Kari Palomo
Well it's an absolutely beautiful room! I agree that you could pick another brighter accent color or two and use those in new pillows and ornament decorations.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:56PM
Chandani
A pattered rug in the same/similar colours to the artwork above sofa would warm up the place. Cushions in a similar colour would also help. Look for something with some texture.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:58PM
Manon Floreat
I think an area rug with some texture would be very nice for this room. I might also consider removing the items on top of the cabinet to the right of the fireplace and adding some seat cushions there instead. Lastly, you might want to relocate the treadmill. Really it's the only element of your room that just doesn't say "vacation".

Applegate Tran Interiors · More Info
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:02PM
7j DESIGN
The pictures on the walls need to have some colour to make an statement. They look lost in the space. Add some pillows with either texture, pattern or colour. Add some drapery panels from floor to ceiling to add some height and drama to the room.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:04PM
Danielle B
Try introducing a plant or two. Also add an an accent color in accessories. Because everything else is neutral, you could choose any accent colour that you like.
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:16PM
Gretchen Maurer
is there room for a long table behind the sofa? I see your small silver tiered tray, add to that....you need more personal touches or a small collection in that spot....you need items with height on the other table to fill that space between it and the art......you are almost there, the art is fine just add some more things with texture, shine and or color . a lovely pottery of color or basket on the fire place and add a colored patterned throw.......
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:21PM
A Crew of Two
I think the room is looking very pretty, it just needs some tweaking. you say a resort? A ski resort? I like the artwork to the right of the fireplace, but not sure about the one over the sofa. i would like to see some shine or shimmer. A mirror, some metals. candles, add some books for reading, etc. Layer the amenities. I think an area rug would be wonderful- something shaggy. The room needs some texture as well- think nubby fabrics, baskets- earthy.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:22PM
Vicki Marie
Thanks for all the great advice, I am trying to make the living room feel like a beach resort. I think a rug is a great idea and the room needing colour is good . I love the idea of the earthey accessories (baskets ect). I will be looking to put some nice plants in also. I have had a trouble trying to source art work to suit the room. Yes the tread mill is definitely going into the garage. I am not very good at accessorising, but know what I like, I've just got to try putting it all together so it looks like it's meant to be there
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:41PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Succulents on the coffee table and a printed throw.....the artwork to the right of the fireplace doesn't work for me. You need one larger statement piece or a series of 6 that can complete with the fireplace at some level. You could do a series of 6 of these large botanicals stacked on each other to the right of the fireplace or across the back of the sofa: http://www.hollyhunt.com/showfloorsamples.aspx?sub=accessories
Also a silk and wool rug would look luxe and pampering
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:49PM
beach resort look - add some modern art on canvas in colors of the sea (aqua / spa blue). Add some blue-green beach glass bottles to your coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:55PM
shortped
Libradesigneye and I think a lot alike :)
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:20PM
robinmikles
Terrific room! More texture and an accent color(s) that you would enjoy. My thought: if having the treadmill there motivates you to use it, then I would not move it to the garage. Homes are for us to live in. :)
    Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:59PM
carpetlady1
RUGS.!!!! Texture with some subtle color!!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Vicki Marie    May 5, 2014 at 9:48PM
najeebah1
The 3 pics may seem small because they're far out. Try moving them to a place where you notice them more.
You could also try adding more cushions of different sizes and colours to make it more relaxed and interesting, but be careful not to make it appear cluttered
    Bookmark   Thanked by Vicki Marie    July 6, 2014 at 5:06AM
Luxe Water Walls
A water wall will create a relaxing and soothing environment to help you feel that you are on vacation!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Vicki Marie    July 6, 2014 at 9:07AM
Decorative & Faux Finishes
We could see adding a smooth texture to the walls, like a Venetian plaster without a sheen. Maybe something in the greige family, less green.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Vicki Marie    July 6, 2014 at 9:40AM
Need help for lounge bar sitting arrangement and ideas
Hi houzzers, I recently got a job to help design a...
rounbi
Need to put some life into my dull lounge room
We recently moved into this new home and I have no...
Kathy McCullough
Need help with lounge room.
Hi, we have just moved into a new home and I am having...
Laura Bell
Help!!!! Need help with making my lounge/kitchen/dining area more open
Just bought a house - i've drawn up the plan to scale...
heidsvdberg
Outdoor Patio Fire - What's best? Gas or logs.
What do you think of this luxury gas fire pit? Or do...
Executive Craftsman
Help with rug placement with sectional
Just bought this sectional for den. Instead of meeting...
eniel
Floor plan advice please!
External link to image! New construction, center hall...
itrageguy
Gutter color rule of thumb???
Hello there. We have a mid century stone ranch with...
pattees