Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovinglife7

Need help with this 1960s retro bathroom.

lovinglife7
11 years ago
We are on a tight budget. Tile is in great shape, but obviously very dated. Do you think we can make this sunken tub area work, or does it 100% need to be redone?

Comments (39)

• Gretchen Maurer
    11 years ago
    awsome love it! the floor looks good too, maybe a new counter and back splash on the right part i see, a quick up date and less expensive...
  • Walter Frazier
    11 years ago
    No way. I'd do it today.
  • PRO
    Brush Park Studio
    11 years ago
    I would attempt to keep, since blue is the new color.
  • Shari Garrow Aughtman
    11 years ago
    like it but not deep enough for me
  • Rebecca Nielsen
    11 years ago
    It is pretty to look at, but doesn't look very comfortable. If you can't enjoy a nice relaxing soak then I say tear it out and get a new functional tub!
  • debmrides
    11 years ago
    Change out the light and call it good!
  • Heidi Draffin
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This is exactly what I want! Make it a shower from heaven and retile the bottom field with glass..
  • Amy Klein
    11 years ago
    If you put a hand shower in there, it would be awesome! Spray paint the chandelier black, replace the countertop and get updated faucets, hardware, etc. And buy a lot of bleach-based cleaner to clean up the tile and grout - it'll be your new best friend.
  • msmaddy67
    11 years ago
    I would also build it up to make it deeper and a better soak. Also update the vanity and possibly add shower head to soaking tub area and some sort of seating to make it multi-purpose bathing area.
  • Karen Johnson
    11 years ago
    Not exactly a tub I'd want but the color is beautiful. It needs to be redesigned.
  • PRO
    Phancy Design, Inc - Turnkey Renovations
    11 years ago
    I would absolutely keep it and simply re-tile. It's fabulous!
  • Cindy Zatorski
    11 years ago
    My gut reaction- horrible!!! After thought, it's kinda cool, but is it even comfortable to sit in? If so, ramp up the lighting, where I live a hanging light is not to code though. Go for it and make it a statement space.
  • Danielle B
    11 years ago
    If you are on a tight budget, can you actually afford to redo? I would keep the tile, I think it's funky. replace shades with modern white roller blinds that filter light instead of blocking it. Replace the chandelier with a modern fixture and change the counter for a white quartz.
  • Angela Dodson
    11 years ago
    oh I love it. I agree keep the color. I have always wanted a tiffany bathroom and this would be a killer start.. you could update it with crown moldings, a gorgeous gold leaf, or sky trompe l'oeil treatment and a new but sparkly jewelery chandelier. you could perhaps have a mason extract the inner portion of the tile design and replace with an updated stone and even match that stone to a new stone for the bottom of the tub or surround.
  • PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Not at all, it could turn out great.Just re-tile to update and take out the chandelier, not helping you on this one. For more tips follow my on my blog: "Lauren's Style Library" www.ljacobsendesign.com
  • Angela Dodson
    11 years ago
    oh the gold leaf / trompe l'oeil comment is meant for the ceiling
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    I would leave it exactly as is..This is a perfect example of retro style..The only thing i would add is a hand held shower.
    When decorating or adding anything to this room make sure you keep the same style going..I have included a few images as examples in keeping with this style..
    I love your bathroom..
  • Angela Dodson
    11 years ago
    I would reface the exterior tiled column that faces the vanity. You could eliminate the top cut outs that match the design in the bath and are currently dating the look. If you do reface them you can square them up with the matching stone mentioned before.
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    11 years ago
    I would do a stone wall and a stunning raining shower. Would change the chandelier to a recessed spot light and to finish it I would frost 3/4 of that window.
  • linderella
    11 years ago
    Is there enough room inside the "tub" to put in a free standing footed tub? They come in a variety of lengths (from 54" to 70" or more) and are about 3' feet wide. You can get them drilled out or not to accommodate the faucet. An update to cabinets and the lighting fixture should complete the look. Would love to see what end up doing.
  • angelyn1320
    11 years ago
    On a tight budget I would add frost (or some other opaque treatment) to the windows for privacy, give the tiles a powerwash or professional cleaning, add a few plants and candles. If you enjoy the tub and tile, why change it? It's your private tub. As long as you enjoy it and it's in good shape, "dated" is irrelevant unless you're selling.
  • Pamela Parker
    11 years ago
    I love the tub, and tile. I would update outer area.
  • Helen Harkless_Young
    11 years ago
    Tear it done and make a beautil spa area.
  • Amy Thompson
    11 years ago
    Take the whole bathroom out and start over! Do it the way you want it. One thing I have learned about buying houses is that if you do not like it now you won't ever like it.
  • lovinglife7
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all of your comments. Some of them give me a lot to think about! Love the shower idea, filing in the tub and putting steam shower there, adding a shower handle, frosting the window, etc. Given our budget, I think we'll keep it, update the sink area, and try and make it work for a year or two until we can afford to demo it and make it into a spa-like retreat.
  • Candy Giard
    11 years ago
    Not sure how tight your budget is but if you can afford to re-tile I would do it in something that will not become dated quickly. And I would make it a shower - adding privacy film onto the windows. Get a vanity with shelves to hold baskets. Granite or marble countertop. I like the chandelier maybe that can be moved into the bathroom. Put a waterfall shower in the ceiling. Add a glass door enclosure on shower that swings in and out and allows lots of light.. Good luck with whatever you decide - make sure it suits your needs is most important.
  • PRO
    White Lotus Feng Shui & Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Aging grout often means it's leaking and that's never a good thing. In the 60s the moisture barriers weren't all that...and in the case of deteriorating grout the seal is broken and the moisture barrier is likely broken down. I see that there's mold/mildew forming in the corners which may indicate an issue that runs deeper. More likely than not, this will be a total gut. If it were mine, I'd be wondering how much damage there is to the infrastructure...and with that in mind, I'd rip up at least a portion of it to find out. I'm going to speculate that the moisture barrier needs to be updated and maybe even some damaged framing. With that you'll have the option of creating whatever you want in that space. Steps never were a great idea in a bathroom. If you want a tub there, do a normal tub installation at grade level...sunken tubs are a thing of the past, and don't contribute to the value of the home. If you want a shower, have it built up level with the floor and do a curb-free shower with a trough drain on the back side. Lighting should be recessed and to code for shower/tub enclosures. Also, are the windows suitable for a bath/shower enclosure at grade? If the frames are wood, the answer is NO...they need to be replaced with a more suitable, non-permeable frame. While you're at it, get windows that have glazing that will darken for privacy or install windows with blinds inside the glazing. There are many options for privacy....none of which would involve materials that absorb moisture. Sadly, none of this is "shoestring" budget stuff but again, I'd be concerned about the water that may be getting to the substructures and rotting them so I don't think I'd be filling this space with water.
  • Yvonne Dixon
    11 years ago
    I would remove/change the light fixture to something round, and change the windows :)
  • camsmiles4u
    11 years ago
    Ok that window bothers me. I never appreciated the plastic curtains. I can see a privacy block glass in the area where the counter is and possibly for the window. I would re tile the seat and floor with the same or similar type or accenting design as the wall, and have them freshen up the existing walls so it all looks new. I would also change the lighting to a high hats. We went away and in the bathroom instead of a standard vanity they had a marble table top with a shelf under it.I could see something like that here also or with a different material to lower costs if your looking to keep the existing design.
  • delenaruehl
    11 years ago
    How wide is the opening for a tub?
  • danala
    11 years ago
    Tweak it but don't lose it. I think it's fantastic!
  • PRO
    Studio 8 Architecture
    11 years ago
    I don't know how much space you have, but that tub doesn't look great, and can't be very comfortable to sit in, built in alcove-tubs can look really good, or just a regular roll-top tub in the alcove e.g.
    Newport Beach Custom Home 01 · More Info

or
    Quinlan Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Studio 8 Architecture
    11 years ago
    even in a really small space:
    Tudor Revival · More Info
  • cekranjec
    11 years ago
    If you are on a tight budget, I would leave the tub and spend the $$ to replace the lighting, fixtures, and that countertop (is it formica?) with new cabinets/counters. Maybe trim work and framed mirrors, too?
  • spatric1sympaticoca
    11 years ago
    if there is no issues with water leakage ect, I would consider retrofiting it with a new tub insert, that would be beautiful and much less expensive that riping it all out!
  • Jackie Clark
    11 years ago
    build it up to be a cool walk in shower with a retro feel!!!, new counter and light fixture and you will be happy!! hopefully
  • Julie Jewell
    11 years ago
    I vote for a remodel. I have a shower/tub like this in my dads house ( which I will be moving into eventually) T he house is 30 years old. My plan, while I'm sure will be expensive, is to raise the floor and make it a regular shower.
  • pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
    10 years ago
    Love it as is. Make it safe to get in an out of though!