OLLD 2/26
February 26, 2013 in Other
Morning everyone! eztia, here's a dilemma with your name on it! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/368726/Allergical-to-barcelona-chairs-
Here's a question to ponder. Why is Chicago called the Midwest when it's really in the Northeast???
February 26, 2013 at 3:03AM   
olldroo
Do enlighten me - what is a barcelona chair??

No idea about Chicago - maybe the wind blew it off course.
February 26, 2013 at 3:18AM   
Barcelona chair: [houzz=
]

Roo, do these chairs look comfortable to you? Not to me! I think they lean too far back.
February 26, 2013 at 3:20AM   
olldroo
Very nice chairs and uber contemporary, but I would definitely have difficulty getting out of them. I would feel they were throwing me backwards into them again. I do like an armrest, otherwise I get very fidgetty.
February 26, 2013 at 3:23AM     
You are actually meant to lean back. Although designed much earlier, I always think they are best for a Mad Men actor sitting back holding their whiskey in one hand and a cigarette in the other and there they go. I actually like them - but I think they are a focal piece rather than form truly following function (unless you are a Mad Men (man))

Chicago - really enjoyed my first real visit there only two years ago!
February 26, 2013 at 3:25AM     
olldroo
I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about shopping with BH - it could be worse - but I have to admit I would love to try No. 13 myself.

After Mr. and Mrs. Fenton retired, Mrs. Fenton insisted her husband accompany her on her trips to K -Mart.

Unfortunately, Mr. Fenton was like most men--he found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out.

Equally unfortunately, Mrs. Fenton was like most women--she loved to browse. One day Mrs. Fenton received the following letter from her local K -Mart.

Dear Mrs. Fenton,

Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behaviour and may be forced to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr. Fenton are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

1. June 15: Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they weren't looking.

2 . July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. July 7: Made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, "Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away."

5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&M's on lay -by.

6. September 14: Moved a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

7. September 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department.

8. September 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. October 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. November 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. December 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the " Mission Impossible" theme.

12. December 6: In the auto department, he practiced his "Madonna look" by using different sizes of funnels.

13. December 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled "PICK ME! PICK ME!"

14. December 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a foetal position and screamed "OH NO! IT'S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!"

And last, but not least ..

15. December 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, "Hey! There's no toilet paper in here!"

Regards,
K -Mart.
February 26, 2013 at 3:28AM     
olldroo
ASV - you obviously haven't got OLLD knees.
February 26, 2013 at 3:31AM   
OMG, thank you roo! I'm laughing out loud! From your descriptions of BH I can just see him doing all these things!

#16. Irritated the security guard by waving his high school diploma under the guard's nose.
February 26, 2013 at 3:35AM     
olldroo
No he hates anything that draws attention to himself, that is why he hates shopping with me. Twice today he went into a rant because I asked employees for service.
February 26, 2013 at 3:39AM     
roo - got me peeing on the floor with that one (I may confess to having done some of those .... in my mad youth!!!)

OLLD knees - I am proud to say that after hobbling around a long time (I am a skier with bad knees), in the last two years, I bit the bullet and started doing some great exercises/training for a very bad back and it has worked wonders on my knees.

I read somewhere that a medical report recently said that if you can get from a standing to a sitting position (on the ground) without using your hands to help you and then get up again - it improves your longevity. I am now able to to that... it is all about oiling the joints...apparently!!!

I am awaiting your imaginative solutions to getting to the ground and up! (I did try throwing myself on the ground but received a stern tsk tsk from my instructor!)
February 26, 2013 at 3:39AM   
creeser
roo, those nasty lake effect winds are bad for blowing cities and states around! As for yoga, you need a class like I used to take. All women my age and older and we used lots of props. Like we could actually reach our ankles or stand on one foot without help. *L*

Good morning ladies!
February 26, 2013 at 3:55AM   
creeser
I still say you need my class. None had done it before and we all showed up in oversized t shirts and sweatpants. I've been trying to get back into it by using classes I recorded on tv. So far I've recorded about 30 different shows and watched none. Just can't understand why it's not working!
February 26, 2013 at 4:21AM     
olldroo
Oh, if anyone is thinking about coming to Sunny Sydney - DON'T. The weather forecast tonight is for rain for the next 40 DAYS!!! Have to start checking myself for mould again.
February 26, 2013 at 4:28AM     
olldroo
For all of you shovelling snow, think outside the box,
February 26, 2013 at 4:44AM     
lisalovesquilts
Hello ladies. I hope you are all well and from the laughs it would seem so. I tried a weight lifting class, and it was ok but I'm busy so I bought weights to do at home - yes they are in pristine condition under the bed!
February 26, 2013 at 4:54AM     
olldroo
Sounds like Bobbi's low mileage treadmill!!! Actually weights are apparently better to do for fat burning as they keep the body working for hours afterwards.

How have you been, we have been missing you.
February 26, 2013 at 5:02AM     
lisalovesquilts
Roo your map of Oz from the 24th is the one my husband keeps in his head - why he doesn't want to visit!
We have been very busy, painting m.i.l. s house for sale, painting ours for a change and the burst pipe! Over a week to get a plumber, fighting with landlord to hurry up. No one wanted to do it because it's a band-aid on a gaping wound but patched up for now so we don't care.

Mp sorry about your fella, I saw the pictures - his loss for sure. I had a friend who was a drama queen and she was such high maintenance that I sabotaged our friendship and I have no regrets. Not exactly the same thing but sometimes you just don't need the grief, life is hard enough.

Janishill hi, remember me from Frank Bright? I didn't realize how much trouble you had with your health. Just goes to show what a positive attitude you have! Good health really is priceless and I hope you do get to go to Oz, always fancied it myself.
It's sunny today - hurray- so we're going out! See you later ladies and gents.
February 26, 2013 at 5:35AM     
janishill
I tried weights. Just small ones to tone my flabby arms. I ended up in so much pain in my right arm it was incredible. Seems that building muscle when you have thoracic outlet symdrome. It's like carpel tunnel in the shoulder. The easiest exercise for me is standing on one foot. My electric tooth brush goes for 2 minutes so I stand on one foot for a full minute then the other. It strengthens the core muscles.

One would think (since I own a dog walking business) I would get tons of exercise. Nope. Walked so many one day I now have planters faciitus. Can only walk a couple of blocks before I am in serious pain.

UGH...it seems like I am falling apart!

ASV - I read that only old people hold onto handrails going up and down stairs. I stopped holding on and can tell a difference. I suppose that is my other 'exercise'

Darzy...how could I forget a sweetheart like you? Glad you are here. :-)
February 26, 2013 at 5:43AM     
Janis, does that say 'chewing'? I love that!
February 26, 2013 at 5:56AM   
Roo, can you look at this wood stain and tell me what you think? Third section, (water based stains), fourth color on the left appropriately called COFFEE. It's what I remember them calling English Oak back in the 80's but now English Oak is a different color, who knew!
February 26, 2013 at 6:01AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Gooooooood morning ladies.........rooster reporting for duty.

for those of you with the joint problems and bad backs.... try Tai Chi, with my condition , I have come to rely on it heavily and it does wonders. Keeps the joints moving and keeps the muscles stretched out and elongated without the impact problems........combine with low weights and high reps routines to stay toned and strengthened.

just a quick check in........have my quarterly check up this morning and have to get running.........will drop back in later...............

Hoping all have a great morning.............don't do anything I wouldn't do or approve of or at the least don't get caught.
February 26, 2013 at 6:02AM     
creeser
Roo, I do NOT like to sweat. Hot flashes are bad enough without trying to sweat on purpose! I probably ought to join one of those polar bear clubs that jump in an icy pond in the middle of winter. If I did, I'd probably melt the snow and then Al Gore would follow me claiming I was to blame for global warming.
I can't remember who, I think it was janis, posted the note about the neti pots. I wanted to say thank you! I appreciate alerts like that so I can be more cautious.

janis, if you stand on one foot and lean against the wall to keep from falling, does that count?
February 26, 2013 at 6:05AM     
creeser
roo, mailing you instructions on building an ark. 40 days and 40 nights of rain seems Biblical!
February 26, 2013 at 6:06AM     
janishill
Creeser...leaning counts! lol You can always work your way up.
February 26, 2013 at 6:19AM     
handymam
Good morning all! Came in so late yesterday to Olld that I couldn't even begin to know where to start there were so many things going on!

Thought I would jump in here today right at the start!

I am in the bad back club with the rest of you. Got my membership card when I carried the Christmas totes to the basement because I ws too impatient to wait for husband. Might try exercising one of these years. I am still researching what would be best, lol. Had a frozen shoulder year before last, and then just when it seemed to be better, I got it on the other side. That just got better recently. Guess I should start moving now while I still can!

Janis, have you tried the doctor scholls inserts? My feet used to really hurt in the moning when I got up. (Yeah, falling apart at 55...) So I stepped onto that machine and got the inserts it said my feet needed. Money back guarantee, what did I have to lose? They worked! I wear them every day.
February 26, 2013 at 6:26AM     
STK, PLEASE let us know how your quarterly check-up goes? I will worry til I hear from you!

Handyman - carrying Christmas totes to the basement - that is the sole reason I have many DIY skills. I don't have the patience to wait for someone to do things for me! So much easier and faster to do it myself!

So for now, the official word on changing the oak color in the kitchen is NO. R has spoken. I will continue to work on this, however, because I am liking the idea!
February 26, 2013 at 6:40AM     
handymam
I am with you there boobi! That and I am to too cheap to pay someone else to do what I can learn how to do! I just wish my husband would understand that other people's wives are not as handy as some of us!I do sometimes feel unappreciated, lol!
February 26, 2013 at 6:47AM     
janishill
Handy...thanks. If it were only that simple, but it seems with me everything is complicated. I have seen both a podiatrist and an orthopeadic surgeon. I have worn a foot brace nightly for a year and went to PT for 3 months. I am supposed to have inserts made when the pain stops. HA! Surgery is the last step, but I am putting it off.

Bobbi..you will wear him down in no time and those floors are gonna look great!

When AJ and I married 10 yrs. ago he was surprised I came with my own tools!
February 26, 2013 at 7:03AM     
handymam
Well janis, keep in mind that they both have agendas...If they are saying that you will eventually need inserts, I think you should try the $50 ones first. Way better than what the podiatrist charges if it doesn't end up even helping. And the inserts might ease the pain. If they don't you can return them, no $ lost. They aren't going to give your $ back on the custom ones.

I have way more tools too than my husband. It's pretty funny actually. All he has is things to change the oil in the car!
February 26, 2013 at 7:08AM     
janishill
Insurance will pay for them, so no worries. Just a matter of finding tiome to go. Perhaps if I didn't spend so much time on Houzz....
February 26, 2013 at 7:17AM     
trasgorshek
Handymam, I'm with you! I do all the work around here but hubby doesn't even change the oil. When he's home he takes it up to the shop where he knows the owner and they sit outside, smoke cigars or go to breakfast while it's taken care of for him. I roll my eyes.

Roo, love the joke again!! Too funny!
February 26, 2013 at 7:31AM     
Handymam, it's actually bobbi, not boobi, hehehe!
February 26, 2013 at 8:22AM     
Roo - do you know about St Swithins? It's come early for you it seems - crazy weather.

Ladies and gent - I have to chuckle at all our lovely gym equipment that spends time as a clotheshorse, a monster under the bed or propping up furniture (in my case). One of my problems has been a serious problem with a sacroiliac joint (8 years now). One side is totally blocked which means when I lie down to sleep - it is excruciating - if I get one nights good sleep in a month I consider myself a millionairess! But I have started doing Pilates (not the torturous equipment) since last October, and I am finding I am so much better off - also started serious swimming to strengthen legs. After having had doctors look at me as if I was crazy or complaining or whining. I just gave up and found my own solution. Seems to be paying off for the moment.

Creeser your reference to hot flashes reminds me of a story.
My husband travels to Japan a lot and he brings back some Japanese wet wipes which, when you put them on you, basically get very cold and cool down a hot flash very effectively. I get these for my Swiss friends and I title my email group "hot chicks". One of my non-PC savvy friends naively wanted to find these wipes herself, so she got onto Google and typed "Hot Chicks"!!!! You can imagine her surprise. To compound it, she then tried "Japanese Hot Chicks"!!!!!! No further comment but lots of giggles!
February 26, 2013 at 8:24AM     
They're actually not hot flashes, they're power surges!
February 26, 2013 at 8:25AM     
So....except for the ovens, I have finished spring cleaning my kitchen. I still don't have a good place to put all my spices, so I'm thinking of throwing them all in the trash and never cooking again. Good idea???

I saw this House Hunters episode once where the hunters were a Realtor and his wife. The husband/Realtor had sold the family home WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING WITH THE WIFE to see if she was interested in moving! Imagine???
February 26, 2013 at 8:34AM     
Linda
My DD is a freshman in college this year studying mechanical engineering. She called me this past weekend to complain about a group project she was working on. I don't know what they were building, but they weren't listening to any of her comments. She was trying to tell them to drill pilot holes first, but they ignored her. Eventually they came around to discovering a new way to solve their problem...they figured out how to drill pilot holes! She was so disgusted with them that I don't think she could even see the humorous side.
February 26, 2013 at 8:50AM     
mpoulsom
wow, boobi, that is incredible! (sorry, couldn't resist)...i love a good typo! HA!
February 26, 2013 at 8:51AM     
Linda! Funny! Were they men? hehehe Don't get upset you roosters!
February 26, 2013 at 8:51AM     
OH, bless you MP! How are you feeling, any better?
February 26, 2013 at 8:52AM   
Linda
I have a new project I'm considering - I need to decide whether I'm ambitious enough to tackle this one. I've been asked to consider opening my house for the local historic homes tour in September. Three or four years ago, I was asked but I wasn't brave enough then. It's a major undertaking to get a house ready for people to visit...especially since I'm not a great housekeeper anyway.
February 26, 2013 at 8:58AM     
mpoulsom
That househunter episode; are they still married? My ex-hubby traded our perfectly good vehicle for a 2 seater convertible MG without telling me, right after I found out I was pregnant! And that's when the fight started. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why we didn't last very long. ;)

I have been fairly stagnant for the past year....I need to start exercising again. Actually asked one of my girlfriends if she wanted to join the gym for a month and just get started on some machines...but she doesn't have time this month. Too too busy. I will be exercising soon enough though. Spring will be here and I can take Dali hiking with me! Plus, I guess I'll be doing all the heavy lifting again at home.
I've taken belly dancing classes and aerobic classes and I just cannot do them. If there is a mirrored wall, forget about it! I just start laughing and am a disruption for the whole class. I'm better on an eliptical or treadmill staring out at the street if at a gym.
February 26, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Linda
Chicago is in the midwest--it's attitude, not location. After you've spent time hanging around Chicagoland, then spent time in the northeast, you will understand.
February 26, 2013 at 9:05AM   
mpoulsom
I'm pretty good bob, thanks for asking! I ate more hot & sour soup last night for dinner. Went to bed fairly early. But I woke up about 1am. Fooey started barking a little bit. Don't know if that's what woke me up or not, but I think there was a ghost in my house!!!!! It was a little scary. Then I thought I was hallucenating (sp)....seriously. It was craziness. I DO think there is some sort of spirit living in that house. Not a mean one, but something! Had some crazy dreams right before that too.
Got up this morning, decided not to take an alka seltzer, but play it by ear until after I got a shower. Feel pretty good, not totally normal, but much better!
February 26, 2013 at 9:06AM     
mpoulsom
I love the city of chicago....all the architecture and the lake and that great new park area! Fantastic! and pizza! My only beef with that city are the trains. Transit system needs to run a bit later than it does in my opinion.
February 26, 2013 at 9:08AM   
Linda, do it! Hire a housekeeping team right before the tour, what a great excuse! Attitude or altitude? Is today the official typo day?

MP, glad you're feeling better. I think you'd make a great belly dancer, did you give yourself enough time? I think pushing 70 is excersize enough. I love hot n sour soup, did you save me any? Love MG's! But not when pregnant, no way!
February 26, 2013 at 9:12AM     
Linda
Midwest is an attitude - a bit like age is a number
February 26, 2013 at 9:20AM     
trasgorshek
Linda, I feel your daughters pain!...seems like daily anymore.
February 26, 2013 at 9:38AM   
creeser
ASV, Love the 'hot chicks'..*L* I did a search for something when we were building, I can't remember what now. When I got the search results I realized I needed to modify my wording. *L*
MP, tell it to go away, it is not welcome in your house! Remember, your house, your rules.
February 26, 2013 at 9:38AM     
trasgorshek
Roo, this is for you! I'll switch your rain for our snow. ;)
February 26, 2013 at 9:40AM     
creeser
Linda, a friend of mine did the Christmas tour of homes one year. That was a very limited run and she swore she'd never do it again. Talk to some others that have opened their houses to the tour you're considering and see what they say.
February 26, 2013 at 9:40AM   
trasgorshek
Linda, do they charge for the tour? What's the average number of people to tour? Do they have an idea based on past?
February 26, 2013 at 9:44AM   
lisalovesquilts
Ladies and gents I have a slightly pronounced bone in my left wrist and it aches to lean on it. I'd recently had an x-ray for something else on same wrist but the staff said it was nothing. I plan to go to the doctor but do you reckon that is just one of those things that creep up on you - I have not injured it in any way and no repetitive strain either. I just like to pre-diagnose because I never fully trust doctors (busy, uninterested.) After reading about keeping fit and promising myself to do it I am starting to worry if I don't get on with it I'll fall apart.
Being quite lazy what I'm wondering is do any of you think that you wished you'd started any exercising earlier in life? I don't want to get to a position where I regret my lack of get up and go. Any thoughts?
February 26, 2013 at 9:49AM   
Linda, my vote is no. Obvious reasons: weather, theft, etc.

Should you decide to do it, talk with the organizers and get specifics…how many people will be "guarding" your house and how much access you will allow.

Then call your insurance co. and find out your liability should an accident happen. The organization may take out some sort of 24 hr umbrella policy, but I doubt it.

I was asked to do a tour on my previous home, and, ultimately said no. It is very flattering….
February 26, 2013 at 9:53AM     
For you bobbi - this is one of my favourite colours - blue footed booby blue
February 26, 2013 at 9:55AM     
Hi Lisa - All my life I have been a sporadic fitness/sports person. Never making the mental commitment to it. It is only as I have gotten older, I realize that this is the only body we have and started taking fitness seriously in the last two years. My aching knees have improved to the point I can run - I never thought I could ever run; my back is less painful and above all, I am getting that flat stomach that I always wanted ... not totally flat but let's be honest a lot less Rubenesque than the one I have had all my life!! I used to look see women with flat stomachs on beaches and say the word beaches (but with a slight mispronunciation) to expend my envy! Grrr just plain jealous...
February 26, 2013 at 10:00AM     
michigammemom
lisalovesquilts, google ganglion cyst and see if that might fit your symptoms. They are common in women and frequently occur at the wrist joint and can cause pain.
February 26, 2013 at 10:03AM     
creeser
Lisa, I agree with MM. Ganglion cyst. I had one for years. Like a little golf ball under the skin on my wrist. Around here, they used to call them Bible cysts. You'd get one and people would get those big old family Bibles and smash it on top of it to bust it and let it drain. They may break your wrist, but hallelujah, the cyst was gone! *L* They come up for no reason in particular, but I was doing a lot of work in my garden when mine came on. Shoveling made it sore.
February 26, 2013 at 10:16AM     
mpoulsom
I have always been physically active until the last 2 years...seriously. My dad was a jock and a professional baseball player, and I was his boy! I have always naturally been a monkey. Even though I am curvy...
I started doing gymnastics in middle school and did that for years. Just doing that and keeping my body limber for a very long time helped me i think. I love to run, but when you have a healthy chest it is such a pain for running. I used to wear 1 regular bra and 2 sports bras on top of that. Talk about a joke. When I moved back here, the humidity was just too much for all that garb. I love to go hiking and it satisfies me in many ways. I get a work out and can run some if i want to, plus I get to enjoy nature! Love getting lost in the woods!!! :)
Love to dance to...but I am really out of shape and am starting to get scared. So I guess I need to start doing things like that again. I feel my body getting stiff! :(
February 26, 2013 at 10:21AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Okay.......rooooster back in the house.!!!. Doctor's exam was the usual..........poke, prod, stick and drain half my blood, test my strength, test my coordination nothing new.... coordination somewhat decreased from, strength less in the left leg.............come back in 6 months and we'll do it all over again........won't know much until we get the lab results in a couple of days. That's the key.........is the new med working in keeping my HGH levels in acceptable range or not.....

Hey... ain't nothing wrong with MG's.........I restored a Austin Heal Sprite in high school.....piece by piece.....hated selling that car when I went off to college........the new wife's was bigger and newer so it won out..........I should have kept the Austin and left her.....but you know what they say hindsight is 20/20, at least it wasn't 20 to life.

I think I'll take a nap..........I'm really really tired for some reason today and it's odd because last night was one of those better night's sleep for me........of course it is time for my monthly shot and about a week to 10 days before shot time, I experience a drastic drop in energy levels and such in spite of whatever I do.............such is life.

Will drop back in later this evening............have a good one ladies.............you too boobi.......(sorry just couldn't resist that).
February 26, 2013 at 10:44AM     
mpoulsom
hey bob, just thought of an idea for you on the floor...you can start an "OMBRE" effect! lol
You start at the corner of the kitchen furthest away from the place where the floor turns into solid wood. You apply the darker stain a little each day and oonch (my word, hope you can read it?) your way out the kitchen and into the dining area. one day R comes home and it has gradually turned darker! Maybe he won't notice the transition. But I do seriously think that will solve any problems you have with the way your kitchen looks. I think that's what it needs to tie everything together and you'll love it once and for all! :) well, until you see someone else's kitchen. lol
February 26, 2013 at 10:57AM     
STK - sleep well, that must have been a gruelling day, and sorry you had to go through that - but it is part of the investigative process. All the best
February 26, 2013 at 11:26AM   
mpoulsom
February 26, 2013 at 11:27AM     
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
OMG! I have been writing now for twenty minutes in yesterday again, and the day is already half way over in Ollds 2-26.

I'm just going to cut and paste, and catch up on all you have had to say when I am done :o)

TO BOBBI

:o) I didn't say restain the floor darker. I said a lot of other things, but not that!! And I would not here. Especially if it is bumping up to a floor next to it that is the same light color. (Given the work and the cost)
I love you all and you are so high energy you are like a freight train!! When you are all on board.
Actually JanishilI said that and it would look fabulous, I agree, with the fabrics she showed you. Perfect blues are in.

Darzy, has done a lot of home staging as have I, and I am sure probably most of you here, if not all. So we all know when we go into a home we do not have the luxury to change a lot of the permanent finishes, so we have to work with what is there, no matter what. I agree the floor would look nice stained darker color, but I think you can make this kitchen look wonderful without doing that. Darzy do you agree?

So, the way I do that, and we each have our methods, is I do the color thing, getting the chips of color and I start working them together. First, I have to reduce it to the fewest amounts of color possible. In this case the blue/gray of the floor and light oak? of the floor.

Find fabrics with those two colors. I: the color of the wood floor in a paint chip, and the color of the floor tile in a paint chip. You may or may not use the fabric, but it may have other colors that will create an expanded color palette you have not thought of, and you know you can love.

Take your two paint chips and along with your white put them in an envelope in your purse. Put them on everything you contemplate for your kitchen, including everything in your kitchen now that is not bolted down and see if they will work in your kitchen. If they don't DO NOT USE THEM.
February 26, 2013 at 11:48AM   
Janishill's Fabrics are the essence of what I am saying. The blues seem to me to a perfect idea of what to bring in and she has also addressed the gray. She also remarked take out the dark blinds. I totally agree. Go to white. Can these be sprayed white?

I must sound like the Pottery Barn lady, but the reason I use them for an example when I am staging is because I need that home to look like what these buyers are being told what a home should look like on February 26, 2013. The (Pottery Barn and ever other retailer is brainwashing the masses into what they should love right now) I just get on board with it, and you know what??? We all love being on board with what is going on right now.

Pottery Barn weaves in the textural neutrals all the time and in your case with your floor colors, which I know you think you hate.

The large Black cupboard Could Be replaced with an Armoire/ traditional Cabinet painted the deeper harmonic of your floor color. Find one that opens wide enough and it can become your pantry.

The blinds can be replaced with a linen shade with bluie gray ribbons ( pottery Barn).

I also would take the black frames down and find a mid-century contemporary piece. as needed.

I hope this is not too opinionated for everyone. But, I just have to note down my thoughts when they come to me, in case later I can not. I know I am only one opinion among all you very talented people.
February 26, 2013 at 11:51AM     
Oh By the way Ladies and Rooster. I did not win last night at the speech contest, Oh well.
February 26, 2013 at 11:59AM   
handymam
Whoops! Glad my typo is entertaining you all at BOBBi's expense!! Hahaha!
February 26, 2013 at 12:26PM     
STK - love Austin Healey's! I had a Bug-Eye Sprite once, it was great! I could drive and file my fingernails at the same time! It didn't have any brakes, tho, mild inconvenience.

Mary Peggy! My my you do love design! I will need to study everything you've said and try it out! Tomorrow is payday (Social Security) so I'll have a buck 3.98 to spend, providing groceries aren't outrageous. Finally got my utility bills down to $300/month Yea!!!

Surely someone else has a room we could all pick on???? hehehe
February 26, 2013 at 12:31PM     
No worries Handymam, I'm sure I spelled your name wrong in more than one occassion, and if I haven't, no fear, I will!
February 26, 2013 at 12:33PM     
handymam
LOL, you mean like you just did, hehehe?
February 26, 2013 at 12:35PM   
MP, an ombre effect? Seriously? Yeah, he'd NEVER notice that! You goof!!!
February 26, 2013 at 12:35PM     
Whatever do you mean? I got it right!
February 26, 2013 at 12:36PM   
handymam
Did you just go fix that? LOL!

Now why didn't I think of that?
February 26, 2013 at 12:37PM     
I will never tell!!!!!
February 26, 2013 at 12:38PM   
This is turning into a fun discussion, if anyone wants to join in: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/368726/Allergical-to-barcelona-chairs-
February 26, 2013 at 12:41PM     
handymam
Okay, neither will I then either!

Ice is now covering all of our trees like crystals. So pretty, but if it keeps up like this, it may damage the branches. With all this freezing rain going on today, I made a big pot of chili and am wasting time in my other home--here on houzz!
February 26, 2013 at 12:41PM     
mpoulsom
Well he is tired when he gets home, right??? Better start doing it now before the days get longer....he'll be coming home during daylight hours before long and he may notice! haha! Just burn candles for right now until you go to bed...tell him you are feeling romantic!
February 26, 2013 at 12:43PM     
mpoulsom
or that you've been enjoying your new coffee maker soooo much that you ve spilled some on the floor and the wood has become discolored!
February 26, 2013 at 12:46PM     
handymam
Allergical? Who is that in that thread? George Bush?
February 26, 2013 at 12:46PM     
Ha! A Bush-ism! I've invited Aggie Designs to join the ollds, hope that's ok? Let's welcome her, she's brilliant!
February 26, 2013 at 12:53PM     
allergical is a type of rash you get on your tush when you sit too long on tobacco suede. It has something to do with the nicotine.
February 26, 2013 at 12:58PM     
Ok, here's a few tidbits about my kitchen dining room: I will paint one of the blue areas dark gray to see if I like it, R's on board with this. If he insists the floor stay golden oak, I will remind him of the Revere Pewter I hate but have agreed to live with. I will change the dr chairs to a bluer fabric. The blinds stay, they're new and cannot be painted as is the large black chest which is actually two espresso cabinets that match the table and chairs. The four pictures - R took these pics of some orchids and they're beautiful in person but I've always thought they need bigger frames. I think that's it for now.
February 26, 2013 at 12:58PM   
Good one judy!
February 26, 2013 at 12:59PM     
handymam
bobbi, where are the pics?
February 26, 2013 at 1:00PM   
mp, no, J, wasn't strong enough to be your man.
February 26, 2013 at 1:00PM     
HandymaM, no pics. Hubby is going thru a rough patch at work right now and got home late last night. I have to wait til things improve before I try to push these changes thru. He hates change. We're talking about someone who still has his entire 80's wardrobe. And it still fits.
February 26, 2013 at 1:08PM     
Yes, I guess I do get a little obsessed! And, this is a good lesson for me to LIGHTEN UP! See, I am learning from you all. I have to speak on the subject and I never thought how I go about it exactly, staging, and so, I was using your kitchen. Although I did paste and save, so I can clean it up and use it for a speech to explain to someone else how they can stage their home. Ha Ha!

But, I would love to hear from you any suggestions on how you would help someone to stage their own home, where to start...
February 26, 2013 at 1:09PM     
handymam
bobbi, well at least he can still fit in those 80's clothes! Can't fit in mine!
February 26, 2013 at 1:12PM     
creeser
Mary Peggy, I used to sell real estate years ago and one of the things they taught us was to encourage the home owner to bake some cookies just before the house is shown. That yummy cookie smell brings thoughts of 'home' to the looker.
February 26, 2013 at 1:25PM     
creeser
handymam, that reminds me of a class I'm taking on finances. One of the young women in there, her husband ratted her out as being very tight with the dollar and she said she was still wearing clothes she had when she was 13. I told her after class to enjoy those clothes, that I couldn't fit a leg into anything I wore at 13. Or 18. Or 30. Or... well, you get the picture.
February 26, 2013 at 1:28PM     
Creeser, the problem with baking cookies at an open house for me is if they had chocolate, or if they were oatmeal, or just if they were cookies and hot, I would eat them all and then want to take a nap on their sofa .. Seriously though, did you ever get deathly sleepy at an open house? I agree it is nice to have a wonderful smell, and that is certainly a good one. At least twice I sat on a house that had a heavy energy. I didn't even like going through the house at the end of the day to turn the lights off.
February 26, 2013 at 1:33PM   
OMG, you won't believe this website: http://fuckyournoguchicoffeetable.tumblr.com/
February 26, 2013 at 1:34PM   
mpoulsom
creesy that's what one of my friends did..but he cooked brownies every time someone was supposed to come look at his condo. Of course he didn't mind eating the brownies later either!
February 26, 2013 at 1:37PM     
Yikes,!
February 26, 2013 at 1:39PM     
And the RIGHT brownies will get the right buyer!!!

Ok, here is what I hope will be THE LAST question re: my kitchen. If I paint all the blue to gray, will this work with the copper countertops?
February 26, 2013 at 1:39PM     
busylady1
OK, I have seen it mentioned here several times, I have to ask.. What the heck is hot and sour soup? Is it like sweet and sour sauce, or is it hot as in chilli peppers but with a sour taste?

Bobbi, I like your kitchen just the way it is, I like the white cupboards, that gorgeous shade if blue, and the copper coloured surfaces, which pick up the golden tones from the floor. The design on the floor is not fighting with anything else because there are no patterns anywhere else. I think it is very welcoming. I think I would leave it alone, or perhaps add a bit more of that nice blue in maybe a fruit bowl or something.

Exercise, for those who still can, go for it! I wish I had kept it up, but I think I have stiffened up too much to get back to it now.

Welcome to all the newbies, you will find me popping in every now and again, when I can.
February 26, 2013 at 1:42PM     
creeser
Mary Peggy, I did once and it was actually at a neighbor's house. Their house was on the pond and it was a warm day, we had the back windows open to show the view and it when it got quiet I nearly nodded off. At least I was 'relaxed' when people showed up. *L*
February 26, 2013 at 1:43PM     
creeser
bobbi, the 'right' brownies? Are you talking about the kind that give you the munchies? *L* Darn.. wish I had thought of that. Would have served them at all my showings when they walked in and I would've had a signed contract when they walked out!
February 26, 2013 at 1:45PM     
Oh, busylady, hot and sour soup is THE BEST! It's Chinese, I guess since they serve it in Chinese restaurants. Super yum!
February 26, 2013 at 1:47PM   
olldroo
Morning all, bobbi, bobbi, bobbi dying for you reply - are you loamy or acidic??? I can't stop laughing.
February 26, 2013 at 1:49PM   
loamy or acidic??? I don't get it!
February 26, 2013 at 1:51PM   
nasmijati
@Mary Peggy. Re: Home Staging.
At one time I would have agreed with the suggestion of using baking bread, garlic bread heating in the oven, and other baked goods. Now, with the rise of wheat gluten disorders in people, I would not use any wheat products or products containing wheat or gluten in a home I was trying to sell.
February 26, 2013 at 2:02PM     
janishill
Mary Peggy...my best staging tips (other than baking bread found in the frozen food section) are:

1) A new welcome mat at the main entrance

2) find pictures of the house in every season, blow them up, mat and frame and hang in the entrance or a hallway.

3) hang a fluffy white robe on a wooden hanger on the back of a bathroom door.
February 26, 2013 at 2:04PM     
Oooh, I like the fluffy white robe idea!
February 26, 2013 at 2:05PM   
janishill
EZ...you are right about the wheat. It had not occured to me. Duh!
February 26, 2013 at 2:06PM   
Staging a house...hmmm...let's see. Having recently been house hunting I would say CLEAN IT!!! Walked into this one house once with family pics on the end table. He was in full uniform, a police officer, she was blonde and pretty. But there was dust EVERYWHERE! When your house is on the market you could have people walking thru at any time and I'm pretty sure that place hadn't been dusted in weeks.

Went into one house where the wallboard had been cut off 2 ft above the floor. Obviously a flood!

Another one had at least three families living in it. Even tho we had an appt., one guy was in the shower, another guy was still in bed snoring and kids running around everywhere. The kitchen was a food mess nightmare.

Another house had base cabinets hung as wall cabinets in the kitchen. Whacked my head on one of them.

One more house had been professionally staged and cleaned. Booties at the door for house hunters. Beautiful! But across the street was a family of homies with run down cars and kids on tree swings, no lawn and nasty looks from the people who lived there. Location, location, location!
February 26, 2013 at 2:17PM     
mpoulsom
I really like the idea of the seasonal pics, janishill!

If I sell my house, I guess that means I have to get rid of the mat by the door that reads "go away"????
February 26, 2013 at 2:20PM     
MP, I have one of those mats too!

Roo! Loamy or acidic? What is that?
February 26, 2013 at 2:25PM     
Yes, I have gone Gluten Free. But I eat Gluten Free pancakes, with real maple syrup and they taste better than most anything you can have sweet. I have been able to switch to Gluten Free Baking, and I find, for the most part, can live without Gluten... I really should say I am Gluten Light. Occasionally it is just easier to eat the burger than figure out something else.
February 26, 2013 at 2:25PM     
Thanks for staging thoughts! And, Bobbi, I think your cabinets look great, I think the gray is good the blue is good , I think you just need to weave in the color or the wood floor, make it look like it is invited to the Bobbi Kitchen party . If I remember from yesterday, I think I would sneak in a couple of white and the golden floor color ,damask coffee or tea mugs, in with your white dishes.
February 26, 2013 at 2:34PM     
creeser
MP, you laugh, but I actually have this evil looking dragon thing wrapped around a sign that says "Go Away!" My mother gave it to me for my birthday one year and I parked it by the front steps.
February 26, 2013 at 2:35PM   
trasgorshek
I read somewhere to simmer cinnamon sticks, orange peal and whole cloves before a showing because candles, etc are too strong and in your face. This combo is more like actually cooking. I do it all the time, especially during the winter. We have cuties and every time my son eats one I heat up the mixture to warm up the house.
February 26, 2013 at 2:36PM     
trasgorshek
Mary, how did everything go last night? It sounds like a lot of fun.
February 26, 2013 at 2:38PM     
olldroo
Bobbi - go answer the question

February 26, 2013 at 2:41PM     
creeser
Mary Peggy, other ideas on staging. Declutter! Put away personal objects. A lot of people can't see past another person's personal decision quirks. Collections, family photo galleries, Grandma's ashes over the fireplace, taxidermy animals. Open drapes for lots of natural light. On overcast days, turn on lamps and overhead lighting. And as bobbi pointed out. Clean!
February 26, 2013 at 2:42PM     
olldroo
Bobbi - did you check the BM website to put a photo on and change your colours there before painting. I don't like the idea of grey at all, but then I don't like grey. Way too depressing for me and when you hate cooking do you really want a depressing colour in there??? You should be cheering it up if anything.
February 26, 2013 at 2:51PM     
ez, the penny floor? Yep, that's me in R's shower. We'll coat it with resin so the pennies will stay as is, but we won't get all shiny pennies to begin with. Thanks for the pic!

Roo, I didn't give you a link? I guess it was too early in the AM. Sorry! I can't forget about MP's kitchen it's becoming an obsession. However, what I have right now I've worked VERY hard to achieve and it will stay that way for a while. I have rooms that haven't even been touched yet, so they will take priority. And I'm just not in the mood for fighting with R right now!!! And actually, I've changed my Houzz name three times! I'm pretty sure Emily cringes when she opens her email and see my name!

You don't think the blue is to babyish?
February 26, 2013 at 3:10PM   
olldroo
Bobbi - I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Good thought - move away from your kitchen and get your priorities in order. I honestly can't see what you are obsessing over comparing mp's kitchen with your's. You both have white cupboards and that seems to be the focal point, yet you are talking about painting yours??? Definitely, you need time out.

Blue? Babyish? What do you call my lounge room then???

Glad you got to answer that question, I'm still laughing!!!
February 26, 2013 at 3:39PM   
Roo, I never thought you were ignoring me! Actually, I'm not thinking of painting the cabinets, just changing the blue insides to gray. But I'm over it and moving on. Loamiy or acidic SOIL!!! Glad you had a good laugh over that one, we all need a good laugh.

New question: Beige linoleum floor, can't be changed. Black and white and coral, will those four go together? Doubtful..
February 26, 2013 at 3:47PM   
olldroo
Just thinking about your kitchen too, you said you wanted a country feel - or have you changed your mind on that - blue is far more "country" to me than grey and I think the lighter timber in your floor is more country. The dark would be more contemporary. I would still have to see photos to make a proper call.

So what are you onto now? Beige lino - what shade of beige??

I do love black with beige, I think it looks elegant.

White - depends on how pale beige is and how you would use it

Coral - with a deeper beige, dramatic, with a pale beige so-so unless the coral was almost red.

Gotta get to Tarjee to get the quilt cover. Talk later.
February 26, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Actually, cottage not country! Multiple shades of beige, a weird sort of mixed up thing. Another flipper choice!
February 26, 2013 at 3:59PM   
astraea
It's 7:15 PM .. fine time for me to be signing up to get notifications of posts today! Busy all day & my eyeballs are falling out!
February 26, 2013 at 4:14PM     
janishill
Bobbi...did you see the link I posted for the wallpaper? It is $111 a roll! To expensive for my blood. If you want to change the color in the back of the cabinet you can do a couple of other things.

1) Use fabric. Cut to size with an extra 1/4 inch all around, saturate it in liquid starch and hang it. The starch will adhere to the wall like wallpaper paste.

2) Scrap book paper. It's cheap and comes in a variety of colors and patterns. Use adhesive dots or squares to hang it.

Mary Peggy, I think we all agree that decluttering and cleaning ruthlessly - especially the windows - is important. Leaving about 25% of all closets and cabinets empty is important also. A couple of things that help sell houses; having yellow flowers close to the door and having an American flag flying somewhere. One couple I know had a medium sized one on their deck. The house sold the first day it was on the market. Not saying the flag was the reason, but it added a cheerful note to their gray house. Neutralizing is important. Removing everything that is personal; family photos, books - except poetry, classics and encyclopedias (which no one has any more) DVD's and CD's (which would fall under decluttering.) It should be like a hotel room; a place where anyone feels comfy. Replace all light bulbs with brighter ones.

astraea...wondered where you were today. :-)
February 26, 2013 at 4:36PM     
astraea
Janis - I was elected president of a women's group, and was busy all day getting a bunch of administrative stuff done .
February 26, 2013 at 4:40PM     
What's for dinner? We're having chicken Alfredo, acorn squash and a salad.
February 26, 2013 at 4:43PM     
Janis, yes I did! And I thanked you for it but you probably haven't gotten that far yet. $111 is about $110 over budget!
February 26, 2013 at 4:46PM     
michigammemom
Hey olldbob, I love your white cabinets with blue interior...they are the perfect complement for your blue tile. If you were to change anything, I would consider repainting your countertops with a silver metallic to mimic the look of stainless steel.
February 26, 2013 at 5:12PM     
janishill
Dinner was turkey breast (baked whole turkey about 3 weeks ago, froze the breast for...today) brussels sprouts, rosemary potatoes, butternut squash. We are going to watch a movie and have popcorn in a few minutes.

'night all.
February 26, 2013 at 5:14PM     
Dang! I'm coming to all your houses for dinner! Makes my chicken Alfredo look lame!

Roo, front bathroom. I just want to add some coral for the spring/summer and I already have black and white fabric for the vanity skirt and curtains. I think it won't work, the floor is ugly!

MM, thanks, but I just painted them copper!

ez, you're right again, of course. I like aqua too!
February 26, 2013 at 5:27PM   
trasgorshek
Janis, agree about the American Flag. You don't really think about it, but when you look at pics of homes you are automatically drawn to the exteriors that have one flying.

Dinner: baked whole chicken with rolls, green beans, salad, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy.

Kids are staying up late again tonight, another snow day tomorrow. Finishing up bath, getting ready for movie and game.

Cheers all. Have a good one.
February 26, 2013 at 5:43PM     
nasmijati
@olldbobbi,
The first photo shows how black, white, beige, and coral can work together, with a bit of gray.
The second photo shows coral, white, and beige in a complicated pattern, with an aqua backdrop.
February 26, 2013 at 5:43PM     
Thanks, ez! You are the sweetest and you alway do the best research! I like all those pillows, the one looks like an Ikat pattern, no?
February 26, 2013 at 6:42PM     
Ironwood Builders
Whew again! I had to WORK today. Seven hours on my feet and I'm paying now. So...to chime in...I've been an active person all my life. I trashed a knee skateboarding at 18...ruined my college soccer career. At 31, during the Loma Prieta Quake, 17 miles from the epicenter, I jumped off a roof to avoid riding it to the ground...trashed that knee again. Kaiser said wait ten years and we'll go TKR (new knee!). I waited 17 years. The last four in agony...gaining weight, limited mobility. One of my guys, newly hired, thought I was just cocky, strutting all the time. One of the others pulled him aside and asked if he ever looked at my face when I "strutted". Enough said. Went back for at knee and went to the gym, prep for surgery. Rowing machines...good for the back, low impact and aerobic. I lost 20 lbs. Post surgery...in recovery, went to the gym...lost 10 more lbs. Started cardio kick boxing and lifting heavy. Lots of muscle build and stamina. Divorce...and the new girlfriend is jealous of my gym time...dump the girl, not the gym. I was strong, really strong. Then the dread disease. Still hit the gym twice a week...right up to the time to go to the hospital. Now..,I was trying to climb stairs, no handrail...puffing and blowing and weak at the knees. I still work on balance every day, still head to the ten lb weights to exercise the upper body...and walk. It will be a couple of years before I can get back to the gym. I can hardly weight(!).

Dinner tonight...prepared by my son, Connor, is pork Chili Verde with avocado and tortillas. I tell him what goes in and how...he does the rest. Thank goodness I can still do dishes!

My next project is to cover the top of a nameless arts and crafts library table with leather and deco nail the edge. I'll post before and afters for you. You can criticize all you want! I won't listen.

Being fit and strong gave my doctors the option to take me to the edge...and I walked back. The BMT nearly killed me. I'll never be the person I was before...I'll be new...and OLLD. And strong again one day.
February 26, 2013 at 7:07PM     
CP gone to FLA for 10 days…supper, left over turkey pie, a margarita and 8 M &M's. I dare anyone to beat that. :>)
February 26, 2013 at 7:26PM     
No green! Not a fan. Not looking for tropical, just bright and spring like! Yes, I've found coral towels, coral and turquoise very popular here right now. I have to think about it some more, thanks for your help!
February 27, 2013 at 1:40AM     
olldroo
Keep forgetting about you and green, my youngest doesn't like it either but drools over everything green I have here. The thing is tropical is bright and spring like and summery too. Lucky you finding the towels. I don't think I would like the turquoise with the black and beige for some reason, doesn't have enough punch. Just been through all my colour cards and the only other colour I can think that is in in towels at the moment is that mud coloured taupe. Would go with the coral, but it would make the coral do all the work and too much coral would get bitty. Really, green is the colour of spring, new leaves and all that - you really picked the wrong colour not to like.
February 27, 2013 at 2:25AM   
Well while we're on the subject I hate yellow, too!!! Dark chocolate brown was my favorite forever, I did the bathroom in it and I'm waaaaay over brown now. I want something crisp and clean and bright but not necessarily over the top with color. I like the black and white fabric I bought so I think what I'll do is get a white shower curtain, paint the walls white and add the black and white for the vanity skirt and windows curtains, then just accent with the coral. I can ignore the beige floor if you can!

Thanks roo, you're the best!

I'll open 2/27 now.
February 27, 2013 at 2:35AM     
olldroo
Bobbi - Did a bit of searching - black, white, coral, beige, nice but missing something. Then add aqua or a soft turquoise, not a dark one - voom!!!

[houzz=Newport Beach Project]

[houzz=Living Room]

[houzz=Mary Best Designs]

[houzz=Betsy Burnham]

[houzz=Tidal Marsh]
February 27, 2013 at 2:52AM     
olldroo
Is this the wallpaper Janis found only in a different colour?

]
February 27, 2013 at 2:53AM   
That might be a bit over the top for me, colorwise, but I do like the last picture. Have to remember it's a bathroom, it's small by nature and can't overload it. Let me see if R can take some pics tonight and I'll post tomorrow, ok?
February 27, 2013 at 2:55AM   
Looks like the same wallpaper, doesn't it! How hard could that be to paint, seriously! I mean, if you're not looking to do a whole wall it can't be that difficult!
February 27, 2013 at 2:56AM   
Ok, black and white is out of the picture. Too much conflict and it's giving me a headache! There's a whole lot of beige in there so I think I'll browse some Houzz pics for inspiration....stay tuned!
February 27, 2013 at 3:08AM   
olldroo
Bit like the lovely beach photo mp posted of Kiawah that is just perfect for my lounge room. I can't stop thinking about it. It is so simple too and the first thing I said to dd was how hard would it be to paint. For me impossible!!!

Yeah, I know the rooms are a bit grandiose, but this is Houzz!!! Just trying to get the colours for you.

What about black and white for your shower curtain and plain white for your windows that will attract more light into the room if you need it. Of course you could always have a plain white towel with the coral too. Black would be dramatic, but I hate black towels, remind me of hardressers' towels to hide all the dye stains.
February 27, 2013 at 3:08AM   
Here's a perfect example of what the walls look like: [houzz=Powder room]

And if you can picture this vanity as a single with a chocolate brown skirt: [houzz=master bathroom]

The floor looks like the upper tile, only linoleum: [houzz=The Ultimate His & Her Bathroom]
February 27, 2013 at 3:14AM   
You know, I think I'm going to do something simple and go white. White vanity skirt, white window treatments and white shower curtain.
February 27, 2013 at 3:19AM   
I like #1!

Roo, how's the painting going? Is he done already? And when do you start your kitchen remodel?
February 27, 2013 at 3:33AM   
olldroo
Of course you could always go your ochre and orange
February 27, 2013 at 3:35AM     
Doubtful! hehehe
February 27, 2013 at 3:36AM   
olldroo
Will you stop confusing me - you said your skirt was black and white!!!

I really like #1 too, very classy although not real cheap $27.99 in Targee.

I really like that wall colour, that is the mud colour I was talking about and you can get towels in shades of that and combine with coral - I likee.
February 27, 2013 at 3:44AM   
I got it! I know exactly what I'm going to do! Am I confusing you? hehehe

No, I said the fabric was black and white, the skirt is brown right now to match the vanity.

I have a set of light blue towels. Beige floor, beige and white walls. Sky, sand and surf!!!

I will paint the vanity either light blue or white, add a white skirt and white curtains. The shower curtain is beige, perfect. What do you think?
February 27, 2013 at 4:57AM   
janishill
Bobbi...you mentioned what I had been thinking. As I fell asleep last night I thought "how hard can it be to paint that wallpaper design?" Use the blue that is already in the cabinets as the base and add the shapes in co-ordinating colrs. Viola! Everything ties together beautifully and you are finally satisfied with your kitchen. Craft paints or leftovers you already have is all it will take.
February 27, 2013 at 5:10AM     
Roo, I think we're finally on the same planet!!! I have Battenburg lace panels on the window now but they're a bit too small so I will add some white panels as well. I have a wall art candle holder, I could add coral candles for the accent, and coral washclothes. I'll ask R to take some before pics tonight. Thanks for struggling with me!!!

Janis my dear, I love that idea! But instead of painting it inside the cabs, I need to get some white containers, like tin bowls or something along those lines to hold all my coffee pods, I believe I will paint that design on the containers. Pray for me??? hehehe
February 27, 2013 at 5:31AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, haven't we always been on the same planet??? Isn't Battenburg lace a bit gone now?? I think just dead plain white/white in a thick sheer will really bring light into the room. Yep coral candles and washcloths, even a hand towel, will be just enough. That was no struggle, that was easy, once we got our facts sorted. Knowing you, that will only keep you amused for a day or maybe two.

Why don't you check out a $2 shop for some nice glass jars for your pods? Would you need a lid on them? If you don't need a lid, I've even seen some round vases that open at the top front to put your hand in, but they store things really nicely.
February 27, 2013 at 6:13AM   
Roo, I love Battenburg lace so I don't care if it's out of style or not!!! The blue towels have been throwing me, I always thought they were the anamoly in the room but instead they turned into the inspiration. Who knew.

I will check out the dollar store, I might also look into canning jars, mega cheap and they hold a lot!

Get some sleep!
February 27, 2013 at 6:36AM     
lisalovesquilts
Thanks ladies and gents for the advice re ganglion cyst, now that I'm diagnosed I'll make a doctor's appointment! My distrust stems from a house-call when I was a teenager. I was very sick, sore stomach and the doctor examining me said "I think it's your appendix" to which I replied "may I draw your attention to this large abdominal scar?"
Re exercise. I am not so far gone as I can't be fixed so I'm determined to make an effort. I feel myself losing abilities little by little and I know it's sheer laziness. My cousin's wife was in the same boat so she started exercising and she really looks great now. If you don't hear me mention it again you'll know I'm backsliding! The good news is that although I put on a good bit of weight it has stabilized so I can work on going down the scale.
February 27, 2013 at 6:45AM     
If there is one thing I can say to anyone who thinks they may be overweight - lose it and excersize. Bad knees and wrists and achey joints can all be fixed. Diabetes is forever. Not eating what you like stinks, the meds are terrible and God forbid - insulin.

Lose it and excersize. It will make a difference!
February 27, 2013 at 6:49AM     
OLLD 2/6
Morning everyone! Creeser, I hope you're feeling...
OLLD 5/26
Where is everybody? It's already almost 4 AM here!...
OLLD 4/26
Morning! Can you believe April is almost over??? ...
OLLD 6/26
Morning all! I have a question for you, kittypa! ...
OLLD 8/26
Monday, Monday. Morning everyone!! This is for you...
Wooden fire place
Can this look be accomplished with a wooden fireplace?...
Front door color suggestions please!
I am considering painting the side lights and trim...
Decor help
Working on finishing out our new dining and living...
Kitchen Cabinet Paint
We are having our kitchen cabinets painted white and...
Need help on open kitchen and living area.
Need suggestions on kitchen, living room and dining...